FAR + NP no agility, or short: "Am I doing it wrong?"

Uhm, hi there...

Following issue:

Got the NovaPunch mod for some heavy lifting purposes together with FAR (i like realistic aerodynamics). Built a rocket with fairing including a probe and 4 strap ons with winglets attached to the 3,75m main rocket. The thrust is outstanding, it can lift itself on full throttle up to 400m/s in 5000m. But i cant steer :mad: ASAS blocks all my key input, flying rock-solid straight up, without SAS it's reacting very slow.

Are there other Propulsion items i can use to put some agility at my space lift? :D

Sorry if there is an issue already here, found nothing according to my Problem in the next few sides.

Edited by Tyren
Answered

Could be several issues,

1. is that NovaPunch may not be compatible with FAR as of yet. I know fairings tend to cause strange anomalies under the influence of FAR, I remember procedural fairings had some issues before it became compatible with FAR. In Scott Manley's video about the procedural fairings he shows it using FAR flight dynamics, and it literally was doing flips by the time it reached 100m/s.

2. what are you doing going 400m/s at 5000m? I try to limit my speed to >200m/s until I <10,000m, because beneath that 200m/s is when the most aerodynamic stresses are placed on your ship. Slow down, and perhaps you will have a little more control. Also, make sure your center-line engines are gimbaling.

Hope this helps

Usually i hold in the borders of terminal speed...but i wanted to know how much thrust it REALLY has, so far i didnt find the terminal speed of this monster. Reducing Speed I tried, but it didnt work. Feels like a invisible thread pulling my craft up to the sky :o FAR and NOva seems working together, i think my craft is TOO stable :o

I cant provide .craft files or pics atm, i am at work :sealed:

The winglets will help you only up to a certain height/dence atmosphere.

(Winglets should be attached quite low on the rocket - and remember you will loose them if you seperate the lower stage ... ;) )

In the Control tab in the VAB are several (A)SAS parts - add some (more) to your design.

Beware that they are not necessarily structurally sound. I head the big part break (without struts) off of a tank below under thrust.

Very high in the atmosphere/in space you can use RCS thrusters - but I didnt need/use them for a long time now, seem to be getting better at building more stable ... or at strutting. :P

The novapunch ASAS parts still use the old ASAS system.

Is that the reason for my "overstableness"? Cant explain the Feeling, steering with ASAS on is like try to push a house :o

Edit:

Solution achieved. Thanks to you all, it is working with RCS Thrusterbundles at the aft of the rocket...the CoM is veeeery low, so it is absolutely bad to turn arround...together with the good aerodynamic shape and the massive thrust no way to get it where i want.

Now it's working :thumbsup:

Edit for autofailure due to german Software -.-

Edited by Tyren

My fairings are pFairings. I finally managed to get my station into an 100 km orbit with that monster rocket :D

le station "Big Rock'ead" is now rimming around Kerbin and scanning for Kethane :D

My fairings are pFairings. I finally managed to get my station into an 100 km orbit with that monster rocket :D

le station "Big Rock'ead" is now rimming around Kerbin and scanning for Kethane :D

It's for reasons like this that I tend to build my stations in small pieces.:)

The novapunch ASAS parts still use the old ASAS system.

No, no they do not. If you have old-style ASAS (or any NP parts labaled ASAS at all, you need to uninstall everything and start clear, I removed the ASAS parts and only have SAS/Reaction Wheel Combos now.

Also, I haven't done anything to make NP FAR-compatible and honestly people have only mentioned it to be a couple of times. I have no idea what the conflict might be.

You can limit the amount of thrust MechJeb uses. I think it's called "throttle limit" under the "Utility" window. You might also try turning on "limit to terminal velocity" in the ascent autopilot, although I don't know how that will interact with FAR.

Ias

Tried both, Mechjeb misses the "intuitivity" of burning/stopping the engines if it gets wobbly respective unstable. This thing is not to get in space in the linear manner :D If i dont forget it again, i can show up some pics of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.