[WIP] Compact Rocketry v0.1.1

Naten

Hey guys, I made another engine, couldn't resist detailing it...

o_________________________o

wow. just, wow. just, so wow that i don't care about capital letters because it's so, just, so wow.

VVBPacJ.png

Uh-ohh, not really sure what I did here but the first three hours of sleep I have seen in three days (it might just be two, not sure yet) can definitely fix whatever stupid thing I did wrong. I am suspecting that I unwrapped it to the wrong UV image then imported in the wrong place. That is for tomorrow though. Tomorrow I also want to do some good high quality Unity importation stuff. I haven't done this in a month or two (gees, I'm out of shape) so it might have some interesting results. . .

pBwjKnm.jpg?1

For those interested in my sleep deprivedness, I participate in a high school activity called Debate. This week we had camp, so I did that, then I watched the new Percy Jackson movie. If you want to see it, don't. The books are far better. Finally I did some good old fashioned modelling for the DCSS which I continue to procrastinate. I have promised the folks over in that thread an update but my deadline always seems to slip by a week or three or five. Then I tried to work on this. or well never mind. Good night.

Forgot to post the download link for the cluster engine

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lya5sehav84mn0k/cr7clusterEngineReskined.blend

(EDIT) Didn't know you were sleep deprived Blazing.Think it'd be in your best interests to take a day off and catch up on some sleep :)

Also, interesting texturing you have going on there as well :P

One last thing that might help you out; in blender, in edit mode, you can select vertices in a certain area with the b key, and if you need

to multi-select vertices, shift-b helps as well. Just in case you didn't know :)

Edited by Mr.Desmond Tiny

Uh-ohh, not really sure what I did here but the first three hours of sleep I have seen in three days (it might just be two, not sure yet) can definitely fix whatever stupid thing I did wrong. I am suspecting that I unwrapped it to the wrong UV image then imported in the wrong place. That is for tomorrow though. Tomorrow I also want to do some good high quality Unity importation stuff. I haven't done this in a month or two (gees, I'm out of shape) so it might have some interesting results. . .

pBwjKnm.jpg?1

For those interested in my sleep deprivedness, I participate in a high school activity called Debate. This week we had camp, so I did that, then I watched the new Percy Jackson movie. If you want to see it, don't. The books are far better. Finally I did some good old fashioned modelling for the DCSS which I continue to procrastinate. I have promised the folks over in that thread an update but my deadline always seems to slip by a week or three or five. Then I tried to work on this. or well never mind. Good night.

are your normals flipped? or do you have a texture in your transparency channel?

Forgot to post the download link for the cluster engine

(EDIT) Didn't know you were sleep deprived Blazing.Think it'd be in your best interests to take a day off and catch up on some sleep :)

Also, interesting texturing you have going on there as well :P

One last thing that might help you out; in blender, in edit mode, you can select vertices in a certain area with the b key, and if you need

to multi-select vertices, shift-b helps as well. Just in case you didn't know :)

Yep can C is circle select. That is my favorite selection method.

are your normals flipped? or do you have a texture in your transparency channel?

Nope and nope but thanks. I accidentally made my image as a 1028 image. It was supposed to be 4156x4156 That is my problem.

Here's the "surprise" I was working on.

It's still a work in progress.

I present to you the SB-X1 Hermes solid booster. It's one of those 45cm-diameter parts I was rambling about, and how I was rambling about how I was going to make the models soon. Here.

Tell me what you think :)

It's not yet in the model package, I may ask Tiny to tweak it first.

Here, new model I made. It's crude as it will be tiny, and tiny things are harder to see, so details matter less. I just reduced polygons tenfold, to increase performance.

It's a pyrotechnical sprayer thing.

I organized the folders like this, as it may get complicated...

Pyrotechnicals -- Main folder. Holds all of these parts, as many will come.

common -- Holds common models and textures, so I don't have to remake the model.

textureTemplates -- Holds blank textures without special things on them.

models -- Holds the untextured common model for all of the pyrotechnical "sprayers"

emissives -- Will hold the colored smoke emissives designed for each color sprayer.

parts -- Will hold a folder for each pyrotechnical part in the series.

pyrotechnicalBlue -- holds the blue sprayer's part stuffs.

pyrotechnicalGreen -- holds the green sprayer's part stuffs.

pyrotechnicalRed -- holds the red sprayer's part stuffs.

pyrotechnicalSmoke -- holds the plain, stock exhaust smoke sprayer's part stuffs.

pyrotechnicalYellow -- holds the yellow sprayer's part stuffs.

textures -- Will hold the textures for each part.

