Space Computer. Brought to you by kOS and hopefully many nerds.

Payload

Ok I've tested your ascent script with my test rocket and it works pretty well. I got 101193m by 100023m on my first try. I also got 0.3 inclination which is not too bad.

My biggest gripe is that when running your script the rocket wobbled a LOT which sucks because when i launched it manually i was able to keep it very steady.

... here is a much improved version taking a different approach....

I've tested this too and the throttle doesn't stutter, but with this particular script I got a maximum difference of 7m. That's a large step in the wrong direction.

Tried Payload's script with a few different rockets. For some reason, the initial 10k ascent really drifts (at one point I was heading counterclockwise, before the gravity turn kicked in). Would it be worth activating SAS for that part, given that it's a straight shot? It also drifts on the gravity turn, but I'm very impressed with how it corrects the drift when under power. I also came out with a low inclination, although the circularisation didn't work for my own rocket. It does tend to wobble a lot, a bit like how the old ASAS used to shudder, but I'm wondering if that can be tweaked somehow?

Would be nice if kOS allowed prompts for numerical input so that the desired apoapsis could be set without the use of action groups.

Ok I've tested your ascent script with my test rocket and it works pretty well. I got 101193m by 100023m on my first try. I also got 0.3 inclination which is not too bad.

My biggest gripe is that when running your script the rocket wobbled a LOT which sucks because when i launched it manually i was able to keep it very steady.

I've tested this too and the throttle doesn't stutter, but with this particular script I got a maximum difference of 7m. That's a large step in the wrong direction.

It wobbles a lot because you have it over controlled. I noticed. Remove most of those canards and add some struts and I think we are in business.

You may find the initial is wobbly because it is trying to roll the craft on 90 degrees shortly after take off. You can change that by setting rProgram to 180. But yea, Computer controlled rockets are going to be faster than a human controlled one so you may think about giving it less atmospheric control authority. Maybe add a few reaction wheels and reduce the canards. It definitely needs struts. I didn't add any or change anything because I wanted to be sure it would at least orbit the rocket. That rocket is very much like most kerbal rockets. So I figured it was the perfect test vehicle. It is certainly very close to be being on the edge of what the program is able to do.

But yea the test rocket is wobbly. That is down to how it is constructed more than what the program is doing. I tried it with mech jeb and it is just as wobbly.

Try the Jebpollo if you haven't already. I also took the time to write a transfer script. Eccentricity of 1.2E-05 is the lowest I have seen reported after a transfer. And I know how to get the eccentricity of the launch script down even further. Literally, one ten thousandth of that eccentricity is hard coded and can be removed. I had several launches to orbit last night with an "e" of six hundred thousandths or better. I would say that part of the code is working fine.

I am not happy with the way I am doing G-turns right now. Those can be customized for whatever rocket you are launching and it does work well for a variety of standard rockets but it isn't ideal for all. I am going to have to find a way to replace that part of the script with more dynamic code.

Tried Payload's script with a few different rockets. For some reason, the initial 10k ascent really drifts (at one point I was heading counterclockwise, before the gravity turn kicked in). Would it be worth activating SAS for that part, given that it's a straight shot? It also drifts on the gravity turn, but I'm very impressed with how it corrects the drift when under power. I also came out with a low inclination, although the circularisation didn't work for my own rocket. It does tend to wobble a lot, a bit like how the old ASAS used to shudder, but I'm wondering if that can be tweaked somehow?

Would be nice if kOS allowed prompts for numerical input so that the desired apoapsis could be set without the use of action groups.

Are you guys still using the old script or are you using the one I posted for Jebpollo? Because that is the new launch to orbit and it should circularize any rocket if you let it. You can't warp past it's intended burn start though or it will cause problems. Either way, if the script is having trouble controlling your rocket it's down to one of two things.

