upgrading your Tracking station!!

i have this great idea in career mod were you can upgrade your tracking station,but now your gonna ask me whats the point of that ? :huh:,well when you begin the game you well start with this really crappy satellite like scientists in real life when you press on the tracking station your view changes to the tracking station view and not in space,you can zoom in,look at the moon,and after you do that,you get SCIENCE!!! :sticktongue:,but your gonna ask me another Q,then whats the point of upgrading,well you can't see other planets,moons from this crappy tracking station so you upgrade it so you can see other planets and get more science,i hope the dev reads this :D,cause i really want this in the game :(,cause it's a really great idea..........and i was thinking about all the day,yes i don't have a life :blush:.thanks for reading this !!!

Edited by softweir
Helping user fix his post!

i have this great idea in career mod were you can upgrade your satellite,but now your gonna ask me whats the point of that ? :huh:,well when you begin the game you well start with this really crappy satellite like scientists in real life when you press on the satellite your view changes to the satellite view and not in space,you can zoom in,look at the moon,and after you do that,you get SCIENCE!!! :sticktongue:,but your gonna ask me another Q,then whats the point of upgrading,well you can't see other planets,moons from this crappy satellite so you upgrade it so you can see other planets and get more science,i hope the dev reads this :D,cause i really want this in the game :(,cause it's a really great idea..........and i was thinking about all the day,yes i don't have a life :blush:.thanks for reading this !!!

I like this idea, it would be good if you needed to EVA a kerbal there to install the upgrade as well. Sort of like the repairs done on the Hubble Space Telescope with STS-61.

I like this idea, it would be good if you needed to EVA a kerbal there to install the upgrade as well. Sort of like the repairs done on the Hubble Space Telescope with STS-61.

well it sounds awsome,but currently there's no way to just let a kerbal pop up and move him to there,it would be awsome if you can spawn a kerbal at the science place :)

well ya i know what your talking about,but it's kind of annoying and takes a long time for loading,and for the kerbal to reach there :\

I dont find it really annoying (Mostly because i like the orbital rendezvous tasks), and for the loading problems it doesnt matter anyway because its supposed to be waited before launching a upgrade Space Craft also kerbals apparently dont care how much a mission can take so they can do almost anything (Or maybe they really can do anything).

You can get to a target in orbit really fast if you launch your rocket at 45º degrees before its over the KSC (This is supposed to work on equatorial orbits).

Edited by Zaryulenko

this would be nice as i want more EVA activities but how about like upgrading solar panel size and/or have there shape changed as a start or even have like this giant hard drive or flash drive sticking out the side that the kerbal will have to retrieve for data and points.

Edit: when i mean by having the shape changed for solar panels i mean like changing a 2x3 to a 1x6 or remove and add casings and by changing size i mean like upgrading from 2x3 and 1x6 solar panels to gigantor solar panels as a start.

Edited by Helix935

going eve for upgrading the satellite is really....meh,i mean if you think about it why would you want an astronaut to go with a space suit on and go to upgrade the satellite,i'm thinking about making the upgrades when viewing the base,you click on the satellite options would pop up and choose the upgrade it depends on how much money and science you have,i'm going to try to make this simpler to people understand what i'm doing here,when you first begin the game your gonna start with a crappy satellite that can only see the moon,and not like now,i want to see space from earth and not a camera floating around space that would make it more realistic,and not only that the satellite you begin with can only see the moon but it's black and white and with very bad quality when taking pictures of space,so by upgrading the satellite you can zoom more,and see with a better quality,take pictures so you can get science!! but of course you're going to only take a little amount of science,if you wanna take more your going to have to go there

yeah but considering the state of which using EVA is now because all you can do is fix stuff and plant flags it would be a good start to be able to upgrade satellites but it would nice to be able to do that too but it requires a specific slightly high cost part to perform and would really only upgrade software like efficiency of gaining science or money.

well,using money and science is a better choice for upgrading a satellite,first you need science so you can research the upgrade,then after you do,you have to have money to you can build it,and it's all performed when looking at the base,cause going eve to the satellite is a really cheap way just to make people think that there is a lot of things you can do in eve

Sorry if I misunderstand, but I don't think that you should just be able to upgrade if from the space center. If you're talking physical upgrades you should just have to go out there, imo the point of it would be that although harder it would be much cheaper to have a manned mission rendezvous with a few satellites then to send up an array of new ones.

i agree with that because the only upgrades you should be able to do from KSC should be just like software upgrades like efficiency or power usage

yes,going eve is waste of time now(until new updates comes out)but making the kerbal going eve to the satellite isn't an option,you see making kerbals go to upgrade the satellite is,cheap,waste of time,and waaaay too long we already have long missons,it would be awesome to have a kerbal scientist to upgrade the satellite,but it's like really booring and not creative,doing that is like saying WE DON'T HAVE ANY IDEAS ABOUT EVE SO WE JUST DID THAT SO WE CAN MAKE YOU HAPPY and then just throw it to the customer's face

You're forgetting that we knew about Mars far, FAR before the space age. I'm not sure about the planets farther out, such as the gas giants and Pluto.

The inner planets were all known for thousands of years, and even Pluto and the larger moons were known before Sputnik 1. The smaller moons were a different story, and we're still finding them. In fact, the rate of discovery had been accelerating, I'm assuming as either a matter of us using more advanced technology or as a result of our attempts to map more asteroids and such, though thinks look like they're slowing down, probably because at this point I think most of the things we're discovering are too small to consider moons. Wikipedia has a writeup on the discovery timeline.

That said, that was only an example. Until we see more about the science parts, how they work, and how they change due to the tech tree, I'm not sure we're in a position to really make suggestions like this. I'd like to see more types of missions, but some mission types may not fit into the game well.

EDIT: fixed URL, I was apparently still thinking in terms of xterm where you don't have to hit ctrl-c to copy when I did that.

Edited by Eric S

By satellite do you mean the thing at the space centre?

That's more like a tracking station or observatory, but I kind of get your point, it would be more of a challenge if you didn't know anything about other planets and moons. Like, if you could work out the position of Jool with your basic telescope, but not its size, or atmosphere. You could invest science points in your observatory, so you could see it a bit better, and maybe work out a maximum and minimum size for it's SOI to aim at. Or you could just go full Jeb and fire a probe in its general direction with gravity sensors and cameras attached, and hope for the best.

This would be great with a fully working arm controled IVA like in the sguttle has to grab hold of and stablize the sat before you EVA to fix/upgrade which could also be helped by use of a second arm. I belive this is what they do to cut down on the effort of EVA manovers.

I was initially apprehensive of this suggestion, but now that the title has been edited, I'm a bit more interested.

In addition to upgrading the existing tracking station, I'd like to see the ability to specify additional tracking station locations on Kerbin, in order to establish a Deep Space Network-like analogue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.