What foul magic is this?

Dr.Goodbytes

So I was messing around in KSP, mostly practicing getting in to orbit and some deorbiting tomfoolery. And after repeated reverts to launch, started to have issues with my rocket hitting some invisible water pipe.

cHZivyY.png

What foul magic is this?

The same thing happened in this thread where the only mod was MechJeb.

No mods here!

I'm guessing that it was caused by a disgruntled plumber, recently fired from the Kerbal Plumber Program. I think that's the first time I've seen Jeb look worried!

Well we still haven't heard if this person has MechJeb or other mods installed, you never know, it just might not be a vanilla problem, but then again it might be, which is why we need information!

If the issue occurs in a game where no mods are involved, then it demonstrates that mods are not causing the problem...

That said, it was back in April, and April was er...0.20?

To my knowledge, this is a known bug. After a sustained period of time in the flight screen, the pipes collision mesh migrates. I have seen this issue documented in many mission reports of people flying interplanetary SSTOs. Many of them have taken to landing at the island airfield because of it.

I run stock. I only had mechjeb installed a few times when it happened. So it happens any way. Tough not a problem in 0.21 for me so fare.

99.9% I run stock. Clean install and save didnt make a difference in 0.20. Use the windows version under wine in linux.

There have been other users reporting it in the K-prize thread to.

Its definitely a bug. The ods that people get the same problem from bad hardware, corrupted download etc is small in comparison to the ods of it being a simple bug. Back in 0.20 I could repeat this bug reliably.

Edited by pa1983

Hrms! Quite interesting. It's like the collision mesh wanders for the water tower next to the launchpad. I suspect that's what was hit.

I once had a ship collide with the Statue (in the pyramid complex in the great desert) while the ship was in orbit... so I believe collision meshes can wander far afield in strange situations.

Edited by Brotoro

I once had a ship collide with the Statue (in the pyramid complex in the great desert) while the ship was in orbit... so I believe collision meshes can wander far afield in strange situations.

I remember this. That was awesome.

Does anyone else remember the Sierpinski terrain?

That was the best thing ever on these forums. The real kicker? At the end, we found out that it WASN'T the statue...