Kerbin Real-Estate - Procedural Cities

rbray89

Hi all,

I'm in the process of a mod that will create numerous cities around Kerbin.

Update!:

Added/Adding Lighting mechanism...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Added new texture system, but I will be re-developing it as it wasn't very well thought out.

ShPDahM.jpg

xTJOEoQ.jpg

I fixed the colider: the Game object layer must be 17 to work with kerbals.

I change the hight calculator to be based off the size of the building footprint. Still a bit on the tall side I think.

99TjZM8.png

tzvwYZ0.jpg

Next up: Textures and emissive materials for night time!

It is KerbTown independent, and should be pretty speedy, with lots of interesting geometries and such.

However! I am a programmer, not a modeling artist, and I barely whipped out the textures in GIMP. If anyone has sources of or good textures for roofs, windows, vents, building objects, etc, PLEASE post some links here.

Edited by rbray89

The most awesome city generator is from Introversion.

They started to make a game but they lost focus and could not make a real game.

But the city generation is awesome and inspiring.

If we could get something like this for KSP everyone could setup his own citys on planets and muns, with an interplanetary airport to bring the resource to build it..

The most awesome city generator is from Introversion.

They started to make a game but they lost focus and could not make a real game.

But the city generation is awesome and inspiring.

If we could get something like this for KSP everyone could setup his own citys on planets and muns, with an interplanetary airport to bring the resource to build it..

I saw that, and I also saw the Kerbin City community project, and that is actually what prompted me to work on this. I hope to have something similar by the time I am done.

Interesting. May I suggest that your procedural city generator also account for outlying suburbs, farms, industrial districts etc? While the Introversion tech demo (which I presume is what you're aiming for) does a nice job of generating high rise buildings and semi-realistic roads, real-life cities aren't 100% skyscrapers or business buildings.

However! I am a programmer, not a modeling artist, and I barely whipped out the textures in GIMP. If anyone has sources of or good textures for roofs, windows, vents, building objects, etc, PLEASE post some links here.

Try this site, I used to use it when I was making paper models of buildings in Gimp.

You have to register to get larger textures, but the basic membership is free.

http://www.cgtextures.com/

Edited by Tommygun

Interesting. May I suggest that your procedural city generator also account for outlying suburbs, farms, industrial districts etc? While the Introversion tech demo (which I presume is what you're aiming for) does a nice job of generating high rise buildings and semi-realistic roads, real-life cities aren't 100% skyscrapers or business buildings.

Yeah, the plan was to add additional non-procedural models/sprites to roads (traffic lights, trash bins, bus stops, etc) along with empty lots, construction lots, parking lots, parks, etc.

I have some ideas about generating suburbs/farms, but nothing concrete at the moment.

Looking good so far! Would be awesome to see buildings other than skyscrapers though (I think this has been mentioned already), and also actual roads and stuff between the buildings would be really neat.

Also, ever consider having it generate like doors on the buildings (Just for show of course), or AC units on the roof?

Looking good so far! Would be awesome to see buildings other than skyscrapers though (I think this has been mentioned already), and also actual roads and stuff between the buildings would be really neat.

Also, ever consider having it generate like doors on the buildings (Just for show of course), or AC units on the roof?

Yeah, these items will be coming. I want to generate other types of buildings and enhance the current appearance of the "office block" style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First, let me say that I like this, I like this. Very nice work.

I do have a suggestion to make, and a possible solution to go with it :D Right now, most, or all, of the city adding mods I have seen have made dense, square sections of city. Perfect if they are a part of the city, but not if they are the population center. There would be outlying areas, less population and building-dense areas, etc. What I would offer as a possible solution, if you are using random number generation to determine the height (influenced by the surrounding area, distance from center, etc) would be to add a value for an empty plot of land, or a park, or... you get the idea :D So in the center of the city, there would be no chance of this item coming up, but as you move further and further away from city center, the likelihood of single-family homes with larger yards, city parks, fields, etc, becomes more and more possible.

Also one other idea, as you mentioned the idea of farms and "support" stuff outside of a city. Perhaps a flag for "Population Center Type". A couple example possibilities could be "Urban City" "Rural Town" "Support Industries". So the Urban city gets you your massive skyscrapers, the rural town gets you a few houses with large fields, and support industries could make power stations, factories, etc, etc.

Again, please dont confuse the suggestions for a "I dont like this" statement. Quite the opposite! Keep up the great work!

• 4 weeks later...
The thing i didn't like about kerbtown is that nobody ever released anything for it, but i am happy to see this being in the works. Looking awesome man. Though, i have downloaded this before, but am unable to find the the page where i downloaded it. Has it been taken down or something?

No, I never got around to creating a release. I started work on another mod first. I'll come back to this if I can figure out a way to create it without melting computers. The mod I'm working on is in my sig.

No, I never got around to creating a release. I started work on another mod first. I'll come back to this if I can figure out a way to create it without melting computers. The mod I'm working on is in my sig.

Huh, interesting. Coulda sworn i downloaded it.(and yes i do love your clouds and city lights mod.)

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.