Your rocket doesn't have enough control or it has too much. Any of the rockets I have tried, go up straight as an arrow.. well all but the test vehicle. That is a case of too much control authority and a really wobbly rocket. You can set any orbital inclination you would like by changing the Y value before lift off.

But yea the new launch to orbit script is the one that is posted with the Jebpollo.

Here is the Hohmann transfer script I wrote last night.

clearscreen.
sas off.
Set Go to 0.
set tOrbit to apoapsis.
set flagup to 0.
set flagdown to 0.
set confirm to 0.
set BurnNow to 0.
set selection to 0.
set eccintricity to
(((apoapsis + 600000)-(periapsis + 600000))/((apoapsis + 600000)+(periapsis + 600000))).
set done to 0.

print "Select your orbit altitude.".
print "--------------------------------".
print " ".
print " ".
print "Use action group 9 to add 10Km to orbit alt.".
print " ".
print "Use action group 8 to remove 10Km from orbit alt.".
print " ".
print "Use action group 7 to confirm orbit alt.".

until selection = 1
{
on ag9 set flagup to 1.
on ag8 set flagdown to 1.
on ag7 set confirm to 1.

if flagup = 1
{
clearscreen.
print " ".
print "Default orbit alt is set to " + tOrbit + "m".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
set tOrbit to tOrbit + 10000.
print "You have selected " + tOrbit.
toggle ag9.
set flagup to 0.
}.

if flagdown = 1
{
clearscreen.
print "".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
set tOrbit to tOrbit - 10000.
if tOrbit < 80000 { set tOrbit to 80000. }.
print "You have selected " + tOrbit + "m".
toggle ag8.
set flagdown to 0.
}.

if confirm = 1
{
clearscreen.
print " ".
print "Your new orbit will be. " + tOrbit + "m".
print " ".
toggle ag7.
set confirm to 0.
wait 2.
set selection to 1.
}.
}.

if tOrbit = apoapsis { set done to 1. }.
if tOrbit > apoapsis { set condition to 0. }.
if tOrbit < apoapsis { set condition to 1. }.

if eccintricity < 0.002
{ set BurnNow to 1. }.

if condition = 0
{
lock steering to prograde.
if BurnNow = 1
{
print "When your ship is pointed prograde.".
print "Use action group 7 to begin the burn.".
on ag7 set Go to 1.
}.
if BurnNow = 0
{
print "Wating for Periapsis.".
when eta:periapsis < 1 then set Go to 1.
}.
wait until Go = 1.
print "Burning for " + tOrbit + "m".
lock throttle to 1.
set Go to 0.
when apoapsis > tOrbit - (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when apoapsis > tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set Go to 1. }.
wait until Go = 1.
set Gk to 3.5216000*10^12.
set Radius to 600000 + apoapsis.
set iRadius to 600000 + ((apoapsis+periapsis)/2).
set tVel to (Gk/Radius)^0.5.
set iVel to (Gk/iRadius)^0.5.
set reqdV to (iVel-tVel).
set acceleration to (maxthrust/mass).
set burnTime to (reqdV/acceleration).
set tTime to (burnTime/2).
set waitTime to eta:apoapsis - tTime.
print "Curcularizing Burn in " + waitTime + "seconds.".
when eta:apoapsis < tTime then lock throttle to 1.
when periapsis > tOrbit - (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when periapsis > tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set done to 1. }.
}.

if condition = 1
{
lock steering to retrograde.
if BurnNow = 1
{
print "When your ship is pointed retrograde.".
on ag7 set Go to 1.
}.
if BurnNow = 0
{
print "Wating for Apoapsis.".
when eta:apoapsis < 1 then set Go to 1.
}.
wait until Go = 1.
print "Burning for " + tOrbit + "m Periapsis.".
lock throttle to 1.
set Go to 0.
when periapsis < tOrbit + (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when periapsis < tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set Go to 1. }.
wait until Go = 1.
set waitTime to eta:periapsis - tTime.
when eta:periapsis < tTime then lock throttle to 1.
when apoapsis < tOrbit + (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when apoapsis < tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set done to 1. }.
}.

wait until done = 1.
sas on.
print " ".
print "Orbital Eccentricity is " +
(((apoapsis + 600000)-(periapsis + 600000))/((apoapsis + 600000)+(periapsis + 600000))).
print " ".

