suggestionish thing ( ksp companion app)

briansun1

The idea sound great and I actually like it a lot, but it seems it would have quite a bit of flaws. Such as how would mods be handled? Would it just be only stock? How would your crafts be transported to your VAB? What if you have the craft open on the PC and on the app? It still sounds plausible though.

I've seen this suggested at least once before. Not too long ago, either. I think there was a discussion about it a few months ago as to how they might go about making it...I kind of thought they could make a simple 2D KSP app or something, but most people seemed to want just the vehicle assembly building on a phone or tablet to take with them.

Some people thought it was a terrible idea, but a lot of people liked the idea. I'm on the fence about it...simply 'cause it wouldn't benefit me at all(no smartphone or tablet here). But if there's demand, I see no reason why they couldn't make something like that.

I dont think that a "mobile VAB" would need much less resources then the full game, at least when it comes to RAM, especially when mods are included.

But I am John Snow regarding the real capabilities of todays smartphones - which are the only thing we would need to talk about, I dont see the need for a smaller app for building only when using an notebook.

It would be easy enough to pull off, but as RocketTurtle said building would be....different.

For a start, you'd need actual buttons for going up and down the VAB, as well as zoom buttons, rotate buttons, spin buttons, etc. I'm sure all of these could be placed next to the current 'symmetry and amount' buttons, but already you're taking about 50% of the ease of building out of the game. You'd also need a 'select/move all' button, to serve as Shift+Left click (unless you want to find the first part you put down and grab that EVERY. SINGLE. TIME)

Then you'd need to code in a function that when plugged in, the tablet is going to interact with the PC, work out where the KSP folder is stored, work out what savegame you want it in, then upload the .craft files.

Alternatively, you'd need to code the game itself to search for any plugged in devices on load and give the option to display your designs when in the VAB or SPH.

tl;dr: It's possible, but not exactly a walk in the park to implement.

EDIT: To be honest, if you've gone all the way to make the SPH and VAB inputs touchphone friendly, you may as well go all out and make the entire game's inputs touchphone friendly.

Edited by Toastie_Buns

EDIT: To be honest, if you've gone all the way to make the SPH and VAB inputs touchphone friendly, you may as well go all out and make the entire game's inputs touchphone friendly.

For the love of all that is holy, please no. I don't need more of my screen taken up by useless GUI elements.

It can already be played on a laptop so the real question would be for tablets and phones. I have enough trouble seeing all the tiny things on a phone as it is. I can't imagine trying to create a craft with a few hundred parts. I have both a 10in tablet and a 7in but I can't see easily creating a large craft on those. Maybe the 10in one would be fine. Anyone with a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet should already be able to do this as the pro version runs the same OS as the laptops and desk tops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.