Space Cowboy's Fleet Defender [0.21.1]

Guest Space Cowboy

I had meant to do it but anyway I am gonna re-release this with the two large tanks replaced by empty fuselage. I'll leave the rocket engine and the small rocket tanks, for balance and control. But it will be some kind of hyper maneuverable short range fighter, or an orbit to surface vehicle. I don't know why.

I can see now the link is not working, or rather, Kerbal Forum logic is trashing my link.

Someone has disabled the dialog that assist with posting links, video, and pictures. And by default it is truncating links you post manually and making them unusable / incorrect. Go to the Kerbal Spaceport and search Fleet or Fleet Defender I would suggest.

No I hadn't - is that a mod, or a construction technique? I have been trying to cut the jets prior to flameout though. Always a concern.

Wait a minute. I DID build a Stabo Jet style machine, the 4th and probably final in my small to medium sized delta wing stock SSTO series. I used those long cone thingy's to mount the jets. It's not done.

kdte.png

Edited by Guest

6szc.jpg

Truth is I have been working on these 4 awhile now, without really knowing why. The third one was the first configuration and my favorite, but it doesn't have enough wing area for the job of SSTO. Number 4 I am not in love with either. I am about to walk away from these things and start on my orbiting station parts launchers, and an interplanetary space probe to launch from it. I will be doing a lot of planning. Editing in the hanger without a plan has it's plusses and minuses. I am guessing I may stick with "Fleet Defender" (the second one) and "Easy Glider" for flight to / from the surface later.

Hahaha! the StaboJet thing is catching. I remember the original, a VTOL SSTO rocket-style that must still be around here somewhere. It seems it is getting back in fashion. You lose some thrust (1-cos), so an odd number of jets is still better, but it looks quite good if not.

As to the problems with lift you seem to have in the third one, Cowboy, I would just use a double wing (you know, a biplane and angle the wings so it doesn't look like one, just a single fat wing). You don't even need to put it top and bottom, they could be clipped inside each other or close to it and work just the same, but I find fixing them on the centerline saves another bit of footprint.

"Space Cowboy's" explanation:

I am Space Cowboy on the Spaceport, however, after 3 attempts and 3 new passwords given, and failed, I have for the moment migrated over to my other account, "Mutant Hero". I list the new crafts as "Space Cowboy's", for no other reason than to associate them with my original avatar.

Boring/ as things are progressing I have found that I want to be a Kerbal puritan and for the moment, go stock only. This happened to occur at the same time as my inability to access my Space Cowboy account, which happens to be very mod heavy. For the time being, the Mutant Hero crafts will be stock only. /boring

As to the problems with lift you seem to have in the third one, Cowboy, I would just use a double wing (you know, a biplane and angle the wings so it doesn't look like one, just a single fat wing). .

Would you believe there are 4 wings embedded in it right now? Sorry - I kind of set you up on that by not saying so in the first place. I had terrible CG / CL and CG empty / CG full issues, which this was used as a partial solution. Also, the craft is weighted in front with numerous stacked 1x1 plates aft of the command module.

I still plan to fiddle with it a little more, because I never resolved the CG empty = CG full - so I have not given it a fair shake. I burn out and get frustrated, but then I come back lol.

If you notice the 4th one, it is almost the same as the third, but the wing area, for whatever reason, whatever Kerbal logic, did indeed perform adequately, except its CG (or COM if you like) and CL (COL) when empty are terrible.

Edited by Guest

Extensive blah blah blah/ when it comes down to it, for my purpose of servicing the station with an air to ground vehicle, all 4 of these do exactly the same thing! 1 person up and or down! They all just keep getting bigger and bigger No real purpose. / extensive blah blah blah

it's ok I guess. Can be made smaller. Also if it's a space fighter, TWR is the most important thing since in space you can only change directions by using thrust. Therefore, you should make it as light and as powerful as possible. I mean sure it'll be cool if you can have a fighter that can go to duna under it's own power but why would a fighter ever need that? You should have a carrier to bring the fighter where you need it.

Other than that yeah, it looks sleek enough mmhm. Might want to add some real weapons like lances or forward pointing kethane drills / augers. Remember kids, missiles are for pussies, and sunbeam is not as satisfying.

As for making service crafts, Rune has a lot in his thread. I have some kerbal carriers too.

Edited by littlebattler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.