Edited by Payload

Just for you, I wrote an entire Hohmann transfer script last night with NO LOOPS.

clearscreen.
sas off.
Set Go to 0.
set tOrbit to apoapsis.
set flagup to 0.
set flagdown to 0.
set confirm to 0.
set BurnNow to 0.
set selection to 0.
set eccintricity to
set done to 0.

print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".

until selection = 1
{
on ag9 set flagup to 1.
on ag8 set flagdown to 1.
on ag7 set confirm to 1.

if flagup = 1
{
clearscreen.
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
set tOrbit to tOrbit + 10000.
print "You have selected " + tOrbit.
toggle ag9.
set flagup to 0.
}.

if flagdown = 1
{
clearscreen.
print "".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
print " ".
set tOrbit to tOrbit - 10000.
if tOrbit < 80000 { set tOrbit to 80000. }.
print "You have selected " + tOrbit + "m".
toggle ag8.
set flagdown to 0.
}.

if confirm = 1
{
clearscreen.
print " ".
print "Your new orbit will be. " + tOrbit + "m".
print " ".
toggle ag7.
set confirm to 0.
wait 2.
set selection to 1.
}.
}.

if tOrbit = apoapsis { set done to 1. }.
if tOrbit > apoapsis { set condition to 0. }.
if tOrbit < apoapsis { set condition to 1. }.

if eccintricity < 0.002
{ set BurnNow to 1. }.

if condition = 0
{
lock steering to prograde.
if BurnNow = 1
{
print "When your ship is pointed prograde.".
on ag7 set Go to 1.
}.
if BurnNow = 0
{
print "Wating for Periapsis.".
when eta:periapsis < 1 then set Go to 1.
}.
wait until Go = 1.
print "Burning for " + tOrbit + "m".
lock throttle to 1.
set Go to 0.
when apoapsis > tOrbit - (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when apoapsis > tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set Go to 1. }.
wait until Go = 1.
set waitTime to eta:apoapsis - tTime.
when eta:apoapsis < tTime then lock throttle to 1.
when periapsis > tOrbit - (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when periapsis > tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set done to 1. }.
}.

if condition = 1
{
lock steering to retrograde.
if BurnNow = 1
{
print "When your ship is pointed retrograde.".
on ag7 set Go to 1.
}.
if BurnNow = 0
{
print "Wating for Apoapsis.".
when eta:apoapsis < 1 then set Go to 1.
}.
wait until Go = 1.
print "Burning for " + tOrbit + "m Periapsis.".
lock throttle to 1.
set Go to 0.
when periapsis < tOrbit + (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when periapsis < tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set Go to 1. }.
wait until Go = 1.
set waitTime to eta:periapsis - tTime.
when eta:periapsis < tTime then lock throttle to 1.
when apoapsis < tOrbit + (tOrbit*.05) then lock throttle to .05.
when apoapsis < tOrbit then { lock throttle to 0. set done to 1. }.
}.

wait until done = 1.
sas on.
print " ".
print "Orbital Eccentricity is " +
print " ".

Not a single loop in the whole working part of the script. All pure top down logic. The only loop is for setting a variable. You can set that manually if you like.

Edited by Leonov

I would also like to make a public apology to KevinLaity the creator of the kOS for crapping his thread up. Without his mod we wouldn't be able to have nerd fights about virtual computer code. Those kind of fundamental programming discussion belong here.

I will also be making the effort to get the first post updated with the current status of SpaceComputer 1.0. I do thank you all for your contributions and continued testing.

