School, AKA prison.

Deadpangod3

Our education is broken,EVERYTHING IN IT IS BROKEN Today,our math teacher was asking us to say a 2 digit number,with sum of the digits being 8 (I'm first time ever typing something like that in english,forgive me),one of our my classmates said "55",our math teacher thought that he just said the wrong number,but knew the answer,but when she said to him that that would be 10,she asked him if he was sure. He said yes,she asked him if 5+5 is 8,he said yes. When she again asked him if he is sure,he said yes,she then asked him why is 5+5=8,he said because 7 and 3 are the same numbers. I am not kidding. Later,we were learning that Earth has a moon,then we were learning that Jupiter has no rings what so ever. Then,we were "learning" that Uranus is red and yellow,then that Venus is blue/cyan. On the english lesson,we were again "learning" "sit down,write,draw" for a hour. On the computer lesson we were "learning" that a computer has a processor,graphic card and a harddisk. On the Slovak language (my first language),we were learning that we have to write names with capitals along with first letter in a sentence. Then,we were learning that we have plants and rocks,and some thought that rocks were alive (on the biology). I have a nice school full of educated people! And I'm happily in the fifth grade with the greatest minds on the planet!

prison-jail.jpg
We got wired fence (I don't know if I said that right again) because we earlier had to run from bullies during breaks...and we were scared to return. Now MOST of them is in other schools. We also have cameras and security systems,and we cannot go into the second floor until 7:45,even if we arrive much ealrier. We have 6 hours a day minimum,as that image said,"adult language" is sometimes used from the teachers,but mainly gypsies. I once found a dead 4cm insect in my school food. Cannot wait to go to the gymnasium. Almost everyone who is at least a little bit intelligent in our class,has been going to martial arts and such,I too. I'm sorry for my friends which will stay here until 9th grade. All of what I said here is true,you don't believe,you can try being a child here. Also,look at this forum,every adult who I met is on my top friendly people list. Now go check the CZ-SK youtubers,some kid writes something reasonable,or a constructive criticism,a comment with 250 likes emerges and says how stupid that kid is... It's impossibru,something must have gone wrong here,on forums here,it's like paradise,go to the youtube and bam. You are the worst person who ever lived. But that is little bit off topic. Edited by EvilotionCR2
Typos and added something

Being an adult is cool, but there are a lot of things about it that suck badly. A bit like being a kid really. People will always find things to complain about, no matter their situation.
Maybe I'm going crazy,but how can we live in a world so technologically advanced from our ancestors if people are like this? As I said,this seems like a fountain in desert.

Actually the constant pessimism and inclination to displeasure is forcing people to constantly try find out how to make theyr situation better. So basicly discontent is one of the human attribute that we should thank for our advancement the most.

Another great motor of progress is fear. But Discontent plays also a significant role.

So iam taking back what i said about being gratefull before, dont be gratefull! Because maybe your discontent will make you think of something great that will push as all a bit forward.

You offcourse should put more effort to finding ways to improve the situation than to complaining about it. :-)

Okay after seeing the picture and realizing we are talking about america its probably more normal to hate school. I would feel like in prison.

BRB going to a school where everybody can go in and out as he pleases - no fences no guards nothing

Am i scared? No because nothing happens and if something would happen it would probably happen anyhow just in a different way. Also by arguing like that i could just lock myself up in my room for the rest of my life and could life the "most safe" life in the world ...

I mean honestly i walk on the streets daily - which is way more dangerous than beeing victim of probably any a crime

Edited by SpaceHole

Regarding being an adult - I have to say I enjoy it so much more than being in school. I sometimes reflect on this fact and I think it is down to a couple of things. First, I get to choose who I spend my time with. Nearly every single one of my relationships is with people I choose to spend time with. Nobody is forcing me to sit next to someone I hate, nobody is forcing me to go to a place I hate. Sure, work sometimes sucks, but I always know that I can simply get up, offer my thanks, and quit. Then I can just walk out. Not so with school.

Also, the personal freedom is exquisitely delightful. Just being able to do what I want, to go to bed when I want, to go where I want, to buy what I want. It's just so refreshing. Sure, I have a limited budget and limited time, but I get to decide 100% how I use those two resources.

Also, with regard to learning, I get to choose my own curriculum. Whenever I want to know about a subject I can get some books or look on the internet or whatever. When I get tired of it, I stop and move on.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was when I bumped into one of my high school teachers (who was a real jerk to everybody and who we called "the Stahd") and told her off in front of her family at a Chinese restaurant. You get to do things like that when you are an adult.

School sucks, and being an adult is awesome. You have a lot to look forward to if you can get past all the school stuff.

Edited by Dkmdlb
spelling

• 4 weeks later...

I understand where a lot of you are coming from. I'm crazy anxious/depressed and in 7th grade. Suicide probably 3rd most common thought in my head. People say how school isn't hard. It isn't. It overworks and stresses kids who really don't need stress in their lives. Every day I think about bullying and ditching school. I would give anything to live the way I want. The public school system we have is ineffective, wastes money, time, effort, and freedom of children and adults alike. Look up school sucks on Youtube. The video is a bit libertarian, but really makes good points as to the origins of school.

