[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Sorry, I missed this post earlier. It isn't possible (by default) to get Antimatter direct from the VAB but you can land antimatter tanks at the space centre and fuel up your crafts with that.

Ah. Not the easiest thing to do for me. There should be a mod that makes building a particle on the ground accelerator possible and produce antimatter without going into space. There could be large rovers ferrying antimatter containers to another structure which can be upgraded by adding more antimatter containers to it. Since, in 0.23, the player has the ability to modify the amount of fuel a craft launches with they can add some antimatter to the antimatter tanks on their crafts. There can be a display inside the construction buildings which shows the amount of antimatter left in the collection building. A way to balance this could be the necessity to add generators to the building as the antimatter capacity increases.

Ah. Not the easiest thing to do for me. There should be a mod that makes building a particle on the ground accelerator possible and produce antimatter without going into space. There could be large rovers ferrying antimatter containers to another structure which can be upgraded by adding more antimatter containers to it. Since, in 0.23, the player has the ability to modify the amount of fuel a craft launches with they can add some antimatter to the antimatter tanks on their crafts. There can be a display inside the construction buildings which shows the amount of antimatter left in the collection building. A way to balance this could be the necessity to add generators to the building as the antimatter capacity increases.

You can build huge "rover" with few reactors, labs, antimatter containers and docking port and park it somewhere near KSC. Then build smaller one to get this antimatter and transport it to the launchpad.

Lab can produce antimatter anywhere, it just need two kerbals and 5GW of power.

Ah. Not the easiest thing to do for me. There should be a mod that makes building a particle on the ground accelerator possible and produce antimatter without going into space. There could be large rovers ferrying antimatter containers to another structure which can be upgraded by adding more antimatter containers to it.

The science lab does that already and its not to difficult to put a docking port on a rover and dock it to other things....

Since, in 0.23, the player has the ability to modify the amount of fuel a craft launches with they can add some antimatter to the antimatter tanks on their crafts.

This same request has been made with Kethane and denied, unless there is a limit in place then people will just launch with full tanks and never use the collection side.

There can be a display inside the construction buildings which shows the amount of antimatter left in the collection building. A way to balance this could be the necessity to add generators to the building as the antimatter capacity increases.

That sounds more like a feature request that would be better suited for all resource mods, not just KSPI Antimatter.

And its probably not an easy task....

Has anyone tried KSPI with Alternis Kerbol mod? I wonder if ISRU options still work with modified planets and moons.

If the planets have been renamed it won't work. I wanted to make it so that if someone did something different to the planets, such as what Nova is doing with Alternis Kerbol and what NathanKell is doing with RSS, they wouldn't be stuck with inappropriate planet crustal/atmospheric/oceanic resources definitions.

There are three .cfg files in the PlanetResourceData folder that can easily be modified to make it work.

That sounds more like a feature request that would be better suited for all resource mods, not just KSPI Antimatter.

And its probably not an easy task....

It isn't but I am sort of interested in the idea of people being able to stockpile resources that they have collected so that they become available in the VAB, it would preserve the in game difficulty of collecting up the advanced resources but remove the annoyingness of having to transfer resources to ships on the launchpad.

I have some vague ideas how to do it but nothing more than that yet.

It isn't but I am sort of interested in the idea of people being able to stockpile resources that they have collected so that they become available in the VAB, it would preserve the in game difficulty of collecting up the advanced resources but remove the annoyingness of having to transfer resources to ships on the launchpad.

I have some vague ideas how to do it but nothing more than that yet.

I was thinking Majiir would have a few ideas, he has been running Kethane a while i'm sure the idea has been bouncing in his head at least once :)

By the way there is one problem with tritium now. Reactors contain so much, that breeding is never really needed, if you are not going to construct self-sufficient base.

Just transferring it from reactors to external tanks is also enough to get He-3.

And DT Vista has so much D/T in internal storage that it usually does not need any refuel.

May be reducing this amounts a bit is good idea, because now it makes things a bit too easy.

Also one another idea - may be fusion reactor restart should require some amount of fuel? Something like 0.5 for 1.25m reactor? Because now it is just too easy, 0.1 He-3 seems enough for any propulsion needs, you just have to remember to shut down reactors after burn.

