Neil, Collins, and Buzz basically used MechJeb! Stop saying MJ is cheating

EiEiO

I think we can safely say that any landing on a foreign celestial body where failure does not mean either:

• Instant death
  • Prolonged death because you're marooned and will run out of air to breath eventually

is a form of cheating. We all cheat. To what extend, does it matter?

lol.

Astronauts did not fly the spacecraft, it was all programmed in the computer at mission control.

So if you programmed mechjeb yourself you have permission to use it.

analogy is false.

(i don't mind people using mechjeb, just irritates me when people use the wrong information)

I used it in the past, but recently I have gotten tired of it. It just makes the game too easy and sterile. But I have nothing against other people who currently use it and yes. We pretty much have it in real life too.

I know I don't read every thread on the forums, but I don't think I've ever seen people actually complaining about how someone plays the game. I've seen discussions about the topic and people seem to love pointing out the fact that someone will tell you how to play or how you're playing is wrong...but I've never actually seen it for myself. Seems a bit odd to me, really.

Just ignore anyone who says you're playing the game wrong, is that so hard to do? I mean, you're the one that ought to know what brings you joy and what doesn't...not someone else. They can only know what'll bring them joy so it's quite silly getting bent out of shape about the things people say.

Just relax and do whatever. Enjoy yourself, man.

Alright, we already know where this thread will end up without even going there.

Sure, NASA does indeed use automatic guidance for a lot of tasks. Craft like the Saturn V had fully automated ascent sequences in order to more accurately control the process and respond faster to situations. The space shuttle was mostly automated as well.

But both vessels had their crews highly trained to fly the ship in the event anything went wrong beyond what the automation could tolerate. They still had to knwo how to fly, and at all times they manually cross-checked everything the automation did to make sure it was working correctly.

However, historical accuracy aside, KSP is meant to be played however you see fit. And just like in real life, automation is all well and good until it messes up, or your ship messes up in a way the computer can't handle. Then you'd better know how to fly or the mission will not be completed.

KSP is a single player game. The only standards for cheating that it maintains would be using the builtin debug menu for such fun as infinite fuel- and even then some people who just want to build things and don't care for the flight aspect might have more fun flying in infinite fuel mode all the time stationbuilding.

Any argument beyond that over the legitimacy of game mods is purely a matter of personal preference. Squad provided a modding API for people to use, they intended for KSP to make use of game mods as the player sees fit. Berating someone else for their opinions is unacceptable behavior, and only contributes to hard feelings in the community.

Ultimately the problem is not Mechjeb. It is the human factor- people disagreeing and choosing to disrespect other people about their opinions.

But since the time is not yet right for these discussions as people insist on getting heated, I'll be closing this thread now rather than waiting for it to go down that road and continue the cycle.