Edited by Leonov

OK folks the front page is updated. I will try to keep that as the place to get the most updated information I have available. If you wish to test any of the scripts those will always be the newest. Barring any unforeseen circumstances of course.

The scripts posted there are the newest available fresh off my hard drive. Grab those before you test.

Payload a question for you. How hard would it be on your launch to orbit script to also set inclination on launch? Or is the mod not able to handle the math for that yet ( << fairly new to programming tho I am learning with this program and your work)

Payload a question for you. How hard would it be on your launch to orbit script to also set inclination on launch? Or is the mod not able to handle the math for that yet ( << fairly new to programming tho I am learning with this program and your work)
You can set any orbital inclination you would like by changing the Y value before lift off. See below.

Now that is how I programmed it to work. Does it? Who knows? Never tried it. Though you can see in the top where I have set the initial values y,p,r. If you set y to 3 instead of 0 that should put you in a 3deg inclined orbit.

Edited by Payload

Setting y to 3 gave me an inclination of almost 6 ( the roll program threw the yaw way wide but the gravity turn brought it most of the way back. however setting the gravity turn program to also apply some yaw is giving me the results I want least when i get it to yaw the correct amount that FAR wont toss it into a spin. Either way love your program especially soon as i get this inclination thing sorted out.

Setting y to 3 gave me an inclination of almost 6 ( the roll program threw the yaw way wide but the gravity turn brought it most of the way back. however setting the gravity turn program to also apply some yaw is giving me the results I want least when i get it to yaw the correct amount that FAR wont toss it into a spin. Either way love your program especially soon as i get this inclination thing sorted out.

Try setting rProgram to 180 instead of 90. It wont roll at all then. Seems to me that peoples crafts don't have the control authority to roll the rockets in time. If you have asparagus stages you might want to consider setting rProgram to 180. I will investigate further and see what might be going on.

DoH I just thought of it. You can't set y to 3 until after the turn begins. You have to set it with the section that has the turns. So leave it initialized at 0.

when altitude > turn1 then set p to -35.
when altitude > turn2 then set p to -45.
when altitude > turn3 then set p to -60.
when altitude > turn4 then set p to -75.
when apoapsis > turn5 then set p to -90.

That needs to look like this.

when altitude > turn1 then { set p to -35. set y to 3. }.
when altitude > turn2 then set p to -45.
when altitude > turn3 then set p to -60.
when altitude > turn4 then set p to -75.
when apoapsis > turn5 then set p to -90.

Once y is set to 3 you should then be on course for 3deg inclination. Try that and see if it works. It's obviously going to cause major problems if it is set to 3 before the G-turn. Durr. That is a case of programming on auto pilot. I don't even remember what I programmed.

Edited by Payload

No staging at all this is a single boaster to orbit the thing that may be hurting me as well and requires me to tweek more is the fact I'm using FAR. Your launch program in FAR if shooting for a straight equatorial orbit has my rockets flying like an arrow for all but the 10-17km window ( its see sawing attempting to make the turn with FAR trying to throw it back to prograde) but before or after that point it runs great. I'll also try what you just suggested with the same rocket and report the results.

Edit: 4.273 inclination on that attempt still think its far tossing it slightly more off course which is just somethin i'll have to plan for. For higher inclinations I think I'm going to have to run a set of course corrections along side the gravity turn that nudges it more and more to where I need it to go during the gravity turn. just saw your correction launching another test.

second test 3.122 inclination thanks got it pretty close to dead center now ill just need to figure out a good turn to get the inclinations i need for my various sats.

Edited by Kalista

No staging at all this is a single boaster to orbit the thing that may be hurting me as well and requires me to tweek more is the fact I'm using FAR. Your launch program in FAR if shooting for a straight equatorial orbit has my rockets flying like an arrow for all but the 10-17km window ( its see sawing attempting to make the turn with FAR trying to throw it back to prograde) but before or after that point it runs great. I'll also try what you just suggested with the same rocket and report the results.

