Will 0.22 give the same aerodynamic model for both VAB and SPH?

praise the suuun

when i was watching the latest 0.22 video, the developer discussed saving a space plane in sub assembly and bringing it up in the VAB. my concern is that they have not fixed the lift models in these separate hangars! before 0.22 VAB designs always had a lift marker pointing forward no matter what. SAB designs had a more flexible lift model that would change dynamically based on airfoil placement. if they havent given the same lift model to both hangars then this subassembly addition is doomed before it has begun. on a side not i havent been *edit* playing since 0.21 hit the scene so i might have missed some ninja bug fix.

Edited by praise the suuun

No, the flight model for rockets and planes are the same. The only reason that the lift markers are different is that the VAB assumes you launch straight upwards, while the SPH assumes you fly towards the horizon. Lifting surfaces don't cause any lift while going straight up in KSP, so you don't have to worry about your rocket spinning around in flight.

You can already move spaceplane from the SPH to the VAB if you want to make shuttles. You just have to move the .craft file across and then edit it so it opens with the VAB.

All the flight surfaces work correctly after I detatch the shuttle from the launch stage. Presumably they provide a lot of stability during the launch as well, when it's "flying" vertically with the help of mainsails.

Considering they're just 'vehicles' when they leave the hangar/building, I'd assume they already kinda do in practice.

This. A vehicle is a vehicle, parts are parts. It doesn't matter where they're built. It's just that the VAB makes it easier to build taller structures, typically associated with rockets, and the SPH makes it easier to design long or wide structures, like spaceplanes. Really, all the building does in the end is determine whether you launch from the pad or the runway, which obviously, depending on your craft's design, matters.

Regarding what building I launch from, it doesn't really for me.

Soon enough I'll be testing a probe glider for scouting out Eve, and it'll be the first time I'm building an honest-to-God flying machine rather than a spacecraft or rocket because I far prefer the latter over the former.

In almost any case, I wouldn't need the SPH if the VAB had the option of turning Symmetry from Radial to Longitudal.

You can also rotate the craft horizontally with the qweasd keys, if you want to build a space plane in the VAB. Just make sure to point it back up for launch.

It's too bad the VAB doesn't have symmetry mode. It would be nice to have a combination of the two modes as well where you could add more than one part to each side but still keep it symmetrical. Like if you wanted to build an x-wing (for example) you'd only have to place one wing and the other three would be perfectly spaced out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.