Menu screen "Mun or Bust" rocket?

Wook

I was wondering if the "Mun or Bust" rocket you see on the "start game" page is in fact actually there... Just out of curiosity? If so, new mission! Thanks, and have a merry day.

Just a menu screen jab at Jeb's piloting skills, although that does not mean there aren't interesting bits on celestial bodies in game; theres little easter eggs and some funky geological formations about! For example, the mun has some really steep cliffs which are fun to jump over with a rover:

E97C2F6B7A177B70C6622FFFBFF6E021252DF91E

I remember driving over a cliff like that testing a Dres lander. Bad times.

Actually, that looks like the cliff near the Neil Armstrong Memorial on the Old Mun.

I'm pretty sure it is near there, I remember my rover going for a little tumble down there and damaging a wheel the first time I even got to the Mun.

The 'Mun or bust' rocket is a reference to Kurtjmac's series 'Farlands or bust' as he was one of the first big youtubers to give the game publicity. Of course Scott Manley is the big KSP guy now and they both have Kerbals named after them.

I soooo love the new Mun. It really has good Armstrong P66 needs at times. I almost landed on a slope that was steeper than CactusLynx' one and was only because I used the translatron that I managed to save it. Was quite scary as I leveled out about 6ft above the ground but a foot one way and I would have impacted for sure while a foot the other way and it was like a 12ft drop instead.

Actually I found the Apollo LEM's contact light wasn't actually a contact light. It was actually set off when the ship was within a few feet of the surface to allow for the reaction time of the pilot. When the light comes on and the pilot reaches over to turn off the engines if the contact was right on the pad then the LEM would have bounced up into the air again (well into space again). How many times have you guys done that in KSP? I know I've done it a few times. Going to simulate it in software at some point I think.

I soooo love the new Mun. It really has good Armstrong P66 needs at times. I almost landed on a slope that was steeper than CactusLynx' one and was only because I used the translatron that I managed to save it. Was quite scary as I leveled out about 6ft above the ground but a foot one way and I would have impacted for sure while a foot the other way and it was like a 12ft drop instead.

Actually I found the Apollo LEM's contact light wasn't actually a contact light. It was actually set off when the ship was within a few feet of the surface to allow for the reaction time of the pilot. When the light comes on and the pilot reaches over to turn off the engines if the contact was right on the pad then the LEM would have bounced up into the air again (well into space again). How many times have you guys done that in KSP? I know I've done it a few times. Going to simulate it in software at some point I think.

Actually, the "contact light" was a signal connected to a probe that extended 6 feet (I think) below the legs of the LEM. Once that light came on, the probe had touched the surface. But in any case, yes, a contact light or something similar would be great. I have been playing KSP again this weekend after a couple month break so my intincts and reflexes are rusty. I rebounded off the surface and screwed up more than one practice landing today - broke the lander real good too, but fortunately I had quicksaved before PDI and also, it was a remote controlled ship. When it was on the ground, it looked a lot like the "Mun or Bust!" ship though!

After I got it down, I went to go land on the far side today, thinking I was hot stuff and ready to land in the dark. Of course, I had the wrong low power lights on the bottom of my lander but tried it anyway. Ended up on a slope and began sliding down hill, fast. I hit the throttle and took off again really fast and managed to come down on a much more gentle slope, but all that used up so much fuel that I don't have enough gas to get home. I planted a flag and made a plaque, then limped up into a low Munar orbit. My rescue ship is heading their way as we speak.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.