White Monkey Kitchenware and SpaceParts Factory - ver 0.4 - HOPE SHUTTLE

sarkun

Sakurn, i\'m trying to attach the satellite to the radial decoupler inside the cargo bay but i can\'t do that. How did you do that?

Are you using the designated cargo decoupler?

http://youtu.be/cfLGyvzp83k

If not, than you may have trouble getting anything to attach properly - KSP seems to hate the idea of attaching a part in the middle of another part. Hence the rather complicated setup with the cargo decoupler - but as a bonus, the cargo decoupler removes drag of the parts that are attached to it, until it is activated.

One trick I\'ve learned with the VAB is that if you want to couple something that won\'t \'fit\', you can trick it by taking whatever you want to couple it to out and slapping it somewhere on your craft where it *does* fit. Attach the offending object, then attempt to replace two objects together where you want them to go. You can get some parts inside other parts like this, because the game doesn\'t think (or doesn\'t do a very good job) of detecting collisions on parts that are attached to the part you\'re moving. I really hope they *don\'t* fix this bug as it gets me around a lot of irritating limitations.

Anyway, +1 to more rocket parts, -1 to more spaceplane parts. Just personal preference, never really got into the whole C7 flying thing. Between C7, Hope, Down Under, CSSP, we have half a dozen orbiters / space-planes alone. I guess we have more rockets, but meh.

Soon :)

But sarkun did the hard work, so he deserves major kudos for making it work; the collider/attachment system is a complete beast, and that it works this well using the current system is pretty impressive.

Yeah, it is very well done. I wonder what would happen if you actually had a plane/plate to place things on in the cargo bay, would it make it easier to place parts? Basically make a custom plate that is the size of the bottom of the cargo bay and have it snap in. (would be a separate part) You might be able to more easily place parts in it. If you need to justify it realistically just call it a welding plate for decouplers to attach to without harming the shuttle structure itself. Just a thought as I am not exactly educated in this engine.

I like the cargo bay really good. You know that when you have MEEK attached and the doors are open that the doors are in the tanks.

May you can make a landing Gear for the shuttle.

Yeah I know about the doors - but there doesn\'t seem to be any easy solution. Just don\'t open them until you jettison the MEEK :P

As for the landing gear - it is planned.

since C7 has been adopted into the devteam, a landing gear part should appear with the next update (0.15). No point in pouring much effort into a part that will be obsolete within a month. I might do some simple extending skids, but final gear will probably happen only after 0.15.

Anyway, +1 to more rocket parts, -1 to more spaceplane parts. Just personal preference, never really got into the whole C7 flying thing. Between C7, Hope, Down Under, CSSP, we have half a dozen orbiters / space-planes alone. I guess we have more rockets, but meh.

Shuttles are cool. Rockets are cool too, the next thing I\'ll be doing is the Fuji Spacecraft - more traditional rocket department ;-)

Yeah, it is very well done. I wonder what would happen if you actually had a plane/plate to place things on in the cargo bay, would it make it easier to place parts? Basically make a custom plate that is the size of the bottom of the cargo bay and have it snap in. (would be a separate part) You might be able to more easily place parts in it. If you need to justify it realistically just call it a welding plate for decouplers to attach to without harming the shuttle structure itself. Just a thought as I am not exactly educated in this engine.

I\'m not exactly sure I understood you right, but isn\'t what you propose exactly what the current cargo decoupler does?

Anyway - I\'m open to all suggestions how to hack this part to make it better.

Another thing: I don\'t know what changed, but the new terrain seems... a lot harder on Hope when landing. On 0.13 I could land Hope in one piece no problem, right now I fragment almost all of the time. Did you guys notice it too, or is it that my landing skills just deteriorated?

I\'m not exactly sure I understood you right, but isn\'t what you propose exactly what the current cargo decoupler does?

Anyway - I\'m open to all suggestions how to hack this part to make it better.

Another thing: I don\'t know what changed, but the new terrain seems... a lot harder on Hope when landing. On 0.13 I could land Hope in one piece no problem, right now I fragment almost all of the time. Did you guys notice it too, or is it that my landing skills just deteriorated?

Yeah I have had sore luck in my landings. I actually prefer to overshoot the space center now and land on the water, at least I am in one piece then.

As for the plate thing, the cargo decoupler works for a specific part or set of parts (aka things that are designed to fit on it, or happy accidents that somehow fit.) IF you want a bit more adaptability, you might be able to place a plate, which would allow versatility. E.G. things could be mounted side by side, and things that aren\'t meant to be put in would not turn awkwardly when placed.

The part it self would be structural, like a tricoupler, it doesn\'t do anything but it allows things to attach to it. Since the collision box would be separate from the hull, you could simply make it flat. It would snap where the current mount is for the decoupler, but be very thin to not reduce the cargo space. Things could use the native mounting method where they simply place where they can, and if it is flat, they wont rotate awkwardly. You might even be able to place a tank internally, and have the extended fuel loadout that way instead of a whole separate bay.

If you do not understand what I am trying to convey, I will be reinstalling Maya later today and I can try to make something, but I haven\'t worked with it much.

As a side note, you can actually stack cargobay/fuelbays together on one shuttle, at the moment I have one fuel bay behind one cargo bay so I can get pretty far AND launch a sat. I cannot wait to try and create a space station with a few launches of this thing, maybe with 2-3 cargo bays for large parts.

