Astronaut (Kerbalnaut) Bill!

NASI Director

Nice, gave me a chuckle. :)

manskal, objects in vacuum don't fall at a velocity. They fall at a steady acceleration, and be it Moon or any other body, it's pretty much fatal. Even with 1/6 G, the difference is small. The speed picks up quickly enough to turn the approaching ground into a splatter zone. Your mass stays the same. You can see how that creates problems in Apollo ground EVAs, when they try to run or fall on the ground. They were sweating like pigs inside those suits.

manskal' date=' objects in vacuum don't fall at a [i']velocity. They fall at a steady acceleration, and be it Moon or any other body, it's pretty much fatal. Even with 1/6 G, the difference is small. The speed picks up quickly enough to turn the approaching ground into a splatter zone. Your mass stays the same. You can see how that creates problems in Apollo ground EVAs, when they try to run or fall on the ground. They were sweating like pigs inside those suits.

Oh, ok. But I'm sure they didn't hang floating in mid-jump like that.

Learn something new every day.

Oh, ok. But I'm sure they didn't hang floating in mid-jump like that.

Learn something new every day.

Impression of cartoonish mid-air floating is impossible on the Moon. Actual manoeuvring while walking and falling is quite difficult in low gravity environments, but it's so easy to splat your face on the ground.

He bounced only because he's a strong guy. If it weren't for his strong muscles in legs and arms (and I don't mean bloated muscles like douchebags wear today; Apollo astronauts were just fit and normal looking), he wouldn't bounce at all.

Or maybe he bounced because his helmets are Kerbal-grade. If you've ever watched Danny's vids, you'll see how tough and physics defying they are (hitting the ground at terminal velocity:totally survivable).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.