Things you can do in KSP that no real space program would be stupid enough to try . .

Johno

"We're oscillating, we're about to break up!"

"Fire the launch escape system!"

"The what!?"

"...um. okay, remain calm. I'm going to pop the first stage early, see if it'll settle us out."

"And essentially send an uncontrolled missile to wherever it may land..."

"Correct. Engaging second stage."

"It worked! We're stable again!"

"Whew. Okay, approaching apoapsis, prepare for orbital insertion burn."

I made a huge rover with a skycrane and an ascent stage above it (the smallest manned pod & small fuel tank & 4 engines). I did not remove the skycrane and just started riding. It rode a lot, then tipped over. I tred to turn it back with landing legs & pumping the fuel back and forth, to no success. I just decoupled the crane and the ascent stage in it and used the stage (which could stand inclined in the air with SAS turned on) to push the rover. Had to chase it 3 km with EVA pack after that, but finally everything was ok. What made me mad and why I deleted the entire game folder was that it crashed again because kbd keys stopped working at some point.

Having external tanks that make my rocket look like a particular part of the male anatomy.

spherical tanks, stock orange tanks, and a stock nosecone, I actually have a pic...not gonna post it tho since it would be a bit inapropiate.

We're going to Jool.

We're not entirely sure what we're going to do when we get there, we did the calculations for our fuel budget in our head.

We're definitely going to land somewhere though, and we might even make it back home assuming the information on wikipedia is correct.

Doing a direct-to-Laythe aerocapture at OVER 9000 m/s. Yes. I just did this. It was the result of a massive unplanned gravity assist from the Mun (in addition to a full ejection burn) followed by another Jool assist. I got there *100 days* before the other ships I sent.

Let some kids build a monster two stage pancake rocket from 1.25meter x6 meter fuel tanks with matching engines that not only held together, it escape the Kerbal solar system at over 5000m/sec as it flew past Eeloo orbit 120 kerbal days later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.