[WIP] Compact Rocketry v0.1.1

Naten

If we have fuel tanks, let's make this mod special! Here's what we should fill them with.

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Hydrazine
density = 0.004
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = NitrogenTetroxide
density = 0.0035
transfer = PUMP
}

Here's what I made, a .cfg file for our special resources. It's in the very first version of the GameData folder I'm making. Once BlazingAngel gets the Mini SPS done, I'll throw it in there, too. And once we get the MFT-10 done, we can put that in, too, and release v0.1 of the mod! :D

If we have fuel tanks, let's make this mod special! Here's what we should fill them with.

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Hydrazine
density = 0.004
transfer = PUMP
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = NitrogenTetroxide
density = 0.0035
transfer = PUMP
}

Here's what I made, a .cfg file for our special resources. It's in the very first version of the GameData folder I'm making. Once BlazingAngel gets the Mini SPS done, I'll throw it in there, too. And once we get the MFT-10 done, we can put that in, too, and release v0.1 of the mod! :D

I vote no. Stock compatibility is>"special mod" Most people will want to expand the probe size parts. That means that we want them to be able to use our stuff with the stock tanks and what not, otherwise we get to do everything over from scratch.

I vote no. Stock compatibility is>"special mod" Most people will want to expand the probe size parts. That means that we want them to be able to use our stuff with the stock tanks and what not, otherwise we get to do everything over from scratch.

Alright, then. We can do that, maybe one version with stock compatibility and one "special" version? Everyone, tell us what you think so we can make this mod more enjoyable for you. Better now before we release it than ever. :)

Alright, then. We can do that, maybe one version with stock compatibility and one "special" version? Everyone, tell us what you think so we can make this mod more enjoyable for you. Better now before we release it than ever. :)

I don't like to vote because I'd rather have everyone else be happy rather than me, but I think a mix and match might be a good idea.

@BlazingAngel That's looking nice, I enjoy seeing the work you do.

I actually like this idea, but it would probably be best to wait for Squad to implement tweakable fuel tanks. Then you could add different fuel types with different characteristics and use them in whatever fuel tank you want.

I really like these parts, it's great to have more options for small probes and such. I do have one small suggestion though, change the order of the update log on the first page. It's always easier to put the most recent update at the top of the log so that we don't have to scroll down to see what has changed.

I actually like this idea, but it would probably be best to wait for Squad to implement tweakable fuel tanks. Then you could add different fuel types with different characteristics and use them in whatever fuel tank you want.

I really like these parts, it's great to have more options for small probes and such. I do have one small suggestion though, change the order of the update log on the first page. It's always easier to put the most recent update at the top of the log so that we don't have to scroll down to see what has changed.

If I get around to it :)

Probably not, but I'll see if I can.

I'm reading over all the new posts, and I personally think that two separate packs is best. Lets create one pack with the special fuel system, and the other without, that way people get a choice. It would the best way to get everyone what they want. If they want realistic fuel parts, or stock-alike parts, they can have either.

That, however, might take lots of time, so all stock works as well. Plus Blazing has a point, the majority of people might prefer stock compatible parts. So again, I go back to the double pack idea. It might take the most time, but hey, if it does the best, why not? :)

There might be a slight problem in the future with this though. I'm sure at least some of you have heard of Modular Fuel Systems? This mod does exactly that, so if it ever gets updated, it might nullify the use of the 'Realistic' fuel pack. Link to MFS: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31706-0-20-Modular-Fuel-System-1-3-realistic-fuels-reconfigurable-fuel-tanks-and-engines

Edited by Mr.Desmond Tiny

May I suggest stack solid boosters for ares I style launchers?

Also, what sort of payloads do you expect to orbit with a 0.625 m rocket?

You don't lift anything with .625 meter rocket. You put it in space decouple the fairings, then you send it places with the .625 meter parts. Also notice in the first video that the first engine is actually scaled to 1m sizes for orbital attainment.

Small rockets like these are also good for sub-orbital missions e.g. telemetry experiments, functionality tests, etc. The stuff NASA shoots off from Wallops, Va. is like this.

Exactly! :D

This is the launch of Hi-C, a sub-orbital satellite that was launched to take a look at the corona of the Sun.

This is what we're making the mod about, sort of, except we make tiny things capable of getting into orbit.

You don't lift anything with .625 meter rocket. You put it in space decouple the fairings, then you send it places with the .625 meter parts. Also notice in the first video that the first engine is actually scaled to 1m sizes for orbital attainment.

Ah, I think you have misunderstood this mod's purpose.

I wanted to make this so you don't need a rocket 3x as wide as the probe you wanted to launch to get it into orbit. There are engines, though, like the Cr-5 Vac variant that are made to take things somewhere. So, you were right and slightly wrong, just a small correction :wink:

I was reading the changelog in the first post, and I noticed that you said I was writing up a plugin. Naten, I thought I told you I have no coding experience, except for some experience with javascript :P

Plus high school is coming up with all honors, basically means that in a little while (2 weeks or so) I might not be able to help out, so any last things that need to be made/tweaked would be great if you sent me PM for it. Just a heads up :)

Edited by Mr.Desmond Tiny

I was reading the changelog in the first post, and I noticed that you said I was writing up a plugin. Naten, I thought I told you I have no coding experience, except for some experience with javascript :P

Plus high school is coming up with all honors, basically means that in a little while (2 weeks or so) I might not be able to help out, so any last things that need to be made/tweaked would be great if you sent me PM for it. Just a heads up :)

Ooh. Sorry, a big misunderstanding. Weren't you modifying a plugin? I don't know. I guess my hands are going ballistic while I'm not looking, as I keep typing things I don't remember... :P

I'm going to be going back to school, too, and I am going to 6th grade. My school district is messed up quite a lot, and 6th grade is still elementary, while 7th is middle school. I don't know why. The ironic thing is that we're about 40 points down below the national average on the main test we take to measure progress, the MAP test, while I get scores of around 45 points over the national average. It's still a mystery... :P

Our school district has 6th as part of elementary and 7th and 8th as part of high school. High school has worse homework. Trust me. Especially as you study for the ACT and try to get into engineering/law schools. Mr. Tiny I feel your pain. I debate and manage football too so my free time is about to sink like a pebble hopeful I will have my modular texture generator done by then though.

I'm sure high school has worse homework Blazing, considering I'm going to be a freshman this year, aka 9th grade.

Not looking forward to having all adv. courses, but hey, if it gets me into a good college, I certainly don't mind.

I'm my school district, we have grades 6-8 as middle school, so I guess my school district must seem weird to you guys :P

I am forced to do extra work, as I finish what takes my class about 1 hour to work through in about 3-10 minutes. So, I end up messing around with brain teasers and stuff while my classmates are allowed to read books with a Lexile rating of 400-600. I'm sure you know what Lexile is. My Lexile rating is ~1100-1160 despite I am 11 years old, leaving the only books I can read to Little Women, and a dictionary, I think... :P

So, I get around 3* as much work as the rest of my class...except my friend who also has a similar problem...we discuss the Cold War, potential manned missions to places like Mars, and aviation at recess, not to mention quantum physics... :P

The good thing is I finish my homework in around 3 minutes, and I do that while I am waiting to be taken home. :D So, I should have some free time.

I actually can't the reason being the accumulated compact rocket textures initiative. Or something like that which is basically me creating a bunch of asserts so you and Naten can UV unwrap it straight onto the textures. This will be much easier and involve fewer steps then our current model. If you watch the following space will eventually see a picture whenever imgurmdecides to upload it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.