How To Set Up A Moon Base?

Okay, I really want to set up this base on the mun ---> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/45076-Modular-Surface-Base-Your-home-away-from-home <--- (Great design by the way) but I don't know how to. I realize that i'd bring all parts separately, but how do I actually dock them once they are on the mun? Would I drive them to where I want to dock them? Can you dock while you are on land? Thanks in advance. :confused:

You can dock when your on land no problem, just make shure your docking ports are the right hight.

Its alot more frusterating then docking in orbit thought. Cus in orbit, the megnetic pull will alling you proporly when you try to dock if your not allready allinged, but on land, you have to have it spot on.

You can dock when your on land no problem, just make shure your docking ports are the right hight.

Its alot more frusterating then docking in orbit thought. Cus in orbit, the megnetic pull will alling you proporly when you try to dock if your not allready allinged, but on land, you have to have it spot on.

So just drive to where I want to dock?

Well first you need to land the parts you want to dock together, and then you need to somehow move them close enough to actually dock. There's a few ways to go about it:

You could put wheels on the bottom of your base segments, and then just drive them together. If your two modules are identical, you have the advantage of not having to worry too much about the height of your ports. However, if your base site is on any sort of slope or uneven ground, you might have problems with the modules rolling around on you or being propped up at odd angles. Because of this, it often takes quite a bit of finagling to line up perfectly and get the ports to actually dock.

My personal preference is to equip my base sections with fuel and rockets so that I can quickly fly them around to wherever they need to be. If you use MechJeb, you can set the Translatron to hover at a set altitude and easily navigate any terrain without fear of flipping or wheels breaking. Additionally, if you have RCS thrusters you can use them to jockey and wiggle the base segments together when it comes time to dock.

If you wanted to get really fancy and you don't mind some mods, you could use the Kerbal Attachment System to create some sort of construction vehicle that can pick base segments up and move them around, and put your base together that way.

Kerbal attachment system is my preferred way. Then again I never tried for a base like that one because I know how much of a pain it can be to put together. Instead I use KAS to connect all my modules. The trick there however is landing them all fairly close to eachother...

Most have covered it.

You either fly your parts together or drive them.

Flying them together is pretty straight forward, but like Vegesus said, you have to practice because it takes precision. Shouldnt be too hard in low gravity and right engine combination.

Driving them together can be achieved via different methods. You can either put wheels on your modules and dock them that way, have a "tug" move hem around. ie: transport drives under the module, docks with it, lift up the landing gear on the rover and then move it around or use the KAS to lift the modules and move them that way.

Whichever way you decide to go, definitely practice the assembly on Kerbin

• 3 weeks later...
Kerbal attachment system is my preferred way. Then again I never tried for a base like that one because I know how much of a pain it can be to put together. Instead I use KAS to connect all my modules. The trick there however is landing them all fairly close to eachother...

Problem is my modules keep tipping over if I connect the cable... :( Any idea how to solve this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.