I edited the previous post with the correct instructions for setting your inclination.

Also this is certainly not FAR approved. That changes lots of things that are not in the stock game. You could easily change the G-turn settings to make the profile much better for FAR though. Since I don't have FAR I can't test to see what that would be.

The section highlighted above is where the entire gravity turn happens. You can change the turn altitudes where I have set turn1 - turn5. You can change the angle of the turn at those heights with p in the G-turn section.

Edited by Payload

Your standard pitch settings work just fine for my rocket in far so least from my experince it works just fine with it. Also keep up the great work learning alot from your program on how to get this thing to do what I need it to.

Kalista thanks to you coming along I have been testing launching to inclined orbits. Straight up. It is not pretty. There seems to be a certain amount of error in the method I am using since it's not a product of prograde it's not exactly holding the heading we want. Also the circularization burn was getting jacked up because of that too. So any kind of inclination was causing problems with that as well. I have fixed the circularization by being sure to set the steering to prograde before the burn. I think there might be a way to use a product of up and heading to set a definitive direction. I need to investigate further. Also everyone needs to make sure they upgrade to kOS 0.5 because I'm pretty sure you will need that for the heading thing to function. I have a pretty crappy hack version right now that sets a percentage of your requested inclination to y. It looks like it works, but using heading is the proper way to do it.

Things that are in the new updated scripts coming down the pipe "soon" .tm..

Warp control is added so no more waiting for apoapsis or phase during transfers. It will warp automatically to phase and burn time. Fore warning! If your ship is likely to take longer than one minute to orient itself, your gonna have a bad time. Because that is max lead in time. Of course you can change it.

Fixed a bug where the second condition of the shutdown wasn't functioning correctly. Thus is you where far out of circ spec for some reason, it wouldn't halt at 1k+set altitude. This problem shouldn't pop up again it's been bootstrapped.

Fixed a bug where sometimes the throttle would not be set to 0 before the program ended.

To Do.

Get a functioning inclination launch working. Even if I have to do something super hacky for now at least it will work. Hopefully it won't be too long before proper functionality is available. It might already be as of 0.5. Needs further investigation.

Get the G-turn section replaced with something more dynamic. Hopefully we can work with a wider range of rockets without people having to set custom G-turn settings.

Edited by Payload

Payload can you rename all your variables to something more descriptive so i can debug your scripts more easily.

Cpt. I'm not specifically sure which variables you are talking about because I name everything according to the conventions I have been using since school. That was 15 years ago.

Simple conventions.

Anything with a lowercase t in front. "t" is for target. So where you see like tAngle and tThr. That is target angle and target throttle. Lowercase "i" prefix stands for initial. After that they are all pretty self explanatory.

If there is something you have a question about I can clear it up for you. Just ask. I adhere to a lot more strict naming convention rules than most people. So I am not really sure what you could be having a problem with.

One other request I would make. In the next version of space computer would it be possible to have the throttle set to where it attempts to maintain a certain speed till it gets out of the lower atmosphere ? That way lighter weight rockets and well rockets in general try to maintain a proper speed for the best use of delta-v insted of possibly overcooking the throttle. 200-250m/s ish range till 10-15km would be a decent start for it.

One other request I would make. In the next version of space computer would it be possible to have the throttle set to where it attempts to maintain a certain speed till it gets out of the lower atmosphere ? That way lighter weight rockets and well rockets in general try to maintain a proper speed for the best use of delta-v insted of possibly overcooking the throttle. 200-250m/s ish range till 10-15km would be a decent start for it.

I have thought about adding that function and I have tested it. It works just fine. I'll see about getting that in there. It isn't too hard to add.

You should think about adding more fuel to your rocket though, or maybe use a smaller engine. It is inefficient to lay off throttle like that. It means you could have taken more fuel or a lighter engine.