The greatest joke was leaving university, finding employment & realising 85% of my education was a waste of time. Thankfully someone had managed to teach me how to learn and reason in there somewhere.

School taught me how to buck the system; if I was more unscrupulous it would probably have taught me rather more than they expected.

My school in the capital of Latvia:

Everything starts at 8:00

8 lessons every day, each 40 minutes, 10 minute breaks average.

Chemistry and physics and IT are my favs, our physics teacher carries weird stuff into school(old bikes, axes and so on)

We learn Latvian, Russian, English and German.

We have to memorize something every English lesson.

When we have a rating(dummy exam) it is made by the principal, you must find something

in the book e.g., but it won't be there, everyone doesn't get a point.

Coffee or cocoa costs a dollar on the coffee machine.

The toilet almost never has soap.

There are no and have never been any pizzas or French fries in the caffeteria.

You don't get trays in the caffeteria.

The caffeteria is smaller than a big classroom.

There are 800 student in our small school.

There are 7 floors and no elevator, an average school bag weighs 5 kilos.

The school is free, but you pay 50$ a month for extra illegal lessons in the school.

The entrance is 1,2 meters wide.

There are no school buses.

There is 1 whiteboard in the school.

There are only 7 interactive boards.

There is no gym.

No lockers at school or at stadium, the changing rooms aren't even locked so anyone can come and take your stuff(already happened to one of us).

Sports lesson(when warmer than 12°C): take tram with your classmates to stadium, run,jump, exercise.

When colder:tram to pool.

The changing rooms at the stadium are about 5 feet or 1.70 meters high.

There is no shower at the stadium.

That is all, please read this and stop complaining your schools are bad.

Edited by iDan122

Somewhere between school and working life happens something that makes computer games and candy taste sour.

Then everything gets complicated.

I don't know, I'm 32 and I still love both.

For adults saying that school is the best time of your life, please remember this. You have money. You choose what food you eat. You choose what clothes you wear. You choose where you go in your free time. You get the freedom to decide for yourself what's best for you. Children don't get that.

I could do almost all of those as a child too. I got a $20/month allowance till I got a job at 15. I chose what food I ate except the nightly family dinner, the one catch being I had to pick something in our pantry since it had to be something my parents stocked up on. I chose my clothes (within reason) once a year before school started. I could play anywhere in a neighborhood and the number of spider bites, scrapes, and cuts I got proved I got into lots of trouble. As a child, until you hit roughly high school age you really have no place telling your parents you know better than them whats good for you.

I love my life as an adult. I make plenty of money, I have a wonderful fiancee, and I just bought a beautiful house. That said, I am not free to do what I want except for an hour or so a day. Between work, house work, errands, and other things I simply don't have the free time. My money is generally spoken for well in advance of me getting the option to spend it on things I want. I do sometimes miss the freedom of being a kid with no responsibilities, bills, or worries. No other humans relying on me to take care of everything. That said, the sense of happiness I get from having served my country, worked hard for my corporation, and having taken care of my family generally makes all of it completely worth it.

I'm in no way making light of any of the kids commenting in this thread, but I have never had that much free time since I left college. I am aware that school is generally getting a little worse since I graduated high school in 2000.

Edited by air805ronin

That said, I am not free to do what I want except for an hour or so a day.

Ditto. Between work, studies, house work, looking after my two kids I'd say I have about the same. Less some days.

Tbh the golden patch is in between starting work and having kids, that's when you've got lots of disposable income, fewer obligations, lots of free time, and a circle of friends that have the same. My 20's were good times. I'm kind of hoping there will be another good patch in life after retiring...

School is freaking awesome! From 9th grade on, I honestly think it's the best thing that has happened to me. Just a couple years back, when I was on 7th grade, I was bullied (I think I was bullied for about 10 years, from kindergarten all the way to 7th grade) and had very few friends who I could trust. Then **** really hit the fan when my parents divorced and I and my mum and sister had to move to another town.. It felt like the end of the world. I had lost all hope.

But this great misfortune proved to be the chance of a lifetime. A chance to start a new life, completely from scratch. People actually liked me in my new school. It made me realize that maybe, just maybe, there is still hope. As days, weeks and months passed, I gained more and more self-confidence. I became more social and learned to disregard the idiots. For the first time in at least a year, I did well in school.

Then, last summer when I thought things couldn't bet any better, I got a letter from a high school I had applied for, saying that my application had been accepted. The school was in my previous home town, so I and my family moved once again. I started my studies there and got to know many, many more great people. It was at that point that I decided to let go of the past and set my sights on the future.

Sure, there are some annoying students or teachers, things do go wrong sometimes, but after going through such a hell on earth, I just don't care anymore - I'm just happy that I made it through all that and that it made me a much better person. It's difficult to really appreciate school before **** really goes down and school helps you get yourself back together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.