[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Personally, I like my Jool green

gikp.png

I also got a half-decent Kerbin with clouds going.

wv8x.png

Unfortunately, on closer inspection it's painfully low resolution, doesn't line up correctly, and the clouds don't tessellate properly.

a4q4.png

I'm using kethane, no problems. Are you sure you installed the textures correctly? If they are in the wrong folder this would happen.

Edit: Sorry, i don't know, haven't tried the newest version of kethane.

well the newest version supposedly has a wobbly map fix but seems to break this mod hope it gets sorted soon

Can someone give me pictures of each pack? Because everyone is posting pictures, but I have no idea which pack are they using.

This would be useful. Ideally, the posters of the textures could include a screenshot of space with their texture loaded.

This would be useful. Ideally, the posters of the textures could include a screenshot of space with their texture loaded.

Yeah, because all the pictures that everyone is posting are really cool and I want to have the same things in my game, but again, I have no idea which pack are they using :( We could make a post dictated just to packs publishing that will promote and encourage people to make more.

Sorry to spam but I think this is an awesome improvement :D

NvL6lcP.jpg

Personally, I like my Jool green

gikp.png

I also got a half-decent Kerbin with clouds going.

wv8x.png

Unfortunately, on closer inspection it's painfully low resolution, doesn't line up correctly, and the clouds don't tessellate properly.

a4q4.png

What pack are you two using?

Yes, it's also reverted to the default skybox for me. I checked the game log & didn't see any relevant warnings, and it reported all the textures loading, but nothing shows up in scene.

i too had this same issue, when installing last night. Even though the mod loads the game reverts back to the original textures. I did not try then but seeing here that the newest version of kethane causes this which i too have installed. I will try tonight when i get home to remove kethane and see if the mod loads correctly.

So after seeing people struggle with creating new textures due to the lack templates and references, I decided to write a short explanation on how can you retrieve the original ones. Please be reminded that it is against the KSP EULA and Forum Rules to distribute the original content contained which is contained in the '/KSP_Data/*.assets' files - this does not apply to Parts, so anything from the '\GameData\Parts\' folder can be publicly shared, like Parts and GUI.

So to get started, you need to find the original name of the texture you are wanting to modify. To do so, open the 'UniverseReplacer.cfg' file located in 'GameData\UniverseReplacer\Plugins\PluginData\UniverseReplacer', this file holds aliases for the original texture names. The names on the left side of the equals(=) symbol are the original ones you are looking for. You have two places to look in to find the texture. Names without a directory like 'GalaxyTex_NegativeX' are located inside the '/KSP_Data/*.assets' files, and textures with like 'Squad/Parts/Command/mk1pod/model000' are found in the '/GameData/' folder relative to their name.

The textures found inside the .assets folder are '.tex' files which must first be extracted and converted into a usable format. I use the tool Unity Assets Explorer 1.2. The tool is pretty self explanatory, open the .assets file, sort by name and find the .tex file, then right click on it and hit 'Extract this File' - make sure 'Convert TEX to DDS' is checked. The extracted file will then be located in a sub folder named like the .assets file, for example 'UnityAssetsExplorer-1.2/sharedassets0/file.dds (you can ignore the .tex file that is extracts with it). If you need a DDS importer plugin for Photoshop, get it here. Most of the textures are located in the files sharedassets10, then sharedassets2 and sharedassets0.

As for the Part textures, they are in a .MBM format. There is a KSP wiki guide on how to convert these here. The 'Editing Textures as .RAW Images' is what worked best for me, Photoshop will 'guess' correct most of the time, I've only had trouble with NormalMap texures which required me manually enter values. Normally halving the guessed resolution down to the DiffuseMap resolution, using a channel count of 2 and depth of 16 bits with the byte order IBM PC does the trick. This will give you a 2 channel alpha image which is of course not what you want - just manually create a new normal file and copy the channel images over to the RGB and ALPHA channels. I might want to note that most textures need to be vertically flipped. I think people that have Unity installed can take an easier route using the official PartTools, but I'm not sure because I haven't tried it.

I hope this helps, have fun creating texture packs.

