[0.21.1] StretchyTanks v0.2.2 (updated 8-26-13)

AncientGammoner

Great mod, this should be in stock KSP!

I have a question though:

When I click on any of your tanks in the part list, my KSP crashes without any error, it just vanishes.

It could have to do with me having modulartanks installed, I heard there was a compatibility option for this but I don't know how to install that.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

Even without any mods, except this one of course it crashes as soon as I select a tank.

Edited by wybe21

So, I have two and a half requests, if I might:

1. Procedural SRBs. Should be nearly the same code, just need to add a second key so we can select thrust level (which will also determine burntime, assuming standard Isp) and write to a moduleengine.

2. Superstretchy tank that can stretch in/out at both ends independently. Fueled adapters and rocket noses! The half-request: have nodesize scale with floor(radius/1.25), both for aesthetics and (much more importantly!) FAR support.

When I click on any of your tanks in the part list, my KSP crashes without any error, it just vanishes.

It could have to do with me having modulartanks installed, I heard there was a compatibility option for this but I don't know how to install that.

Are you using Linux? Because I noticed that happened with this mod on Linux, I have no idea why because it doesn't do that on Windows.

So, I have two and a half requests, if I might:

1. Procedural SRBs. Should be nearly the same code, just need to add a second key so we can select thrust level (which will also determine burntime, assuming standard Isp) and write to a moduleengine.

2. Superstretchy tank that can stretch in/out at both ends independently. Fueled adapters and rocket noses! The half-request: have nodesize scale with floor(radius/1.25), both for aesthetics and (much more importantly!) FAR support.

Unfortunately its not really that simple for either of those, since the mod relies on scaling the model in x, y, z directions you can't really use it to change the actual shape like for changing the ends independently. A procedural SRB using this method would stretch the engine along with tanks and it would look really weird. I believe I saw a post before about someone working on procedural SRBs or something similar though.

a lot of times when loading ship from space center cause the ship to become super unstable and then explode

otherwise when this doesnt happen, this mod is good.

If the ship is really big make sure you're using high strength struts to make everything rigid, the game doesn't like large/long vehicles by nature, tends to break all the node/radial connections and rip them apart.

Fair enough. pWings, for the procedural adapter (that does this) uses bones rather than straight single-axis scaling. Sorry, forgot that's how you were doing it.

Re: the SRBs, I'd be fine with the engine part just not showing on the outside--call it a fairing, like how the bottom of many RL rockets hide their nozzles inside a fairing. Just show the nozzle on the bottom-of-the-cylinder texture. Heck, your stock texture endcap already looks kinda like a nozzle.

just wanted to say thanks for this mod, i had too many parts so my game was flaky - i removed all mod fuel tanks and implemented these instead, oh so much better! For srbs would it not be simlpler to make stretchy tanks hold solid fuel and then have someone else make some engine cones to stick on them (or you, just thought this way you are being asked for something less time consuming)... For some reason I have it in my head that solid fuel will still "flow" if you have them stacked but that could have been plugin related.

Thanks again for your work!

These tanks are fantastic, they've cut down hugely on my part counts, and make designing rockets so much simpler, thanks so much! I was wondering, though, if a couple of tanks the size of the mark 2 and 3 fuselages would be possible to be made? Not sure how complex that would be, or whatnot.

Re: the SRBs, I'd be fine with the engine part just not showing on the outside--call it a fairing, like how the bottom of many RL rockets hide their nozzles inside a fairing. Just show the nozzle on the bottom-of-the-cylinder texture. Heck, your stock texture endcap already looks kinda like a nozzle.

For srbs would it not be simlpler to make stretchy tanks hold solid fuel and then have someone else make some engine cones to stick on them (or you, just thought this way you are being asked for something less time consuming)... For some reason I have it in my head that solid fuel will still "flow" if you have them stacked but that could have been plugin related.

Thanks again for your work!

So I was thinking today about the possibility of procedural SRBs, I started making an engine based on the old X-15s engine a while back but it looked nothing like it and I wasn't up for doing the whole plane so I moved on (I do that a lot). Well I got to thinking how nice that would look called onto the bottom node of a fuel tank labelled "solid fuel". It's low poly, very simple with UV but no textures at the mo but with a little work...

fhjH7mg.jpg

I have been waiting for somebody to make this for so long. I hate being stuck to a stupid set of lego blocks for no good reason. Thanks to this mod, I'm never using the standard fuel tanks again!

But that being said, the liquid fuel and oxidizer modes on the tanks seem to be bugged.

For example the KI-1000 tank in its default configuration contains 126 units of liquid fuel and 154 units of oxidizer. But when you take the liquid fuel out, to make more room for the oxidizer (or vice versa) now it only holds 131.25 units of oxidizer. Which is actually less oxidizer than before (-22,74 units).

