[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Arg, where is that Kerbal2? I spend so much time hunting threads for good info, Lolz.

Sorry ;) It's here http://filesmelt.com/dl/Kerbin2.tga

######################

To clarify, the 1px kerbin2 hack is for a texture that is MATTE on the land and GLOSSY on the oceans and that has an ALPHA channel in kerbin1

This only applies to 2 textures in entire thread (as far as I am aware) (And I should have mentioned this ^^) But I thought I was being sufficiently clear as I wrote it like, 3 times, that this only applies to the specific 8k matte textures.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/44135-0-21-x-Universe-Replacer-v3-0?p=581825&viewfull=1#post581825

8k PNG Matte - 32 MB

8k PNG Matte with Clouds - 51 MB

If you have either of those 2 textures, then the 1px kerbin2 hack will do what I showed

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/44135-0-21-x-Universe-Replacer-v3-0?p=585983&viewfull=1#post585983

This is because specular is calculated differently for these 2 textures, as the alpha channel in kerbin1 defines the cut-out for specular.

###############

Put it next to kerbin1 , make sure you only got 1 of each in Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UniverseReplacer\Textures\Planets\Kerbin

But this is not a fancy thing, just a single pixel to disable the bumpmap. So it's not listed as a texture pack anywhere ;P

Edited by eRe4s3r

Seriously? No difference at all? -.-

Can you read this?

mpxyWJu.jpg

XD79CUw.png
No Difference? Is that a joke? The difference is visible even on the lower res 4:3 screen on my graphics work station. Either way, Squad has to cater to lap heaters .. which their users think should run games but really heating laps is all they are good for, and we do not. We can push the limits of current modern day technology, Squad can not (given they want to sell this, and we quite literally don't).

Native

wMgJuZIl.jpg

8k Cloud Matte + Rareden

0nFlhG4l.jpg

8k Cloud Matte + 1px Kerbin2 + Rareden

5exmemul.jpg

Difference between 1px kerbin2 "hack" and without it can be especially seen in the upper left corner of the planet. Notice the mountain bump map being where clouds are. I like the smoother effect of having bumpmap disabled, since the planet texture already has shadows. This hack essentially smooths clouds

Anyway, We can do graphical stuff that Squad can't do for good reasons. And if someone does not see a difference I am doubting their eye-sight. I can see the difference even in the thumbnails.... and really.. the difference between default and 8k res planet textures is even more drastic had I zoomed in closer ;

I see I made alot of people mad... Well the thing is I don't zoom that much in Kerbin, that is why I only use the clouds mod. I actully have a good eye sight and really, I don't see any difference... but again, everyone with thier own opinion.

Edit: And by difference I mean I see it's more HD, but it's not game changing thing. It's only good if you zoom in like hell.

Edited by eran100

Anyway, We can do graphical stuff that Squad can't do for good reasons. And if someone does not see a difference I am doubting their eye-sight. I can see the difference even in the thumbnails.... and really.. the difference between default and 8k res planet textures is even more drastic had I zoomed in closer ;

Thanks. Installed. :)

I see I made alot of people mad... Well the thing is I don't zoom that much in Kerbin, that is why I only use the clouds mod. I actully have a good eye sight and really, I don't see any difference... but again, everyone with thier own opinion.

Edit: And by difference I mean I see it's more HD, but it's not game changing thing. It's only good if you zoom in like hell.

The edges of the continents are more defined and there is more detail in the mountains (actually, there is more detail everywhere but its easier to see the increase in the mountains)

The edges of the continents are more defined and there is more detail in the mountains (actually, there is more detail everywhere but its easier to see the increase in the mountains)

I know, but for me it does not really matter, but again it's just me...

I know, but for me it does not really matter, but again it's just me...

It doesn't matters for me too, but it's always better to look at high quality textures than at standard quality textures.

I'd get 8K textures for Kerbin, but I have to lower the sea level so I don't lag while looking down in unmodded KSP... lol

That 1px hack looks like it screws up the normals. Shadows are on the wrong side of mountains and coasts. In order to do a proper smooth clouds without screwing up proper shadows, you'd have to do some sort of xor between clouds and ground textures.

