How does Danny2462 do it?

Spyritdragon

Dunno if this is technically a request for help, so i put it here in general discussion instead. It's more of a 'wondering'.

I was just wondering. If you've ever looked up KSP on youtube, and looked beside the Scott Manley videos, you're bound to run into Danny2462's videos.

For, him, everything glitches out. He drives a car off of the runway, his game glitches out. He makes a rocket blow up into a bunch of pieces, and ends up with hovering fuel tanks and girders flying skyward. He breaks off a few solar panels, his game glitches hilariously. He crashes a plane, the game glitches and he has an endlessly running engine. He pokes a rod into the ground, and he has a runway flying in orbit or a glitched out map view. I can go on and on like this.

I've crashed quite a few planes, had quite a few high-momentum collisions, and similar stuff. My game almost never glitches out like that.

It's all caught on 1080p camera, which i imagine takes up quite a bit of space, so it doesn't seem like he records huge amounts of footage to pick out the glitches.

Not that i don't like the video's - they're absolutely hilarious, it's an awesome side of KSP to have fun with and to watch. I'm just wondering, what is it about his "fails" that make the game glitch out so spectacularly?

Also, does anyone else share the sentiment that if everything in KSP worked perfectly the way it should, the game just wouldn't be the same anymore?

What I wanna know is how he has the rocket flying and then chases it down with a plane (see the Agent Kirrim video).

Most probable he just switches vehicles starts the boosters and switches back (u know that you can simply switch vessels with the bracket keys, right?)

It's all caught on 1080p camera, which i imagine takes up quite a bit of space

what is it about his "fails" that make the game glitch out so spectacularly?

It's quite possible that his machine can't handle the tasks of playing the game while also recording it at that resolution. Seems like the most reasonable answer.

Danny ascribes to the beta tester mantra: "screw around until stuff breaks". When you think about it, what Danny does Is stuff that the game (or even common sense) is not designed to accommodate and is more "I wonder what will happen when..." than any real accident. Even the devs are subscribed to his channel, mainly to find out what's broken.

It's quite possible that his machine can't handle the tasks of playing the game while also recording it at that resolution. Seems like the most reasonable answer.

Thing is, he barely lags at all, indiciting his CPU handles the situation just fine i think.

Also, yes, i was also going to ask that - how does he do it, chasing down that rocket? The exhaust from the rocket doesn't seem to be solid fuel exhaust.

Uh, if a PC can't handle playing a game it won't glitch, it'll crash or freeze because it runs out of memory or such.

I don't think you understand what a glitch is...

He probably used something like LAZOR systems remote control.

I was using this a while ago to do similar things myself: Launch a rocket from the safety of a Cruise Missile rover. Send a cruise missile off to the rocket. Watch as the 2.5km blast radius vapourizes the entire rocket stack and flips the missile rover over onto its back, detonating the missiles and, well.. I suppose chain reaction failures are the funniest failures.

Problem is, it seems like lately, the remote control mod will fire the engines, and the craft will sit on the floor trying to burn a hole through the launch pad. What gives?

I've had a glitch better than one of Danny's.

So I was flying around Kerbin city and crashed into one of the buildings. As usual, the cockpit survived. Right at the moment the cockpit hit the ground and exploded, I EVA'd the Kerbal. Then, nothing happened. The Kerbal just stood there with a slight grin. What happened is he EVA'd and didn't have any of the capsule's velocity unlike a usual EVA'd kerbal (y'know, the way they normally do when you EVA them on a plane's ladder). You have no idea how hard I laughed.

Also:

It says in the description that he used HyperEdit.

Edited by Gojira

He said in a comment a long time ago that he just plays KSP so much that stuff like this happens.

This is how it is, I've play a fair bit of KSP and I've wound up doing almost every if not every bug Danny has found and then some, before or after seeing him do it on YouTube. I still can't for the life of my Kerbals figure out how to make them survive landing on their heads but it's not like I ever need to know... I'll just keep waiting a day and crossing my fingers for them to come back.