Do You Restart Your Saves?

The Jedi Master

We've all had the feeling: Twelve kerbals stuck around various places, the rockets keep crashing even though we're supposed to be good at building, the KIA list grows longer and longer. In times like these, it is tempting to start fresh, with a new save. But we think of the old one, the stations and bases, the kerbals with cool names, and we reach a dilemma.

So,the question is: Do you restart your saves?

I used to restart my saves whenever an update was coming close, but after 0.20, I vowed to keep a save going. Well, 0.21 broke saves. So far, I've kept my 0.21 save intact, but a lot of frustration is making me consider starting fresh. The biggest project I have right now is a three module space station, and I've got docking down pat now, so that isn't a huge concern. But if I restart, Kurt Kerman (yes, random generated) will be sorely missed.

Edited by The Jedi Master
repeating myself in the last sentece

I keep one save I call "Campaign"; had one in 0.20 and have a new one in 0.21. I'll start other saves for trying out mods or whatever, but that "Campaign" save has permadeath enabled and is safe from frustration deletion.

I keep one save I call "Campaign"; had one in 0.20 and have a new one in 0.21. I'll start other saves for trying out mods or whatever, but that "Campaign" save has permadeath enabled and is safe from frustration deletion.

That's an idea--I could keep the old save and just leave it alone until I'm ready to go back to it.

Yep, doing reset every update (besides small bugfixing patches). I just prefer to left "serious way" of playing for final release of KSP. Also I don't see a reason to make uber-complex multi-mission space program in sandbox when career mode is the place where true fun will begin for me :).

Edited by jcraft

I don't really restart mine... I name my main save as something to do with kerbals and space.

Then I have a few alternate saves.. I have my testing ground, this one is for oddly enough testing mods and whatnot. And then I have Jebs Funhouse which is where I just build... odd things.

I start at least one new save for each new revision. Often I'll have around 3 to 6 of them active on the last minor revision before the next major one (ie. in 0.18.4 I had 6 different save files and didn't transfer any over to 0.19).

I have two saves... one for crazy ships and one for mission profiles... The crazy is not worth restarting as I kill Kerbals by the truck load... the missions profiles one I am very careful with and do a lot of rescues on. The only temptation I feel to restart at this point is the wind the overall clock/date. Having to run up the clock to get scans from the Kethane sats has added years to the overall mission times.

Alacrity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.