I have been waiting for somebody to make this for so long. I hate being stuck to a stupid set of lego blocks for no good reason. Thanks to this mod, I'm never using the standard fuel tanks again!

But that being said, the liquid fuel and oxidizer modes on the tanks seem to be bugged.

For example the KI-1000 tank in its default configuration contains 126 units of liquid fuel and 154 units of oxidizer. But when you take the liquid fuel out, to make more room for the oxidizer (or vice versa) now it only holds 131.25 units of oxidizer. Which is actually less oxidizer than before (-22,74 units).

This is intentional, you'll also notice the dry mass of the tank is lighter. I chose the wet to dry mass ratio and the overall density of each tank type based on the stock versions. Choosing a ratio for liquidfuel/oxidizer was easy because the ratio is nearly always 9:1 (except for the really tiny tanks), but choosing a ratio for things like pure liquidfuel was difficulty because you have a really dense jet fuel tank that has a high dry mass and also really light fuselages that have super low density. I tried to balance it as well as I could while not any parameter worse than stock, so I made pure liquidfuel have the 5:1 ratio of fuselages but denser than them closer to the dense cylindrical tank. For oxidizer I had no references, but clearly from the pure liquidfuel tanks it's more inefficient to store a propellant separately I chose a ratio of 6:1 for oxidizer. Its tanks also have a density greater than pure liquidfuel but less than liquidfuel/oxidizer combined.

It's not a bug, the mod works fine with standard modular fuel tanks. RealFuels however is another story, because apparently there are multiple unofficial config files floating around that change various aspects of it. Clearly doing unofficial modding is going to affect other things including this mod and I can only base my support on the official release for obvious reasons.

Not true. The problem is you don't let MFT do its thing, which is overriding tank basemass and mass_per_fuel, which is what MFT is for: allowing different fuel types of different densities (and therefore different tank-structural requirements, i.e. mass-per-volume).

And RealFuels _is_ official, in the MFT archive and by its author.

It's not a bug, the mod works fine with standard modular fuel tanks. RealFuels however is another story, because apparently there are multiple unofficial config files floating around that change various aspects of it. Clearly doing unofficial modding is going to affect other things including this mod and I can only base my support on the official release for obvious reasons.

Wrong.

if you really supported the official release then MF basemass would be complied with rather than being overridden.

your understanding of the MF mod and its contributors is flawed and based on incomplete knowledge.

Wrong.

if you really supported the official release then MF basemass would be complied with rather than being overridden.

your understanding of the MF mod and its contributors is flawed and based on incomplete knowledge.

I like that you got so incensed that your favourite mod didn't work with your other favourite mod that you made a patch to make them work together but is it AncientGammoner's responsibility to ensure that his mod works with other peoples at all? As with you, AncientGammoner probably only supports the mods in his their own GameData folder...

I like that you got so incensed that your favourite mod didn't work with your other favourite mod that you made a patch to make them work together but is it AncientGammoner's responsibility to ensure that his mod works with other peoples at all? As with you, AncientGammoner probably only supports the mods in his their own GameData folder...

Sigh. You're missing the point. He did write in support for it. But it doesn't do it properly. It's ridiculously simple to fix. (Like 5 lines simple) incensed? No. Closer to exasperated. I would rather not have done any coding at all and originally intended not to be involved further. But whatever. What's done is done.

Not true. The problem is you don't let MFT do its thing, which is overriding tank basemass and mass_per_fuel, which is what MFT is for: allowing different fuel types of different densities (and therefore different tank-structural requirements, i.e. mass-per-volume).

And RealFuels _is_ official, in the MFT archive and by its author.

I never said RealFuels wasn't official, I said the modified configs for it aren't official.

That said, bug was harsh, my apologies. It's doing exactly what you want it to.

Call it failure to interoperate properly with MFT, since you're both modifying the same values.

MFT is poorly written tbh. Nowhere does it store the multiplier its using to calculate basemass, nor does it give any indication to even know when it's using RealFuels instead of normal. Starwaster's "fix" is to store that information in my plugin... which I'm not exactly enthused about.

Wrong.

First of all, it has to be overwritten since MF does not update basemass after the initial load, so it would have no way of knowing if the tank was stretched.

I'm sorry but are you the author of MFT? Are the cfg files in your sig official releases?

I agree, it's not really my obligation to make sure every mod is compatible with mine.

Sigh. You're missing the point. He did write in support for it. But it doesn't do it properly. It's ridiculously simple to fix. (Like 5 lines simple) incensed? No. Closer to exasperated. I would rather not have done any coding at all and originally intended not to be involved further. But whatever. What's done is done.

Not sure why you're so incensed, you made your "fix". I'm perplexed at why are you still spamming this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.