[reflection] Using KSP as a base for an "X" game?

slay_mithos

Hello everyone,

Seeing how the game is, and how mods can add a lot, not just parts, but gameplay slices too, it got me thinking.

Is it thinkable that mods make the game evolve into some kind of successor of the X franchise? Making multiple solar systems, an economy and an AI (for both neutral and enemies), and making the whole thing playable seems like quite a big task, and you might need a really powerful computer to run such thing.

But doesn't that sound like something that could be done after years of mods combined together?

For those that don't know X, it's a space game where you control a ship and explore the universe, with trading, fighting, setting stations or making fleets as part of the gameplay.

(Sorry, doesn't have anything to do with adult rating)

I think you mean "4X" game: explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate? or if it's a single game, "X" sounds like one of those games anyway. I think the biggest problem is the "hard scifi" nature of KSP. Every 4X space game I've played takes a space opera approach (doesn't mean one doesn't exist that is more in line with our current space tech and focuses primarily on the space aspect), with vast swaths of technology across the tech trees. KSP is just now talking about a tech tree coming, so I don't know how much work any mods could do to make it into such a game, if it's even possible.

**edit** hooray I can post w/ out mod approval on my 4th post :0.0:

I dont see the point why try to make something completely different out of this game?

Also it wont work since there isnt even Multiplayer yet not to mention that it cant work since it is rather obvious that it already has problems with bigger ships from one player - just imagine what would happen if there were way more.

So there is. Seems kinda like a hopped up Space Trader-ish sort of thing.

It would still take a large, large amount of mods to make this happen and I don't even think it's feasible with the current platform anyway.

I don't know if I'd like an X game with full-on orbital mechanics and things. It would be interesting, but....I just don't know. It'd be too complicated, I think. That type of game flourishes on the fact that planets and stations are all completely immobile and the only things moving about the universe are the player and AI controlled ships...and they all move freely. Having everything tied to orbits and things would make it a lot less fun to play that type of game, I feel.

Would be interesting as a mod, though. Maybe after KSP 1.0 releases, we'll see some big overhaul mods adding functionality like that and then we'll really see how fun or not it can be :o

X and genuine orbital mechanics would go together like Jeb and less boosters. As many KSP mod users have noticed, realistic space combat is actually pretty dull. Though it would be nice if at least you saw some of the effects of orbiting a planet in the X series (as opposed to how it works now, where everything in space is impossibly fixed in place and it's basically just a series of interlinked gigantic rooms with no gravity at all), I think actually implementing the mechanics of orbiting would kill a lot of the fun of that series.

Yeah, we can't have a fully representative version, but the multiple NPC stations and ships, the vast universe, the star gates, an economy...

You could think that it would only take place in other stellar systems, and that you need to first scan the void for alien frequencies in order to find out clues about how to build and connect gates to the existing system. Then you would build such gate where you see fit, and be able to access places where you are not alone in space, basically.

To me, X wasn't so much about the fighting, so even if that was not implemented, just being able to have more life out there to interact with would be fun.

We will have to wait for what they have in store for us for the research and missions, because if they make it right (and they should, seeing the rest), it would be a good base, seeing that we already have prices for everything, mining mods and stations for the rest.

The only part that could be hard to realize in the current engine (based on what I know, which is little) is to make the world "alive" not just right where you are.

I had a pretty good idea I think. MP and SP, use KSP physics, with freelancer like ships. Have it so you could have infantry and tanks and what not too. So you had to attack facilities dotted across a planet, but your craft had limited fuel and ammo, which would need to be shifted from another base to the front.

Interesting but probably too complicated in the end. Plus the NPC traders are dumber than rocks in the X games - I can't imagine the level of 'fun' that would ensue if you forced them to use proper orbital mechanics too.

You might want to take a look at Elite: Dangerous at some point though - it might be close to what you have in mind. Definitely futuretech ships, so orbital mechanics become kinda irrelevant since you have effectively infinite delta v. I *think* it's still going to be based on Newtonian mechanics though, so flight should be a wee bit more realistic than the X games. Plus all the solar systems, space stations and stuff will be properly scaled, so should feel suitably epic.

Edit - it's the sequel to Elite II - Frontier and Elite: First Encounters, if that rings any bells with anyone!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.