Kerbin is Doomed!

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/orbitalcon-redux-2/

Are Orbital Colonies Allowed too ? (We still would need to get Kethane from the Ground)

A 'Colony' needs to have one Kerbal, be able to construct ships, and fuel them when need be. HMM..the wording did not say 'produce fuel and parts on the spot' did it? The wording DOES allow for a orbital 'Colony' as long as it can be supplied with parts and fuel. I don't think anybody has used a Launch Pad in space, have they? I would say the rules allows for Orbital Colonies - but I would say only one per Planet and Moon. Otherwise you would just have a bunch of 'Colonies' around Kerbin.

A Orbital 'Colony' would be worth 50 Points, just like the gravity locked ones, 5 Points Extra for every Kerbin after the First.

Good question. Now we have Spacers! Sorry, old sci-fi term.

Edit - Yes, I saw the orbital con mod link but wonder - don't you need access to KSC to work it? Just like I wonder can the Launchpad mod work without a planet to be on?

Edited by Valley
typos

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Finally Launch Day!

The assembly crew and the colony parts are on its way to Jool as first rumors of the comming ice age occur.

Bill and Jeb Kerman are on the "Tools" ship scaning for Kethane and Ore then land and drive around to look for a good spot to bring the Launchpad to. Bob is the commander of the Assembly Crew who will wait in Orbit.

Meanwhile Engineers at the KSC will continue work on the final evac ships... but no more than 3 Launches will follow bringing around 150 Kerbals tops out of the Mess. (Mostly wealthy Kerbals or Friends of those who Work on the Ships). Also they send lots of Old and Prototype construction plans to the Outbound Flights.

After that 3 Launches at day 182 Kerbin will be considerd forsaken.

Edited by Radiokopf

Theres one big problem with this challenge. Theres a huge bug with the Kethane mod(at least for me). You can't see anything and when you try to quit none of the buttons work, you have to manually quit the game.

Well, ive made it... 50pts + 18 Kerbals times 5pts equals 140 points. Im Roughly at Day 332 as you can see, the Crew was launched first just after opening that game. (last 2 pics)

I'm quite busy with it now, what i would like to have it the Pad in the middle and one Kethane and one Ore minging Operation to each side 2,5km away. With Storage at the pad. On the last sides are the Mountain and the village with the "Tower" in the middle. Also i like to get an Observatory up on the Mountain.

I will make a Tour trough the base when everything is there.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Radiokopf

This is mostly questions to know if I will try it.

1. Can I use any body that is not Kerbal (Mun and Minmus, mainly)?

I mean that the Mun is a great place for mining Kethane, as it basically got more than any other body, and Minmus is close and low gravity, so both are great for advanced posts early.

2. Can I use Orbital Construction redux as a mobile launch pad?

It makes the whole thing much easier, as you can basically have a massive spaceship making the bases while orbiting the body where the base needs to go, and only needs Kethane for parts.

3. Am I limited in the number of launches in the first 200 days?

Whether #2 is a yes or not, having a ton of spaceships in kerban orbit that have resources for the various future bases is a definite plus, and you can launch an insane amount of ships in a 100km orbit in 200 days.

Not being good at the whole thing, those question would definitely help shape how to approach the challenge, and I am quite sure others could benefit from knowing this too.

For once, it's a challenge that could be taken by new-ish players.

I allready asked 2# and this was the answer:

A Orbital 'Colony' would be worth 50 Points, just like the gravity locked ones, 5 Points Extra for every Kerbin after the First.

Good question. Now we have Spacers! Sorry, old sci-fi term.

but with the Mod you have to put them on the Launch pad and then "build" into space.. that would have just killed the felling for me. I really like not switching from Vall and see my craft build :)

As for 1# its stats "Planets or Moons" in the first post and does not limit the number of launches.

I would love to have another one aboard. :)

Curently biting my nails of trying to dock a fuel tank to a truck... i allready lost one and had to do another mining run to build the next one. I think i abandon my plans docking 2 of these to the truck and make refull runs to the kethane mining station (wich has to be deployed yet...) i will just use 2-3 tanks stationary at the pad.

