kOS Scriptable Autopilot System 0.9

KevinLaity

Also, I don't believe you can edit programs that are in the rockets volume outside of KSP/kOS, only the ones in the archive volume.

Yes and no. You can edit programs in the non-archive volumes, BUT only using the KOS terminal, and its limited editor, not using an external text editor. (Well I guess you *could* edit them with a text eidtor, by editing the persistence file in the save game but I really don't recommend doing that, and besides you have to quit and reload the save to do it that way.)

I just "switch to archive" and run them from there. Though once I get back into actually playing KSP and not just testing things (whenever RT2 comes out of play testing) then I'll just put my programs in archive and copy them to the rocket(s) as needed.

It should be noted that if you want to copy programs from archive to the remote probe, you have to do it in this order:

On Probe:

switch to 1.
copy progname FROM archive.

rather than in this order:

switch to archive.
copy progname TO 1.

It took me a while to work out that this is how you're expected to be allowed to send updates to the remote probes.

YIt should be noted that if you want to copy programs from archive to the remote probe, you have to do it in this order:

On Probe:

It took me a while to work out that this is how you're expected to be allowed to send updates to the remote probes.

I've never had a problem switching to archive and copying to 1.

Yes and no. You can edit programs in the non-archive volumes, BUT only using the KOS terminal, and its limited editor, not using an external text editor. (Well I guess you *could* edit them with a text eidtor, by editing the persistence file in the save game but I really don't recommend doing that, and besides you have to quit and reload the save to do it that way.)

It should be noted that if you want to copy programs from archive to the remote probe, you have to do it in this order:

On Probe:

switch to 1.
copy progname FROM archive.

switch to archive.
copy progname TO 1.

Yes, thank you, I haven't actually done that yet so I didn't know off the top of my head. In that case, would it be possible to copy from other remote probes, say

switch to 1.
copy orbit from 2.

Dunno what the purpose of copying from one probe to another would be though, as it would be better to in the long run to copy it from one probe to archive then to another probe, that is if you edited a program on a probe that you wanted to send to another probe.

Completely separate idea...assuming at some point RT 2 is fully released, and kOS and RT 2 are made to be compatible, I can imagine updating the comm sat network software by sending the command to one sat, and having it propagate/download to the others, as opposed to having to switch to each sat to reload its software. :)

Completely separate idea...assuming at some point RT 2 is fully released, and kOS and RT 2 are made to be compatible, I can imagine updating the comm sat network software by sending the command to one sat, and having it propagate/download to the others, as opposed to having to switch to each sat to reload its software. :)

I'd love to see the two work perfectly together. It could be interesting, if you fail to debug:

>LIST SATELLITES.
[i]CommSat1[/i]
[i]CommSat2[/i]
[i]CommSat3[/i]
[i]CommSat4[/i]
>UPLOAD [i]newprogram[/i] TO [i]satellite[/i] [i]satellite2[/i] [i]satellite3[/i] [i]satellite4[/i].
>REMOTE RUN [i]newprogram[/i].
>LIST SATELLITES.
Error: No Commsats found.

I said "remote" probes. Meaning ones out in space not ones on the launchpad. Once you're far enough away from home, the command "switch to archive" fails.

Would relaying programs be possible then? Say you've written a program, saved it to the archive and want to send it to a rover on Duna. But you don't want a bajillion antennas on your tiny rover, just enough to reach an orbiting satellite. Could you relay the program via that satellite?

I'd love to see the two work perfectly together. It could be interesting, if you fail to debug:

>LIST SATELLITES.
[i]CommSat1[/i]
[i]CommSat2[/i]
[i]CommSat3[/i]
[i]CommSat4[/i]
>UPLOAD [i]newprogram[/i] TO [i]satellite[/i] [i]satellite2[/i] [i]satellite3[/i] [i]satellite4[/i].
>REMOTE RUN [i]newprogram[/i].
>LIST SATELLITES.
Error: No Commsats found.

HAHA, yeah, accidently upload "deorbit" by mistake ;) Fortunately, I don't think it'd be possible to "brick" probes/sats like in real life with a firmware upgrade...hopefully not anyway. :)

Would relaying programs be possible then? Say you've written a program, saved it to the archive and want to send it to a rover on Duna. But you don't want a bajillion antennas on your tiny rover, just enough to reach an orbiting satellite. Could you relay the program via that satellite?

Theoretically it should work...pretty sure I read you can attach the stock antennas and be able to connect when in orbit. Not sure if it has a range limit or not though, as I haven't gotten that far yet.

Update: I just tested with dual commutron 16's and they do allow access to the archive from orbit. It maybe that range isn't a factor just yet, just as long as you have an antenna part it allows archive access.

Edited by Sma

Hey guys, 0.61 is out which I'm hoping will address both of the steering issues from 0.6.