It has more to do with FAR and deadly reentry. Going to fast in low altitude will make my rocket wobble like a unbalanced washing machine and if it gets to bad enough G forces will sheer the thing inhalf. Now I know youre setting the program up mainly for the base game but this QoL addition would make it extremely useful for FAR/DRE users as well. So far with heavy or medium weight rockets i haven't had a single issue with space computer flying it into orbit using FAR and DRE.

Is this the latest script?

Can't remember what version I tested, so was intending to take another look at this and report back (bearing in mind the earlier comments about control authority and drift).

I love how this has grown. Big thanks to Payload for driving this.

=================

EDIT: Ah, just check the OP!

Edited by TMS

O.K. Guys. New updates on the front page.

Heading is now set via yaw with the Variable tHeading. Inclination launches are now as easy as setting a heading.

The further you stray from equatorial the more Your inclination will vary from heading.

Worst is polar at around 84deg inclination. 45 deg heading was 44.6 inclination. YMMV.

Rockets launched into inclination should now circularize much better.

Pitch is set just like it used to be. Only with a better term and the numbers now correspond to the Nav Ball.

Throttle limiting is in. You can currently limit your TWR directly via the variable tTWR. You can turn throttle limits off with the variable throttleLimit.

Auto warp is in. If you have focus on the kOS window then the auto warp will default to Physical Warp for some reason. So make sure you don't.

Hohmann transfer updated with warp script.

In progress.

Getting the menu systems updated to reflect the new features.

Still waiting on EXIT AND RUN. Before that will function correctly.

As all ways, The current settings should launch most reasonable rockets. With minor tweaking you should be able to launch just about any rocket.

Any feedback and testing is welcome. Enjoy.

Edited by Payload

Launch script is good, but I'm still drifting and coming out with an undesired inclination - the extremity of which doesn't seem to be predictable. The damage is done on the initial ascent below 10k.

Tried variations of winglets, reaction wheels and different TWR to try and keep things steady, but to no avail. I'm struggling to see where the problem lies. It's not a lack of control authority, as the ship is capable of turning in the gravity turn. Nor does it appear to be too much control authority.

Craft file: http://www./?7vye8i0aq4q6nr5

The video below is typical of what I'm talking about (view in HD for statistical/navball details). Ignore the circularisation burn as I didn't have enough dV to get into stable orbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb2zbBpjlAc]

Away from that, the circularisation script works very well when you do have the fuel in the stage - although the timewarp misses lower apoapses. I suspect you need some sort of logic in there that figures out if the target apoapsis is only a small increment away from the point at which warp can be switched on and, if so, only use the lower warp levels.

Also, I suspect this is a kOS issue, but physical warp is also enabled if KSP.exe isn't the active window (I play in windowed fullscreen). Might add that to the Git bug tracker.

Edited by TMS

Launch script is good, but I'm still drifting and coming out with an undesired inclination - the extremity of which doesn't seem to be predictable. The damage is done on the initial ascent below 10k.

Tried variations of winglets, reaction wheels and different TWR to try and keep things steady, but to no avail. I'm struggling to see where the problem lies. It's not a lack of control authority, as the ship is capable of turning in the gravity turn. Nor does it appear to be too much control authority.

Craft file: http://www./?7vye8i0aq4q6nr5

The video below is typical of what I'm talking about (view in HD for statistical/navball details). Ignore the circularisation burn as I didn't have enough dV to get into stable orbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb2zbBpjlAc]

Away from that, the circularisation script works very well when you do have the fuel in the stage - although the timewarp misses lower apoapses. I suspect you need some sort of logic in there that figures out if the target apoapsis is only a small increment away from the point at which warp can be switched on and, if so, only use the lower warp levels.

Also, I suspect this is a kOS issue, but physical warp is also enabled if KSP.exe isn't the active window (I play in windowed fullscreen). Might add that to the Git bug tracker.