Hey Sarkun, I\'ve been trying all sorts of mods, many have crashed the game & had many bugs I found, I got fed up with a lot of mods, so I went back to vanilla. Then I saw your mod. I loved the look of it, it fits my style perfectly & it fits the Kerbal Space Program well. I love the Mun Lander, the rocket parts, but you had me at shuttle with a working cargo bay door.

I installed your mod 3 days ago & I\'ve been having a BLAST! Your mod is now the only mod I have & the only mod I need!

Awesome job! This is the best mod I\'ve seen yet! Even better than the Nova pack in my opinion!

Keep working on it, because you really have something special here! I\'ll be watching you from now on. AWESOME JOB!

10/10!!!

YOU RULE!!

I can\'t wait with what you come up with next!

(A space station with docking capability maybe? lol, keep up the good work!)

P.s. Here\'s a screen cap featuring some of my K.S.P. Missions funded by the [glow=blue,2,300]W.M.K.[/glow]

WhiteMonkeyKSPProgram.jpg

took many attempts to get the landers that close. Lander 1 (left) has been there for 3 days, and has almost full tank.

Lander 2 (right) is almost out of fuel because of the attempts to get within range. He was hopping about 75 meters at a time

he\'s there to stay. I also have 2 K.G.P.S satellites, polar & equator orbits at exactly 400,000k (Op & Ap)

And then there\'s the I.S.S. (Interkerbal Space Station) Holding at 1mil orbit, & she\'s a beauty! It took 7 tries to

hoist her out there, many kerbals died to bring us this wonderfull station. I hope docking comes soon so I can dock my Shuttle there.

Thank you Sarkun for your wonderfull creations!

Hey Sarkun, I edited the textur of the old Hope Tank and the Hope ASAS.

Now it´s a TourismBody and a TourismEntrance.

I´ve made some Textur and .cfg edit.

I\'d ask him before posting a download link in his thread.

Well yeah, I\'d appreciate some heads up warning next time, but no harm done really. Pretty nice job on the texture ;-) I\'m away on holidays this weekend, but after i return, I\'ll do an update on the pack. Will have some surprise too.

Hey Sarkun, I\'ve been trying all sorts of mods, many have crashed the game & had many bugs I found, I got fed up with a lot of mods, so I went back to vanilla. Then I saw your mod. I loved the look of it, it fits my style perfectly & it fits the Kerbal Space Program well. I love the Mun Lander, the rocket parts, but you had me at shuttle with a working cargo bay door.

I installed your mod 3 days ago & I\'ve been having a BLAST! Your mod is now the only mod I have & the only mod I need!

Awesome job! This is the best mod I\'ve seen yet! Even better than the Nova pack in my opinion!

Keep working on it, because you really have something special here! I\'ll be watching you from now on. AWESOME JOB!

10/10!!!

YOU RULE!!

I can\'t wait with what you come up with next!

(A space station with docking capability maybe? lol, keep up the good work!)

I\'m truly glad you like it :) Tanks for support!

i tried out the HOPE cargobay but i ran into 6 problems

1.cannot put stuff other than decoupler,wings etc...on it

2.can only fit single decoupler on it

3.sticky-outy bit on decoupler

4.when using it, the satellite exploded

5.restricted to only 1m parts, why not use 0.5m parts e.g.Probodobodyne parts

6.can only launch 1 satellite at a time...WHY!

Is it just me or has the HOPE shuttle gotten extremely unbalanced now that the body is empty after satellite deployment?

It\'s unstable at launch with SAS and RCS on :s

Hey guys, back from my holidays :)

As for the plate thing, the cargo decoupler works for a specific part or set of parts (aka things that are designed to fit on it, or happy accidents that somehow fit.) IF you want a bit more adaptability, you might be able to place a plate, which would allow versatility. E.G. things could be mounted side by side, and things that aren\'t meant to be put in would not turn awkwardly when placed.

The cargo decouplers collider is a perfectly flat plate. The \'awkward\' rotation is not a result of some weird collider - it\'s the result of KSP engine rotating parts in accordance to the center of the part. So as I said - what you propose is exactly what is already in place. That it doesn\'t work as good as it should is a separate matter.

Is it just me or has the HOPE shuttle gotten extremely unbalanced now that the body is empty after satellite deployment?

The center of mass could have shifted a bit, but not by much. I did not notice any dramatical effects.

i tried out the HOPE cargobay but i ran into 6 problems

1.cannot put stuff other than decoupler,wings etc...on it

2.can only fit single decoupler on it

3.sticky-outy bit on decoupler

4.when using it, the satellite exploded

5.restricted to only 1m parts, why not use 0.5m parts e.g.Probodobodyne parts

6.can only launch 1 satellite at a time...WHY!

1) So what\'s the problem?

2) See above.

3) What?

4) You must have placed it inside other colliders. Place it in the middle of the bay.

5) You can use any parts you want.

6) Again - attach as many satellites as you want.

It\'s unstable at launch with SAS and RCS on :s

Are you sure you constructed it properly? It seems to go straight up with ASAS & RCS turned on. I sometimes forget the cannards.

Are you sure you constructed it properly? It seems to go straight up with ASAS & RCS turned on. I sometimes forget the cannards.

I used the .craft, and what I mean is that when I do a turn to bring it into orbit, it tries to flip end over end.