For now I've reverted to the attitude control that was in 0.5. I may have become too fixated on the oversteering I was getting in very specific situations (in orbit with a very light ship), which was not a showstopping problem anyway.

Adding together rotations and vectors should now work, as long as the rotation is on the left side of the operator. There may be more cases I haven't accounted for when mixing rotations and vectors.

Hey guys, 0.61 is out which I'm hoping will address both of the steering issues from 0.6.

For now I've reverted to the attitude control that was in 0.5. I may have become too fixated on the oversteering I was getting in very specific situations (in orbit with a very light ship), which was not a showstopping problem anyway.

Adding together rotations and vectors should now work, as long as the rotation is on the left side of the operator. There may be more cases I haven't accounted for when mixing rotations and vectors.

Sweet man thank you so much. I just took the time to comment my code anyway. It really needed it. So you did me a favor. LOL.

I said "remote" probes. Meaning ones out in space not ones on the launchpad. Once you're far enough away from home, the command "switch to archive" fails.

Actually you're not supposed to be able to copy files like that at all ;) but I've only implemented a check on the SWITCH command for now, intentionally to get people used to working within the limitations.

Be sure to put antennas on your probes if you plan on accessing the archive drive from space. One antenna is sufficient for Kerbin orbit up to 150 km.

I really need to catch up on writing my documentation!

Relaying is something I've thought of. I'd like to be able to COPY TO target, but not sure yet how doable that is, since I have to save persistence data from the part and parts don't operate outside of physics range.

Actually you're not supposed to be able to copy files like that at all ;) but I've only implemented a check on the SWITCH command for now, intentionally to get people used to working within the limitations.

Be sure to put antennas on your probes if you plan on accessing the archive drive from space. One antenna is sufficient for Kerbin orbit up to 150 km.

I really need to catch up on writing my documentation!

I don't understand your description. In the first paragraph it sounds like you said you're not supposed to be able to copy from the archive to the probe, and in the second you say you are.

If you have an antenna and are in range, you should be able to switch to and copy from/to the archive.

If you are out of range for your antenna, or have no antenna, you should not be able to switch to or copy from/to the archive.

However, he's only blocked the switch, not the copy.

Relaying is something I've thought of. I'd like to be able to COPY TO target, but not sure yet how doable that is, since I have to save persistence data from the part and parts don't operate outside of physics range.

Oh interesting. So that's why. I don't mind the way it works now. It's just not obvious to the user THAT it works that way. Getting the message that the archive is "out of range" when you 'switch to archive' should probably be a bit more explanatory, like "At long range, archive is only accessible via COPY ... FROM ARCHIVE." might help.

As it is, it makes you think the range is too far to do ANYTHING with the archive - even copy files from it.

Oh interesting. So that's why. I don't mind the way it works now. It's just not obvious to the user THAT it works that way. Getting the message that the archive is "out of range" when you 'switch to archive' should probably be a bit more explanatory, like "At long range, archive is only accessible via COPY ... FROM ARCHIVE." might help.

As it is, it makes you think the range is too far to do ANYTHING with the archive - even copy files from it.

If you're out of range you ARE too far to do anything with it. I just haven't put all the range checks in yet. In the future you will absolutely need antennas to use archive from orbit.

It never even occurred to me to even try that. If it's so far out that you can't switch to archive, you should be too far away to copy from it.

NASA sends new software to real probes all the time. Even ancient ones like Voyager had updates sent during the mission from a LOT farther than 150 km away.

This seems like an artificially short limitation to not allow it above 150k.

I would argue VERY hard that the ability to send code updates to probes needs to be allowed, especially in light of the fact that you can only use a good text editor on code in the archive back home, not on code in the probe.

If you're out of range you ARE too far to do anything with it. I just haven't put all the range checks in yet. In the future you will absolutely need antennas to use archive from orbit.

I have antennas. But the Mun is too far away even with antennas.

NASA sends new software to real probes all the time. Even ancient ones like Voyager had updates sent during the mission from a LOT farther than 150 km away.

I would argue VERY hard that the ability to send code updates to probes needs to be allowed, especially in light of the fact that you can only use a good text editor on code in the archive back home, not on code in the probe.

This is true, but if the probe is too far away to get a signal, it's too far away to get a signal.

This seems like an artificially short limitation to not allow it above 150k.

Which is why I'd like to see RemoteTech play with this. Setting up networks with combinations of dishes and antennas to get a signal where you need it.

I am new with KOS, but I really like how much it promise this tool.

Right now I am looking a way to land my liquid boosters at target location (spacex style) 2 at the same time, but I dont know how :S

Kos is great becouse it allow you to have more than 1 autopilot to the same time.

But I was wonder, There is not a way to activate mechjeb programs? MechJeb already has a lot of programs who can save us.

If we can not fire programs of mechjeb, there is someone transcripting some of the mechjeb codes to KOS?

Also It will be nice to see a site with different script programs made by users.