Edited by Lightwarrior

I was thinking Majiir would have a few ideas, he has been running Kethane a while i'm sure the idea has been bouncing in his head at least once :)

He may but I would suspect the idea is almost irrelevant for Kethane. Afterall, there isn't really any significant advantage to starting with full or partially full Kethane tanks in the VAB. On the other hand, access to Helium-3, Tritium and Antimatter are all game altering.

For now though, I'm making a thermal mechanics helper in the VAB top priority in terms of new features. This will give you information on how much WasteHeat your ship will produce, resting radiator temperatures, etc and colour code your heat dissipation into three categories: Green: can dissipate enough heat to cool all reactors at 100%, Orange: can dissipate enough heat to cool all reactors at minimum power and Red: ship will always overheat in space.

This will help you figure out the efficiency of generators too.

He may but I would suspect the idea is almost irrelevant for Kethane. Afterall, there isn't really any significant advantage to starting with full or partially full Kethane tanks in the VAB. On the other hand, access to Helium-3, Tritium and Antimatter are all game altering.

I have seen people set up large operations at the KSC and fuel there craft from Kethane only.

For now though, I'm making a thermal mechanics helper in the VAB top priority in terms of new features. This will give you information on how much WasteHeat your ship will produce, resting radiator temperatures, etc and colour code your heat dissipation into three categories: Green: can dissipate enough heat to cool all reactors at 100%, Orange: can dissipate enough heat to cool all reactors at minimum power and Red: ship will always overheat in space.

Yes that sounds very helpful :)

Also I found another bug with Thermal Turbojets, when you save and load the engines revert back to Atmo mode which is bad if you saved at a critical moment before a burn and come back and have to switch all your engines back to propellent.

Heh, I was just about to re-post an idea that got lost about thirty pages ago and I see you're doing it anyway. I was thinking of an indicator with a colour display, red for 'heat will never stabilize', yellow for 'will stabilize over 75% waste heat bar', and green for below that. Do two, one for space (with all panels unfolded) and one for on Kerbin with atmospheric dissipation and it should cover the two extreme conditions. Have that in the VAB and it should help while building.

I'm glad to see you're doing something to make it a bit more obvious how heat will affect a ship during designing. Way to go Fractal_UK

Pardon the interjection,

I've been dicking around with Interstellar in career mode and researched the first tier Nuclear Tech recently. Looking at the given ISP formulas and then the reactor temperature, as well as doing some simple testing on the launch pad, I don't understand what circumstances would convince anyone to use a Reactor + Thermal Rocket Nozzle.

They appear to be by far the worst form of TWR/ISP available.

Has anyone been able to make the first tier Nuclear Tech viable? If so, how? (This would be the un-upgraded Nuclear Reactors + Nozzles of various sizes)

I'll just repost my earlier report, could you look at it ?

Bug report :

- Fusion reactor doesn't show laser power consumption in the mouseover menu in VAB (I think it should show the highest of the 3 modes). I tracked it back to line 71 in FNFusionReactor.cs. By the way, there are 3 variables (initial_laser consumption, laserPower, powerRequirements) that might describe 2 things. Also, your code indentation in some of the other files is terrible :D

- Generators sometimes show maximum power output 0, even when their current output is > 0. That also messes up the numbers in GUI showing total power, utilization etc.

- Tritium breeding doesn't work without higher time warp. I realize this might be a problem with the game, not this mod, but I don't know, so I included it.

Questions / suggestions :

- How to get He-3 ?

I would also suggest a new feature to mine it on bodies without atmosphere (He-3 Abundance) and from low Jool orbit (like Project Daedalus).

- Does enabling tritium breeding in reactors have any drawbacks ? (higher fuel consumption or something) If not, it should probably be permanently active.

- Can the refinery mine lithium and where ? It says "lithium mining offline" when I look at it on the launchpad.

Related suggestion - adding smaller lithium container (the only one available has 500 units of lithium and weighs a lot).

Also, should I join the wiki editing team ? The wiki needs improvement.

I forgot to mention that fusion reactors don't need the extra power to start. I had one that needs 7 MW to start and the smallest nuclear reactor (which produces < 3 MW) and the fusion reactor was able to start. I don't know if it's intentional or not.

