The best "To the Mun and back" spacecraft!!! (no mods)

Yran

Guest Flixxbeatz

Your best spacecraft was also others\' spacecraft (pointing at the lander module) =P

Welp... Vanilla. Not so much variations. Congratulations on the successful mission :)

Your best spacecraft was also others\' spacecraft (pointing at the lander module) =P

Welp... Vanilla. Not so much variations. Congratulations on the successful mission :)

Agreed. It\'s like physics; only when they are arranged in a certain way do they become efficient...

Agreed. It\'s like physics; only when they are arranged in a certain way do they become efficient...

Why dose the time matter? The only real way it couldve been faster is if it were mod parts.

Or mabye the kerbals spent some time on the moon, actually had a walk, streched their legs, took a few samples....

I agree, time is of no real importance as you can\'t really calculate the orbit to get you to the Mun at the first loop.

So what you basically do is just to get ap at 9-12 m and wait for the Mun to catch you.

What matters are the reliability of the craft (such as spare fuel for unforeseen circumstances, say you see a bad, bad slope below and need to fly a little to the side) and the ease of control, minimizing the influence of pilot errors.

I agree, time is of no real importance as you can\'t really calculate the orbit to get you to the Mun at the first loop.

So what you basically do is just to get ap at 9-12 m and wait for the Mun to catch you.

What matters are the reliability of the craft (such as spare fuel for unforeseen circumstances, say you see a bad, bad slope below and need to fly a little to the side) and the ease of control, minimizing the influence of pilot errors.

I forgot about that, Thier is alot of time wasted if you use the 'Set orbit through muns orbit and wait to be caught.'

Why dose the time matter? The only real way it couldve been faster is if it were mod parts.

Or mabye the kerbals spent some time on the moon, actually had a walk, streched their legs, took a few samples....

Eh the point im making here is that you only have about a dozen of functioning parts when using stock. There are many combinations, but only will certain designs achieve that maximum potential.

It would not be too coincedental if two, seperate species in different parts of the universe, end up alot like eachother. Birds have wings, but so do insects, and their structures are not related to eachother down the evolutionary timeline. Yet, natural selection ends up with close if not the same solutions.

Natural selection in this case, would be like design of a rocket. 'What can I do to make this better...'

5 fuel tanks, a pod, and an engine is what it takes if I remember right.

5 fuel tanks, 6 boosters at start took my pod, adv sas, rsc tank and 6 thrusters + 3 winglets to Ap 220 000 m. I guess by using all rsc fuel i would get to the Mun, but keeping orientation after dropping adv sas is pain. And one way trip only.

I also looked up to some different designs I tried, the most efficient seem to ones with lots of engines and few tanks at first stages, with more tanks and less engines later. Get to the orbit fast, drop stages, manuever slowly, then mun with as few parts as possible. Starting off from Mun is easy.

Sure you can. HarvesteR told us how before the mun was even an experimental release.

1. Get into orbit headed toward point 90, switch to orbital camera. Set timewarp and wait for a bit.

2. As soon as you see the mun appear over the horizon, drop out of warp and thrust prograde until your apokee matches the mun\'s orbit.

First loop, every time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.