Edited by Radiokopf

As you would think this is still Work in Progress but now i can build, reful and man almost every Mission so i take a break working on the base and do some missions or play other saves. As for now:

Overview:

HCaj5Mf.png?1

Kethane Mining:

53PaZGD.png

Ore Mining:

9UBtov1.jpg

The new Space Center:

nCrVFrF.png

The Village:

17tvbM3.png

Observer with some Moons:

lcgKq7k.png

Observer shot:

b8ypTW9.png

Edited by Radiokopf

Can you consider extending the deadline? it's not possible to get to another planet in under a year.

If I read the challenge right, you have one Kerbal year to get everything you need from Kerbal into space and on its way to the target planets - moons for colonization. That is going to take a lot of planning, launches, and keeping track of them all to make sure that they all conduct their intercept and landings at the right time. That could involve launching and controlling hundreds of missions during the first year, and continuing to track those missions, perhaps without the benefit of Mission Control, when the year ends, until they have all landed and establish their bases on the outer planets and their moons.

I think this was already answered but let me make sure it is clear. :D

1. Can I use any body that is not Kerbal (Mun and Minmus, mainly)?

Yes. You could even put a 'Colony' in orbit around Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus, as long as it could build and launch ships on its own (without helping from Kerbin). It would need to be supplied fuel and material from other colonies, but as long as it was independent from Kerbin Space Command by Day 200 and still produce spacecraft it would be valid.

2. Can I use Orbital Construction redux as a mobile launch pad?

As long as KSC is not being used after Day 200 you can use any mod that does not make you GOD. And, if the Orbital Construction mod could get material from other sources after Day 200, it could be a colony as long as it had a living area for the one Kerbal needed to define it as a 'Colony'. See answer 1.

3. Am I limited in the number of launches in the first 200 days?

No limit. Only limit is how much your computer can handle. But at Day 200 Kerbin is a dead planet.

Have fun!

Note - Once again I am not sure if orbital colonies are even possible - somebody will have to test that. :D

Edited by Valley
Typos.

That could involve launching and controlling hundreds of missions during the first year, and continuing to track those missions, perhaps without the benefit of Mission Control, when the year ends, until they have all landed and establish their bases on the outer planets and their moons.

If you go minimal you could have 2 launches for every planet... maybe even only one if its not Jool. Also you could make bases from bases, like going from Minimus to the Moon. If you want to get the Maximal points its quite a lot to handle but you dont have to go for EVERY planet/moon.

Well, i recounted thats 23 in the Tower + 2 who were on the rover thing. So one for the colony and 24 addional. (and 83 in kerbin orbit wating for me to get bored and transfer them...)

Those 83 count.

So one colony = 50

107 extras = 535

585 total.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I see that this challenge is probably dead by now but I would like to show you what I have gotten done so far:

Scouting rover: Done

Detector probes: Haven't started

Habitation modules: WIP

Processing facility: Haven't started

Laythe-Based submarine miner: Near impossible to do

Rockets for transfer between different bodies: Haven't started

Ore miner with an airship based version for Laythe: Done

Kethane miner with Laythe version: Haven't started

s1PEJ0i.jpg

The skycrane rover that is going to go to other worlds and check the area for a suitable place to set up the colonies. It isn't 100% complete as I want it to deploy the rover smoothly with KAS.

qcomRVy.jpg

A view of the rover fully deployed.

hTcF3rG.jpg

The Laythe-based ore miner, the normal version is exactly the same but without the airship envelope, the ASAS, the b9 air intake and air thrust nozzles.

I might be absent for some time but I will certainly be back with more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Made a base on the mun, sent a launchpad and a kethane mining rover.

akzuhv.jpg

To-do list for the base on mun

1. Make a launchpad (Done)

2. Make a kethane mining rover (Done)

3. Make a ore mining rover (WIP)

4. Transport a melter to the base (Not even started)

5. Make a vessel to transfer resources such as ore to the melter, and metal back from the melter to the rocket maker thing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.