I'm also completely confused about generators. Did you change how they behave in the last update ? I think they used to have a maximum output power, no ? It would also make sense if they did. Now it seems like one generator will do everything. And on the wiki it says that generators have to be connected to the reactor, which isn't enforced in the game.

And what about radiation - is it something for a future update ? Because now it doesn't seem to do anything. I had a Kerbal stand directly beneath a running DT Vista engine on the launchpad and he seemed fine.

I'll just repost my earlier report, could you look at it ?

I forgot to mention that fusion reactors don't need the extra power to start. I had one that needs 7 MW to start and the smallest nuclear reactor (which produces < 3 MW) and the fusion reactor was able to start. I don't know if it's intentional or not.

I'm also completely confused about generators. Did you change how they behave in the last update ? I think they used to have a maximum output power, no ? It would also make sense if they did. Now it seems like one generator will do everything. And on the wiki it says that generators have to be connected to the reactor, which isn't enforced in the game.

And what about radiation - is it something for a future update ? Because now it doesn't seem to do anything. I had a Kerbal stand directly beneath a running DT Vista engine on the launchpad and he seemed fine.

Power to start the fusion reactors can now be met with ElectricCharge, it needs a fair amount but a moderately sized battery or similar will handle it.

As for generators, I haven't changed anything about the way they work other than tweaking numbers for a good four major versions. They don't have a maximum power and never have, they just scale down power be size if you use a differently sized generator and reactor. Direct attachment is enforced, try building a ship with a reactor and something between it and its generator and see how much power you get.

Radiation is something I'm working on (slowly).

The plugin crashes my game after a few minutes of playing. It does this every time. Error.log says it's caused by mono.dll. I'm almost certain it isn't an out-of-memory error - According to the log, RAM usage was at 75% when it crashed.

This is the end of the output log file:

(0x100010C6) (mono): (filename not available): set_vprintf_func + 0xc6

(0x100010E7) (mono): (filename not available): set_vprintf_func + 0xe7

(0x100A0510) (mono): (filename not available): mono_debugger_breakpoint_callback + 0x300e

(0x100A691F) (mono): (filename not available): mono_debugger_breakpoint_callback + 0x941d

(0x100ED0EB) (mono): (filename not available): mono_jit_thread_attach + 0x13d8

(0x100F7C46) (mono): (filename not available): mono_set_defaults + 0xa20f

(0x779E62FE) (ntdll): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0

(0x779CB692) (ntdll): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0

(0x779CB354) (ntdll): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0

(0x77980133) (ntdll): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0

(0x101067FA) (mono): (filename not available): mono_set_defaults + 0x18dc3

(0x1010684E) (mono): (filename not available): mono_set_defaults + 0x18e17

(0x10106AE3) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0xc2

(0x10106E62) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x441

(0x10106E81) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x460

(0x10106E28) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x407

(0x10106E62) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x441

(0x10106E81) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x460

(0x10106E28) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x407

Having considered how anti-matter farming might be done I came up with this.

http://imgur.com/a/0rWhH

Twenty labs (354 parts total). It can produce 480mg of AM each day. If using plasma thrusters that is enough to put a 30t payload in orbit. (i'm just guessing based on my earlier attempts in sandbox mode)

That is just twenty. If i'm feeling ambitious I could expand that out to 50. If i was feeling like Whackjob I'd expand it out to 100+ and make a crawler that could transport 5 labs at a time.

Sadly, the Kracken covets this construction something fierce. I found out early on that every time I crawled out there with a new segment some kind of static builds up in the coordinate system. This affects KAS but it may affect docking as well. When 'docking' the segments together whichever side gets docked to gets hurled away at some insane speed. I found the only way to clear the issue was to quicksave (F5) and immediately quickload (F9) just before attempting a linkage.

Anyway, I can fill a 1.25m AM tank every 21 days which isn't bad.

Bags! How do I post an imgur album? Nothing I do wants to display correctly.

Pardon the interjection,

I've been dicking around with Interstellar in career mode and researched the first tier Nuclear Tech recently. Looking at the given ISP formulas and then the reactor temperature, as well as doing some simple testing on the launch pad, I don't understand what circumstances would convince anyone to use a Reactor + Thermal Rocket Nozzle.