Edited by JeBuSBrian

Anybody have any requests when it comes to skybox packs. Something that hasn't been done. Like one with heavy nebula graphics, or I was thinking of doing one that helps teach the constellations.

That would be a very good idea, me think! I don't know if I would use it everytime I run KSP, but it's much more easy to look at the stars for hours in KSP while messing around than in Stellarium (I love to do it too, but not for such long sessions), so my brain may learn more from a pedagogic skybox in KSP. :)

I searched this thread and I am not sure of this exists:

Is there an 8k texture for Duna with clouds? I found an 8k without clouds, and the cloud texture one appears to use the default texture detail.

Not yet, but Spacex is working on the 0.2 version of his 8K pack, which will include clouds for planets with atmospheres, and alpha management to avoid the plastic look of continents.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

That 1px hack looks like it screws up the normals. Shadows are on the wrong side of mountains and coasts. In order to do a proper smooth clouds without screwing up proper shadows, you'd have to do some sort of xor between clouds and ground textures.
The 1px hack screws up Kerbin and makes it super shiny for me.

I know I should have mentioned that in extra bold, but sometimes when I write the name of the texture pack this hack is for on the screenshots I post I really mean it literally ;)

To clarify, the 1px kerbin2 hack is for a texture that is MATTE on the land and GLOSSY on the oceans and that has an ALPHA channel in kerbin1

This only applies to 2 textures in entire thread (as far as I am aware) (And I should have mentioned this ^^) But I thought I was being sufficiently clear as I wrote it like, 3 times, that this only applies to the specific 8k matte textures. (It really applies to all planet textures with an alpha channel in the first texture ;p)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/44135-0-21-x-Universe-Replacer-v3-0?p=581825&viewfull=1#post581825

8k PNG Matte - 32 MB

8k PNG Matte with Clouds - 51 MB

If you have either of those 2 textures, then the 1px kerbin2 hack will do what I showed

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/44135-0-21-x-Universe-Replacer-v3-0?p=585983&viewfull=1#post585983

This is because specular is calculated differently for these 2 textures, as the alpha channel in kerbin1 defines the cut-out for specular.

And indeed, the correct interaction between Kerbin1 and Kerbin2 is extremely tricky to get right. believe me I didn't just throw this hack together because I was bored, nothing I did to kerbin1 and kerbin2 produced acceptable results in merging the specular/clouds/bump/land in a correct and pleasing way ;/

And yes, I also want heavily "nebula" graphic skybox. ^^

Ps.: Everything I post is experimental and should be regarded as such. That is why I won't ask Tingle to list it (this 1px hackity thingy only applies to specific textures, and the sun-flare has so far not been taken down, but I also didn't yet receive a real "ok" either.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Is there an 8k texture for Duna with clouds? I found an 8k without clouds, and the cloud texture one appears to use the default texture detail.

I don't think one exists yet. :( I, for one, am waiting for Laythe to get some 8k cloudy love.

hSWU5QN.jpg?1

Lathe from the 8K pack + light clouds + specular alpha.

Download

I have a question about the plugin. I have the orange suit textures (color and normal), the game changes the color textures but doesnt change the "SuitNormalMap". It keeps the white suit normals. It a bug?

Tnks and sorry for my bad english

I feel like I've kind of run out of usefulness. I need to make something. But what?

I'd like to see a lot more skybox options. The mod is new obviously, so I'm sure there will a bunch thrown out eventually. I've seen some in this thread that I liked that weren't set up for download :(

As someone above said, EVA suits would be sweet. A Raynor suit with skull would be sweet. Or lots of other suits :P

for the record, Mars does not have visible clouds, and Duna's atmosphere appears thinner than Mars' atmosphere.

Edited by GregroxMun

for the record, Mars does not have visible clouds, and Duna's atmosphere appears thinner than Mars' atmosphere.

Duna's atmo is actually much thicker.

Duna - 20.3 kPa (0.2 atm)

Mars - ~500 Pa (0.005 atm)

first thing that comes to mind, did you name it correctly?

I left it named as EVAhelmet since that is what is shown in the .txt file.

EDIT: Does case matter? Because I just noticed that the text file says "EVAHelmet" with an uppercase "H"

EDIT 2: Never mind, turns out it is case sensitive

Edited by djnattyd