Project Omicron

Giggleplex777

Previous progress pics:

The Propulsion stage was sent up first. I used a crude Munshine-like rocket to put it into 75km orbit.

Okay, I admit it, it actually took two tries to get it to orbit, as the first rocket didn't have enough fuel. :/

CcZIySq.png

Here as you can see, the cargo block had been docked to the propulsion module. It was a pain in the butt to do it, because I forgot to attach a RCS tug to it. Lucky, the PM had RCS, albeit they were a little weak.

The large space in the middle is for storing cargo or extra fuel.

h8XPzS0.jpg

The habitat module has been attached and the ship is awaiting its first crew.

X4ty446.jpg

It should have about 4200 m/s of dv with a 8 ton CEV and 20 ton payload.

The mockup:

FYMQ6DH.jpg

I assembled this early mockup with Hack Gravity. If you compare this to the actual ship, you should see the changes I made to it.

Edited by Giggleplex777

This is a most interesting way to create a cargo bay/"slot" - so you extended I-Beams across the gap and reinforced it with some struts - I wonder if Docking or Quantum Struts could have been used ... just for techy tech?

Maybe I should go and try to weld some of the different Beams into one long part, could well be this has given me the idea I needed for my own design to come true!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.