They appear to be by far the worst form of TWR/ISP available.

Has anyone been able to make the first tier Nuclear Tech viable? If so, how? (This would be the un-upgraded Nuclear Reactors + Nozzles of various sizes)

Well, not sure if viable, but i still like to use them, even that the LV-N is OP AND doesn't have any penalties, expect minor overheating on LOOONG burns. 2.5m reactor/nozzle combo has 300 or so KN with thorium, so its decent to propel 2.5m ships. The 3.75m has 2200 KN thrust with Thorium, but it weights...a lot. Add to that, that i like to build large ships that can be b*tch to lift from ground, but... :D

IF something i like to whine, is the power production, i usually fit my nuke powered ships with solar arrays even there's a reactor in the bottom of the ship. Its just that i don't wish to carry the proper size generator with the ship as i don't have the need for it's power. Fitting smaller generator doesn't look very good on the ship, nor very sturdy. Some sort of side mounted generators would become handy, similar like those small radiators... (hint,hint)

Power to start the fusion reactors can now be met with ElectricCharge, it needs a fair amount but a moderately sized battery or similar will handle it.

Oh yes, that explains a lot. You could add that information to the tooltip of fusion reactors - something like "requires 4000 charge/4 MJ to start up" (or whatever the number is).

As for generators, I haven't changed anything about the way they work other than tweaking numbers for a good four major versions. They don't have a maximum power and never have, they just scale down power be size if you use a differently sized generator and reactor.

Ok, I did some testing and went through the source code and I get it now. There are just 2 problems :

- When I attach bigger generator, its power is scaled down. That is, if 1.25m generator gives 100% power, then 0.625m and 2.5m generators both give 25%. Not sure if that's intentional.

- The bigger problem is that different generators can "share" the same reactor. E.g. I have reactor A attached to generator A, and on a different part of the vessel reactor B attached to generator B. If I turn off generator A, the thermal/charge power from reactor A is fed into generator B. The same thing with turning off reactors. There is a "link" between reactor A and generator B / reactor B and generator A that shouldn't be there.

Also, could you respond to the quoted part of my previous message (the parts that weren't addressed already) ? I posted it like 3 times already. If I'm bothering you, just tell me to go away or something.

What are those?

KB2882822,KB2859537,KB2872339

Now, after deleting few more mod files, the game will load all the way, and then crash in the main menu when i click settings, or when i click resume saved game.

I'm fairly sure it's because there's too much RAM being used, as it goes to 3.8gb until it crashes, but why the hell does my PC use sooooo much more RAM to run the same game?

Edited by jallious

Fractal has stated that you don't need to full EC cost for very long, a few frames, to power up a fusion reactor. That's why a battery with less EC than the equivalent MW can start a fusion reactor. As long as you have a generator on board to provide the needed ongoing power requirements for the reactor's laser, you can also just strap a couple big batteries to launch clamps so you don't have to haul them around if you don't need them. Also very nice that you can now perform a reactor restart with a big battery and more traditional low power sources like RTG's and small solar panels. Very nice for saving fuel inbetween engine burns on long missions.

In regards to the KB things, those are names for specific Windows updates.

What are those?

KB2882822,KB2859537,KB2872339

Now, after deleting few more mod files, the game will load all the way, and then crash in the main menu when i click settings, or when i click resume saved game.

I'm fairly sure it's because there's too much RAM being used, as it goes to 3.8gb until it crashes, but why the hell does my PC use sooooo much more RAM to run the same game?

This are windows security updates which caused same error you had while trying to run 32 bit apps on some systems. May be this happens while trying to load one of plugins (dll's). Also this all are only attempts to guess possible cause of cource.

is 3.8Gb is overall system usage? If so it is not very much. I had low memory warnings an system with 8Gb with KSP and it still was working fine.

No, just ksp using that much when it crashes.

I managed to do a work-around for the problem. Load the game without mods, set the textures to half res, then load the mods after that. I can monitor how much RAM it uses, and up to half res is good.

Alright I can't seem to reprocess nuclear fuel with the most recent update. I have spare capacity for depleted fuel, and somewhere to put the uranium. The reactor is more than half filled with Actinides. I got more than enough power of course. What could I be doing wrong? Does the reactor need to be shut down now?