New Horizons (Tweaks and additions to existing mods)

Paul Kingtiger

I've been playing around with existing mods, using Module Manager (with the wildcard extension). Nothing large enough to deserve it's own thread but I wanted somewhere to collect feedback and keep people updated so here they are.

New Horizons Spaceware Mods

ECLSS Rebalancer

This mod modifies the ECLSS parts to make them smaller, and adjusts the capacity to match more realistic levels. Uses Module Manager.

Capacity research information avalalble here

Engineer Redux: All Pods

This mod adds the Engineer readout to all command pods without the need to add the Engineer parts.

If you love Kerbal Engineer but like to keep your craft clean, or just reduce part count then this is for you.

Uses Module Manager 1.5 to add the Engineer module to every pod (stock and mods)

Procedural Fairings: Base Decouplers

Adds a stack decoupler to the Procedural fairing bases. You can now decouple your payloads without having to add a separate part.

This also helps Kerbal Engineer to work correctly with the procedural fairing parts.

Surface Mountable Engines

Makes all engines surface mountable, allowing you to build engine clusters with the minimum part count.

Acknowledgements

Ialdabaoth and Sarbian for their Module Manager plug in, without which none of the above would be possible.

Cybutek for his Kerbal Engineer Redux mod, my No.1 essential mod. I simply can't play the game without it.

Finally E-dog's Procedural Fairings mod for making rockets look amazing.

Licence Information

All New Horizons mods are released under various licences, please check the mod on Curse or the licence document packaged with the mod.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Sadly this broke FAR and some other MM using mods. In particular I noticed it because FAR control surface allocation is dead in the SPH. If I remove your mod and put the 13KB modulemanager.dll back the other stuff works again. The wildcard extensions do not appear to be present in the newer 13KB MM version as the log contains load errors and your mod doesn't work when it is active.

A pity because surface mount engines would be nice but I need FAR more.

I can't comment on FAR control surfaces as I didn't even go into the SPH, but the engine surface attach mod definitely conflicts with KWRocketry+ and ModularFuels. As soon as I installed surface attach mod I got some weird part problems. I believe all the KWRocketry+ parts modified by ModuleManager were affected (and only those parts). ModularFuels stopped working entirely - forcing a delete of surface attach mod and revert to previously installed module manager .dll.

Milkshakefiend, can you give me some more details on what part problems you are seeing?

Sure - some of the parts would change to a completely blue texture and become one of the stock control winglets. I can't remember the name, but its the one with the curved edge. It was a bit of an odd effect. I can reinstall and post screenshots/mod files/mod lists if it would help. The reason I suspected a ModuleManager interaction is because KWRocketry+ uses module manager to share assets to parts that this is possible, and I *believe* those were the only ones glitching. I definitely checked all the KW engines and they were fine. If I had a better understanding of ModuleManager I'd try and hunt down the problem myself, but my experience extends as far as adding IonCross support to a few pods :D

EDIT: To save a little time, I have linked (clicky) to a post with a screenshot of the exact error I got with KWRocketry+ and this mod. I was mistaken about all changing to one stock piece, some of the objects changed to cubes as seen in the parts list.

Edited by Milkshakefiend
Additions

Ratzap, is it just the surface mount engines causing issues with FAR?

I'll play around and see what I can see, I have some ideas what might be causing it.

Yes, if I use the 13KB modulemanager.dll that came with the remote tech MM probe compatibility pack my other mods work and only surface mount engines fails to load (and moans in the logfile). If I use the modulemanager.dll that comes with surface mount engines the other mods fail to load but surface mount engines works.

I've done some testing and checked out some other threads that have also looked at the problem. It appears to be an issue with the Module Manager wildcard extension, which is going to affect both my surface mount engines and Engineer in pods mods. Somnambulist has raised the issue with Sarbian and hopefully he will be able to post an fixed .dll

I've also uploaded the mods with the confirmed, latest version of ModuleManager.dll, just in case.

Also there is an annoying issue with some engines where they surface attach in the middle of the model, which I don't think I can do anything about. As a more elegant solution I'm working on a series of engine mounting plates, so that engines can be node attached to the plate in a variety of ways. It's the same concept as used in Novapunch and other mods. Of course that means building parts from scratch so I've been spending the week learning Blender.

It seems I'm now getting none of the fun of KSP from playing the game (I don't have time) and instead just as much, if not more fun from modding :)

• 6 months later...
Are these different values from the eclss rebalancer that you posted in the eclss thread (which is awesome btw, saved my save game)?

It's the same mod. I recently tweaked the values after doing some more research and improving the way I calculate those values based on that research (blog post here). The difference isn't huge though. Glad you're enjoying the mod :)

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

uhm any word if this works with 0.23 and if it works with certain mods?

Yes it does work with 0.23 and it should work with any mod. All it does is make any engine part surface mountable. However you'll notice it doesn't look good with every engine out there, it all depends on how the collision mesh was made for the engine (not something I can change with a mod). The only way I can solve that issue is to make a set of engine mounting plates with attachment nodes on them: this mod looks very promising

• 3 months later...

Hey Paul Kingtiger, I did enjoy your "Procedural Fairings: Base Decouplers" Module Manager file but Spaceport went down so it's kind of lost. Would you be able to reupload it somewhere? It doesn't look like it's up on your homepage.

P.s. I'd be interested in the "Engineer Redux: All Pods" config as well.

Hey Paul Kingtiger, I did enjoy your "Procedural Fairings: Base Decouplers" Module Manager file but Spaceport went down so it's kind of lost. Would you be able to reupload it somewhere? It doesn't look like it's up on your homepage.

P.s. I'd be interested in the "Engineer Redux: All Pods" config as well.

Hi Seth,

Yes I can get those both uploaded for you. I'll get them up and post the location here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.