Any tips to docking in Kerbol-orbit?

@lukaszett

I try it, I know. You try it you know. It is impossible to get closer!!! "They" don't try it "they" don't know. The game and the scale size calculation can't work out.

excuse me but no. I've docked two ships in Kerbol orbit. One had burned all fuel escaping after nearly being captured by Eve and the other was a rescue ship. Wasnt that hard.

Ok. My opinion? It's hard without a mod. Why? The mode editor AND the projected trajectory bounce like mad. Making navigation very hard. Modded dials/displays do this much less or not at all. So with those, it's much easier. (I did it with MechJeb ONLY for dials, not for automation and will upload a tutorial on it on request).

PS, here is me docking: http://youtu.be/f1d5gA4JuO0

Edited by Technical Ben

its and interplanetary docking? bro this is almost impossible dont try it, seroisoly you will have to wait to the ships to catch up just to rendezvous, and in interplanetary orbits it will take years! possible but really difficult you will need to be a really skilled pilot

bro this is almost impossible dont try it

Telling that to someone who has already done it is a bit funny.

Sorry but it's not that hard. Yes, there are some obstacles with the precision with which you can plan your maneuvers. You can't do it in single maneuver, you need to do a few corrections. Apart of that it's not any harder than docking on planetary orbits.

Telling that to someone who has already done it is a bit funny.Sorry but it's not that hard. Yes, there are some obstacles with the precision with which you can plan your maneuvers. You can't do it in single maneuver, you need to do a few corrections. Apart of that it's not any harder than docking on planetary orbits.

• Aye. Back in the 0.18 era, I wound up flying a mission to rendezvous with an asteroid in solar orbit tp get a handle on how difficult it was going to be before posting a challenge about it.The Google+ Post I eventually made about that flight is here: https://plus.google.com/117586430260877805957/posts/Ads2aY1C9sF
  • That flight taught me a lot about how to use my engines to push the relative velocity indicator around on the navball, but the really nice thing about maneuvering to rendezvous with an object in solar orbit is that when you have a near interception with your target, and are close to it, bot you and your target are moving in effectively moving in straight lines over time periods of days or even weeks in some cases. so when you burn to push your target-relative velocity atop the target-direction indicator, it tends to stay there for quite some time.
  • In some ways, it's easier than hunting down planets, because with spacecraft in solar orbit, you can get target-relative velocity information when hunting that close intercept, whereas the game won't give you relative velocity on a planet from outside its SOI.

Edited by maltesh

@Technical Ben Rendezvous, not docking.

@lukaszett Still not believing in you. Sorry about that. Remember it is Rendezvous to meet other ship/station. Not the docking part.

@thunderstarTotally agree with you.

@Kasuha Talk? where is the proof?

@lukaszett Yes. That indicate that you really had try it.

@maltesh You got some point.[over time periods of days or even weeks]

Sirine, I'd like to point out that point-blank accusing other people of being liars does not help the OP answer their question or make you look like a particularly reasonable individual. These people aren't under any obligation to prove anything, whether to you or anyone else.

Don't dismiss something as impossible until you've tried it yourself.

when you have a near interception with your target, and are close to it, bot you and your target are moving in effectively moving in straight lines over time periods of days or even weeks in some cases. so when you burn to push your target-relative velocity atop the target-direction indicator, it tends to stay there for quite some time.

That's strange. I did not experience that. Yes, I had problems when I was still something like quarter of the orbit away from the interception. But not when I got close. Of course that depends on what you call close.

It's true that I have experimented on a relatively small orbit - between Moho and Eve. That might have affected it.

And my two orbits were not quite intersecting, they were more like touching. So at the shortest distance the two ships were flying almost parallel.

• 2 weeks later...

Docking is going to be the easy part, the hard part is trying to get interplanetary orbits lined up for a close encounter, I would strongly advise multiple burns, and be prepared to be moving toward your target at several hundred meters per second, if not significantly more.

Obviously, make sure the ships can dock easily before you spend the time to get to an interplanetary intercept.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.