Edited by Tingle

What happens when we create a sharedassets11.assets and put our changed textures (in correct format and relative directory) in that? Does KSP load these assets sequentially and what happens when a texture is in them twice?? Old one loads, new one loads? Load both? Or is only one used?

This would allow for total replacement, like sounds, shaders, effects and textures with 0 performance impact (assuming resolutions stay sane)

Has anyone ever actually tried this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pubhul2d3ak81a/Dash%20Kerbalverse%201.jpg

If anyone is interested...

Im running triple monitor so im trying to optimize for that.

Dosnt look to shabby on one monitor either.

Fantastic work getting this app up!

Ive been waiting to play with the backgrounds.

More and better to come I feel.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/bi0vwlqc53d5rpo/GameData.rar

What happens when we create a sharedassets11.assets and put our changed textures (in correct format and relative directory) in that? Does KSP load these assets sequentially and what happens when a texture is in them twice?? Old one loads, new one loads? Load both? Or is only one used?

This would allow for total replacement, like sounds, shaders, effects and textures with 0 performance impact (assuming resolutions stay sane)

Has anyone ever actually tried this?

.assets files are loaded on demand, normally when the object or material is created that needs them. I don't know what the load priority is, or if Unity even has one and anticipates overriding assets. If you where capable of editing a .assets file, you could of course replace the original assets directly like that - but that goes against the EULA stating that no files outside the GameData directory are to be edited and distributed. Also, the plugin enables a easy to use textures pack structure which is much easier for end users to use than replacing .assets files or replacing Parts from the GameData folder. And the plugin will offer more than just simple texture replacing, for example - I am currently working on a Kerbal variety feature so you can have different looking Kerbals.

Indeed your plugin makes it easier for some things, but I am not giving up on replacing the sunglare and effects that easily ;) With Unity we can create our own "assets" bundles. The only real issue would be whether it loads a new assets bundle we created. With the tool you linked we can replace a file inside an assets bundle (be it ours or KSP) with an modified version with just a right click action. So we just have to tell Unity to make an assets bundle with the file we want to change.

Basically, tool + modified effect files = mod that changes sunglare ;)

If we had our own assets file, and Unity loaded it correctly in the right order, we could distribute that without EULA issues and without requiring end-user to fiddle around with that tool.

If that doesn't work, then with the tool we could still make a mod that does the same thing. Although with more clicks involved to avoid EULA issues.

Well I found the sun related textures, but the way they designed that particular texture flare makes higher resolution replacements impossible, still I found what I wanted ;P Let's see whether that can't look a bit better... yay :D

Edited by eRe4s3r

i too had this same issue, when installing last night. Even though the mod loads the game reverts back to the original textures. I did not try then but seeing here that the newest version of kethane causes this which i too have installed. I will try tonight when i get home to remove kethane and see if the mod loads correctly.

Yeah it works fine again when you remove the latest kethane

Indeed your plugin makes it easier for some things, but I am not giving up on replacing the sunglare and effects that easily ;) With Unity we can create our own "assets" bundles. The only real issue would be whether it loads a new assets bundle we created. With the tool you linked we can replace a file inside an assets bundle (be it ours or KSP) with an modified version with just a right click action. So we just have to tell Unity to make an assets bundle with the file we want to change.

Basically, tool + modified effect files = mod that changes sunglare ;)

If we had our own assets file, and Unity loaded it correctly in the right order, we could distribute that without EULA issues and without requiring end-user to fiddle around with that tool.

If that doesn't work, then with the tool we could still make a mod that does the same thing. Although with more clicks involved to avoid EULA issues.

Well I found the sun related textures, but the way they designed that particular texture flare makes higher resolution replacements impossible, still I found what I wanted ;P Let's see whether that can't look a bit better... yay :D

Just did some tests, overriding doesn't work. Only thing you can do is edit the existing file - but that isn't an option.

What pack are you two using?

I'm making my own. I'm almost done with Kerbin and I'll release it. Heck I'll even throw in a version without clouds for other people to edit.

Once I rip out Eve, Duna, and Laythe I'll add clouds to them as well.