Tell me what you think :)

Also, the emissives, well, I think Tiny or BlazingAngel may know how to set these up... :wink: to them.

As of right now custom fxs require a plugin.

What's the code for it? I think we can create an emissive map, but we need a plugin, as you said. Is the code simple? I hope it is.

Something like this?

load(fxPyrotechnicalRed)
load(vesselPart)
part = pyrotechnicalRed
partEmissive = fxPyrotechnicalRed
vectorType = [EmissivesVector]
EmissivesVector 0,0,0,1,0 = (x)

part = pyrotechnicalRed
partEmissive = fxPyrotechnicalRed
vector = x

This is all based off of my coding experience. Although, I haven't used Csharp often, only Lua much. So, it's more based off of Lua.

Hope you understand what I am getting at :)

Here, new model I made. It's crude as it will be tiny, and tiny things are harder to see, so details matter less. I just reduced polygons tenfold, to increase performance.

Its too crude, your cube shape should encompass the tip of the pyro sprayer thing instead of being separate geometry, als as a recommendation you should bevel or chamfer the edges just to give it a lil bit of life.

Its too crude, your cube shape should encompass the tip of the pyro sprayer thing instead of being separate geometry, als as a recommendation you should bevel or chamfer the edges just to give it a lil bit of life.

The textures will fix all of this, it's seriously less than 10 centimeters wide. :P

I don't think that something so tiny would need to be beautifully triangulated, as that only adds mo' polys and verts, and you know what that means.

I will use a triangle-like shape to bevel the edges, to give it some life, though. That is, if I figure out how. :wink:

-Naten

Here's what I made, it will probably be the last (liquid) engine we'll make before we make the other 2 boosters I plan for, fuel tanks and some other things that will be included with the mod kind of like "party favors," they will just be there as little goodies and treats.

It's the Cr-5 Vacuum. Mr Tony's unused tweak for the Cr-5 that would have represented the Cr-5 will find a home, probably as a 45cm engine. If it does, we'll make booster-shaped liquid fuel tanks to fuel it, and some little 45cm vertical tanks to make longer side (liquid) cores.

Tell me what you think, worked pretty hard on it. :) I think it's my best model so far, do you?

Cheers, Naten. :)

It's the Cr-5 Vacuum. Mr Tony's unused tweak for the Cr-5 that would have represented the Cr-5 will find a home, probably as a 45cm engine. If it does, we'll make booster-shaped liquid fuel tanks to fuel it, and some little 45cm vertical tanks to make longer side (liquid) cores.

Tell me what you think, worked pretty hard on it. I think it's my best model so far, do you?

Great model! You are definitely improving :)

As for my unused model, if you aren't going to use it as the Cr-5 Vacuum, that's completely fine. Making it into another engine type is just as good.

As for fuel tanks, I think those should be made next; making rockets is great, but whats the point if they they have no fuel, plus it'll give probes something else to carry around :P

One last thing, Blazing, we haven't really seen a texture from you in a little while, mind showing us what you've done so far :D

Alright executive order happening right now. ENOUGH FREAKING BOOSTERS!!!!! Make fuel tanks, or square things that are easy to unwrap please. Thank you. Honestly. We are at like ten engines.\rant

The lack of textures is due to two things.

#1 is my modular texture initiative. I am creating a bunch of png assets that go to every imaginable thing. This way Naten or you Mr. Tiny can just unwrap it onto a texture with the faces lining up however you want them to look. That save me a lot of time in the long run.

#2 is I imported the first engine into unity and got it working with *almost* no flaws. The nodes are off by a hair but that is a cfg thing that I am sure Naten can sort out. A video showcase and download will be up shortly.

Edited by BlazingAngel665

Great job on the texturing and getting the model into the game Blazing,

and nice fuel tank Naten, not very hard to create, I assume? :)

Not hard at all. Fuel tanks, I don't know what to put on 'em! I did shove those two pipes on the side, I guess coolant lines, or cryo tubes to keep the totally-not-just-kerosene liquid hydrogen fuel cold? I don't even know...:sticktongue:

Really, not hard. Quite easy, it was, just two 0.625m short cylinders on the top/bottom, two cylinders for those "unknown pipes," and a cylinder for the actual tank.

I did not yet add a shading modifier to it, I will soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.