Gravity

SCENARIO NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

Edit: A ship (Minmus) has been stranded with now lights, electricity or fuel!! The ship holds 3 Kerbals Bill, Bob, and Jebediah, you must assemble and launch a ship to intercept the ship before it impacts Kerbin! Good Luck!

"original mission" Send a mission to the second moon, Minmus. No need for landing, we will take this ship and burn retrograde causing your orbit to hit Kerbin, at this point eject all fuel aboard, except Monopropellent. NEXT, you must launch a second ship and intercept the falling ships crashing orbit to Kerbin and save all Kerbals aboard!

Download the Mission HERE: http://www./?l1ceehrom33vx81

Scoring:

100 pts for every Kerbonaut that makes it home, max 300 points

35 pts for docking with the doomed ship

20 pts for forget- *cough* that is, intentionally not using a parachute to land on Kerbin

50 pts for using only stock parts

65 pts for having the doomed craft land on Kerbin safely, instead of being vaporized

470 pts possible, which means a perfect rescue mission.

Scoreboard:

zarakon-470 (Perfect Score!)

RickRastardly-385

~~~This~could~be~you!~~~

~~~This~could~be~you!~~~

~~~This~could~be~you!~~~

Edited by korntipton

well This is a worst Case scenario kind of deal. You have no engines, wings or chutes(I recently landed safely with a glider from 150,000 meters in space). Just a Docking port or some eva to make the escape.

Basically these kerbals on are a course to death and the only way to save them is via a 2nd ship.

Might I recommend that, rather than simply tell people what to do to set up this challenge (since it is rather detailed) you create a scenario file for it?

For instance, put three Kerbals on a derelict craft headed for Kerbin, and ask people to mount a rescue mission. That gives a more well-defined goal, and would probably get more people interested in a challenge such as this.

Might I recommend that, rather than simply tell people what to do to set up this challenge (since it is rather detailed) you create a scenario file for it?

For instance, put three Kerbals on a derelict craft headed for Kerbin, and ask people to mount a rescue mission. That gives a more well-defined goal, and would probably get more people interested in a challenge such as this.

This.

I would certainly be interested if such a scenario was created (although I might not have the time to try)

Thats a great Idea! i will certainly get one going for all to use as a startup, but everyone should create their own rescue ship!

Thanks @Stochasty

It would be fun to have no power and no RCS on the stranded ship, so that it can't turn at all, and give bonus points for docking instead of just using EVA

Or block the doors so that EVA is impossible (to simulate an airlock malfunction).

For that to work they'd need to change the way docks work right now, so that your crew could actually use them. :D

he means that since you can't transfer crew via EVA, you have to recover both crafts together (for which you would get 65 points, according to the challenge rules).

-----

by the way, bonus points for docking is also already in the rules.

waiting for the scenario file!

That was fun :)

No dead Kerbals = 300

Docking = 35

stock = 50

total 385 points

My tactic, rather than just to intercept it like you would any other vehicle in orbit was to just get a really high AP (way above moon orbit) and just hover there waiting for the stranded vehicle to come into range and match speed.

Tried to make a sort of lander craft as you can see but didn't have enough fuel left to slow down when the parachutes opened so the whole thing ripped apart, thankfuly I thought of this already and moved Jeb etc to the rescue vehicle. but other than that it was successful :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I decided to try and help the OP, if needed, so I revised the OP for us forumers ease of use.

Challenge: Send a 3-man rocket up to Minmus-high orbit, but then burn retrograde before entering Minmus's SOI, thus turning the craft's orbit into a vertical dive bomb.

Then dump all non RCS fuel.

Now, to avoid a national disaster, send up another craft to save the doomed Kerbonauts from becoming a pancake.

Scoring:

20 pts for forget- *cough* that is, intentionally not using a parachute to land on Kerbin

65 pts for having the doomed craft land on Kerbin safely, instead of being vaporized

Scoreboard:

1. zarakon-470 (Perfect Score!)
  2. RickRastardly-385
  3. ~~~This~could~be~you!~~~
  4. ~~~This~could~be~you!~~~
  5. ~~~This~could~be~you!~~~

Hope the OP sees and uses this revision! Just trying to help!

The Quiet Samurai

I decided to try and help the OP, if needed, so I revised the OP for us forumers ease of use.

Challenge: Send a 3-man rocket up to Minmus-high orbit, but then burn retrograde before entering Minmus's SOI, thus turning the craft's orbit into a vertical dive bomb.

Then dump all non RCS fuel.

Now, to avoid a national disaster, send up another craft to save the doomed Kerbonauts from becoming a pancake.

Scoring:

Scoreboard:

1. zarakon-470 (Perfect Score!)
  2. RickRastardly-385
  3. ~~~This~could~be~you!~~~
  4. ~~~This~could~be~you!~~~
  5. ~~~This~could~be~you!~~~

Hope the OP sees and uses this revision! Just trying to help!

The Quiet Samurai

Hey Samurai! I used your scoring and Leaderboard notes, I've included the scenario for forumers (lol ;) to download so they dont have to wast time creating the original dive bomb mission!

You guys are awesome, Im embarrassed you guys have already completed the mission and I haven't posted my results(explosions, failed orbits, Kraken attacks).. I had such a kerbal day of problems this weekend building the ship to complete the mission! But Im hoping to post my max score sometime tonight or tomorow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.