Apparently you didn't read about the time warp. The warp logic is already set to be sensible. I also can't fix the fact that the Physical warp kicks in if you have focus on the kOS window. The best I can do is close the display before it warps. That would have to be an action group that YOU set up. I can't do it for you.

Your rocket can't roll fast enough so it's wobbling about. According to Kevin, that should be reduced in the new version that is coming "soon TM." I have no control over that. I think the major problem is coming from force roll on lift off. I have been able to successfully add roll control back in the test version. You will have to set it so that your rocket doesn't roll after take off. I have a few things to do this morning but I'll be back in a few hours and I can post the script with roll control. I bet that solves your take off wobbles. It is trying to roll to 0 right after take off. You just need to tell it not to. Just to be clear. I have no control over the PID for the steering. I can only tell it where to point. Reading Kevin's latest blog post has me pretty assured we wont have to suffer that problem much longer.

OK just watched your whole video. That rocket is not stable because it is bottom heavy. It also looks like you have FAR installed. I cannot help with a dynamic pressure problem you have caused yourself. Try reducing the TWR limit until it's stable in lower atmosphere. Next time ask yourself why you think you need all that orange tank and mainsail to launch such a light payload. Look at it driving the steering controls to the limits! How is it supposed to be able to control the rocket if it is at it's limit? Lose that ridiculous lower stage for something about 30 tons lighter.

You guys install all of these things to make flying rockets more real and then you complain to me that it is too real?

Edited by Payload

Apparently you didn't read about the time warp. The warp logic is already set to be sensible.

I think I might have set apoapsis to 70k... which is when timewarp kicks in. Not sure how your script works with that.

I also can't fix the fact that the Physical warp kicks in if you have focus on the kOS window. The best I can do is close the display before it warps. That would have to be an action group that YOU set up. I can't do it for you.

You misunderstand. I'm just adding to your point about physical warp kicking in when you are focused on the kOS window. My point is that it also happens if KSP.exe itself is out of focus. I know it isn't yours to solve.

Your rocket can't roll fast enough so it's wobbling about. According to Kevin, that should be reduced in the new version that is coming "soon TM." I have no control over that. I think the major problem is coming from force roll on lift off. I have been able to successfully add roll control back in the test version. You will have to set it so that your rocket doesn't roll after take off. I have a few things to do this morning but I'll be back in a few hours and I can post the script with roll control. I bet that solves your take off wobbles. It is trying to roll to 0 right after take off. You just need to tell it not to. Just to be clear. I have no control over the PID for the steering. I can only tell it where to point. Reading Kevin's latest blog post has me pretty assured we wont have to suffer that problem much longer.

Understood.

OK just watched your whole video. That rocket is not stable because it is bottom heavy. It also looks like you have FAR installed. I cannot help with a dynamic pressure problem you have caused yourself. Try reducing the TWR limit until it's stable in lower atmosphere. Next time ask yourself why you think you need all that orange tank and mainsail to launch such a light payload. Look at it driving the steering controls to the limits! How is it supposed to be able to control the rocket if it is at it's limit? Lose that ridiculous lower stage for something about 30 tons lighter.

You guys install all of these things to make flying rockets more real and then you complain to me that it is too real?

Okaaaay. Look, I don't wish to offend you or start an argument, but you have a weirdly abrasive attitude going on and it makes it really difficult to engage with you.

You asked for feedback on a script that aims to launch rockets. So I did. It's not a criticism. It's not me bashing you or your work. It's me gratefully learning for you and (I thought) repaying that with some real world testing/reporting.

When you put something into the public's hands, they will apply it under what are often less than optimal conditions. Nonetheless, I have the same issues with any craft I launch, bottom-heavy or otherwise. They can all be launched manually without incident or brute-forcing. I do not have FAR installed.

I'll leave you to it. Best of luck gathering feedback.

Edited by TMS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.