Big Projects..

MrPopcup

One of the problems I ran in to with the Arkingthaad is the stock landing gear is just too bloody feeble. It's load bearing, sure, but Squad never had anything I've made in mind when designing those.

I needed something bigger.

And then I made something bigger.

#EDIT: And I've just thought of a way to improve on it.

My big project is a space station called Ascension Station. The first version of it was too laggy to be usable at nearly 1000 parts and more than 200 tons, and the version I'm making now looks to be just as laggy. The first pic is the whole station from 0.20, the second is the Mk II station core in orbit in 0.21.

n4CSQRJ.jpg

DKTdzHz.jpg

Hi, not posted here before, but I've been playing KSP since the very beginning.

I recently bought myself a nice new computer and therefore had to restart my KSP all over again, so I thought I build a fancy new station. A cube.

It took some time trying to get a design that worked with the new SAS but it all clicked to together and just needs filling up with fuel.

Hopefully my picture shows

rxc8.png

Thank you! :)

Now I'm one step closer to the actual landing. I've landed a rover that will search for a scientifically interesting (read: pretty) location for the base that will house the Kerbals while they wait for the return window. I've also landed a robotic test lander just to make sure the actual lander can return to orbit and dock with the mothership. It worked better than expected! :)

Vhh7kI3.png?11KrDaG6.png?2OKy6iLS.jpg?1

I'm currently doing something I call the "Kethane Traveling Circus". Full details over in the Mission Reports topic. But in short, the idea is to make a quasi-self-sufficient expedition that does a vague approximation of a Grand Tour, going wherever my fancy at the time takes me, although it will need to wait on periodic deliveries of specialized equipment from Kerbin and, now that I've finally gotten my doc's OK to go back to work, also on my time to play KSP.

The KTC is a flotilla of varying size that is currently in the process of arriving piecemeal at Duna. So far, I've established a fuel supply for both the rockets and a Kethane-powered, Duna-only airplane, which ain't itself got there yet. After I've despoiled Duna, I'll head out to whichever of Eeloo, Jool, or Dres is handiest, or maybe just drop down to Eve. Who knows?

A few pics:

unkpbU0.jpg

The KethLab Mothership escaping Kerbin

ZGdRSKs.jpg

The Ike Package (MapSat/Kethane Scanner probe, Kethane drilling rig, and interplanetary tug) aerobraking prior to heading out to Ike to set up the refueling base.

ykYrhfP.jpg

Airbase Duna on the ground and sucking up Kethane in preparation for the arrival of the DORK aircraft.

Quite a nice base actually!

Try this if your interested, then post pictures here! -

Make a ramp, say 2x2meters panels ( 4 by 6 ) and put varius docking port on it, test your rover and it's height on kerbin ( don't forget to angel 2x2m 3 in front of it to actually make rovers can get up on it, ) I'm gonna give you a tip: your gonna experience alot of unbalance issues with sky-crane. but once I did this and landed it near my base ~500m , I smiled and was very proud of it! because it's hard, completely worth it!

OPTIONAL!: attach some tanks for it, so transfer rovers can transfer fuel from this ramp to another craft, or to dock landers with it and refuel, then head over for other stuff!

happy launching! you've got an awesome base there!

Presenting the KSS Titanic

1Mk39kf.png

878 parts, 417 tons, 20k units of liquid fuel, 18 kerbals, 2 heavy landers (7 kerbals each with a 7-kerbal rover included), 4 unmanned mini landers, 4 unmanned rovers, 2 long range satellites, and a utility tug.

I'll never do that again. Lag is so bad it took 45 minutes to complete an 8-minute burn to Duna, and it wiggled so much I had to spend the entire time making small steering corrections (and used up most of my RCS fuel). When I finished the initial burn I ended up undocking everything that can make orbit independently and turned the mothership into a fleet.

But so far zero icebergs hit, so it's a huge success.

Not as Big as the KSS Titanic (yet) but it's also not finished yet.

The Hitchhiker I

4x4 Large Hybrid Ion Engines and 4x1 Medium Hybrid Ion Engines are going to push her to Jool and hopefully back again!

Initial Engine Tests revealed a steady thrust, no wobbles but even with all solar pannels deployed and in full sunlight the Energy drain is immense!

0TVGky2.jpg

I definitely have to add more Pannels or Reactors...

I'm presently in the design stage of a my most ambitious project yet, which is a large scale construction project in the Jool system. It will likely take several weeks but I promise to post it here once it's underway/done...

I'm also still searching for Russel's teapot. In the meantime here's a pic of my Munbase's new comm tower

wIKvpYN.jpg

I had previously done a manned Duna mission. I landed successfully, and I knew I had enough fuel to get back, but the whole design was so much for my little laptop to run, that I gave up. Now, I'm forming a new mission, one that this time will get back home.

You know whackjob, you are by far the most unique player on the forums here. As soon as I saw the screenshot, I thought "Holy crap, whackjobs at it again." And sure enough, I look over to see who posted, yup, whackjob. I like to think that your launches are the epitome of "I think I can, I think I can"

Hehe Eskimo. Glad I do not disappoint.

I think the route I take when designing something is along the lines of Doctor Evil given a Kerbal Engineering degree. "We shall go to the Mun. And we will do it using an overly elaborate and exotic machine."

Ohhh Nice! you're really making your way up! go for laythe next time!

That would be quite a challenge indeed! But I'll definitely look into it sometime. :)

Anyway, I've gotten even closer now! The surface habitat landed successfully, pretty much right next to Surveyor (the rover), but the power station landed 2.5 km away and broke its wheels in the process. As it was then unable to move I considered launching another one, but I then realized that I could use Surveyor to push it to the base. It was a slow, tedious process - especially when going uphill - but finally it could attach itself to the habitat and start producing power. Following this incident, Surveyor was renamed Stallion in recognition of its hard work.

3N6IJ4f.jpg?1xWuNDrk.png?1cUDS8uB.jpg?1

The next thing to touch Dunan soil will be living, breathing Kerbals.

I decided with the addition of the ability to build in space (as in a shipyard not by docking parts) to go big, build a colossal monstrosity that will tour the cosmos. Its a bit ugly at the moment but it is a prototype, once I get a model that I like I will try to pretty it up a bit (assuming part count doesn't get too high) and customize them slightly if I build more than one.

Designation: Persephone Class: Helios Version: Prototype MK II Crew: 42 Trust: 5550 kN

ScreenShot139_zps8c890fcf.jpg

Currently in stand bye mode in Kerbin orbit. Going to design two small probes to dock with it before it starts its tour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.