Shooting for the stars...with SRBs...

Robo336

With the 0.13 update, insane pyramid designs run like a dream.

So I decided to make something rather kerbal to celebrate the event:

The Smokestack!

screenshot3nn.png

The ship in all it\'s physics defying glory!

screenshot1ef.png

Escape velocity using SRBs.

screenshot2dw.png

If your aim is better than mine you could theoretically hit the mun with this piece.

To begin with, I was trying to get to orbit using only SRBs. The Smokestack can do that, but it ends up rather eccentric (Pe~30km, Ap~8000km). So while it\'s possible, it\'s clearly not very efficient (but when did the kerbals ever care about such trivialities ::))

Unless, of course, you use all but one or two ignitions getting the altitude necessary.

You are quite right. All but the last stage is needed to get to the right altitude.

Adding another stage won\'t help much, as it would only carry the rest of the dead-weight rocket a few hundred meters up.

Of course, I could make the additional stage wider, but then the contraption would start looking more like a pyramid than a rocket ???

And while I have nothing against insane pyramid-shaped rockets, it\'s not the purpose of this creation.

If you shoot for a direct ascent, maybe an ASAS module could make it go straight.

You are welcome to add an ASAS to the top and give it a go.

I would love to see some screens if you hit the mun :D

And while I have nothing against insane pyramid-shaped rockets

Neither did the Russians ;)

Well, some of them. Unfortunately, because of those who couldn\'t see its Kerbal magnificence, this one never flew...

Oh, and it used crossfeed fuel pipes and drop tanks, and was intended (also) for a direct-ascent Lunar mission. Totally 0.13 compliant.

Neither did the Russians ;)

Well, some of them. Unfortunately, because of those who couldn\'t see its Kerbal magnificence, this one never flew...

Oh, and it used crossfeed fuel pipes and drop tanks, and was intended (also) for a direct-ascent Lunar mission. Totally 0.13 compliant.

Too bad there was only room for one moon rocket in the space race. Would have been nice/fun if they had continued, building bases up there and such. But the money-men weren\'t with them, so it all kind of stopped at sattelite building. Oh well... let\'s see what the future will bring :)

This SRB rocket won\'t make escape velocity, but it will make orbit fairly easily. And it\'s very, very tall.

It doesn\'t really get a lot wider at the bottom, just more SRB\'s jammed into the same space :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.