Lifting Bodies

NinpoFox

Just wondering if anyone else is experimenting with lifting bodies like the old X-24. Here's my first test.

eaFVOIy.jpg

wzQZuYF.jpg

tL2uhFz.jpg

C7wUGsL.jpg

Iw5UiRw.jpg

I put the center of lift slightly forward of the center of gravity.

It floats like a leaf in the wind.

My next step is to take it to my space station and return.

I have been experimenting with lifting bodies, and I wish that support for it were implemented in the game. The trick for implementing it would be tricky though, as the only solution I can thing of entails cfg editing fuselages to be wings as well. This would bring about some balance issues though. I'm off to theorycraft how that might work!

After reading this thread I had a fun time spending an hour just building planes around a single SRB, launching them up, then gliding them back down to the runway. Kind of like the Natter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachem_Ba_349.

That's a lot closer to a missile than a lifting body. Lifting bodies are aircraft where the body itself creates most of the lift (see:Lifting Body).

I do believe that I incorrectly classified the 'Dyan-Soarer' as a blended wing body, though, as it's probably closer to a conventional aircraft than a BWB. My bad...:P

EDIT:

It'd be nice to not only have lifting bodies for planes, but also for capsules like in real life.

I'm currently learning Blender and intend to release some classic lifting body designs (as I said, I'm just starting out, so don't expect anything anytime soon)...

Edited by espm400

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing with this idea. These end up be more like rocket assist gliders than lifting bodies.

S4gm52p.jpg

EZfQqes.jpg

nuOlsgx.jpg

I'm creating more lift by attaching an extra set of wings on the fuselage at a lower location than the first and them rotating the new wings to "blend" them into the first.

This is my second "lifting body." I flew it to my space station and returned. Stability was an issue at launch and I had to stay "on top" of the nav ball to make it go straight up. At just over 10K altitude it calmed down and I leaned it over to 90 to set up rendezvous.

eZw4UQK.jpg

H237PU7.jpg

LyaLL0a.jpg

oK6fz9w.jpg

BjjdnOh.jpg

mjdyZRS.jpg

Lots of fun to fly. Needs to be trimmed up a little to maintain level flight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.