Modular Base Creation Kit

Temstar

Modular Base Creation Kit

First, let’s have some pictures to fire up the imagination.

Permanent Mun Settlement – Von Braun City

ncxoyh.jpg

Strategic Kethane Reserve and Refining Complex – Glushko Refinery

20aea1k.jpg

Kethane Extraction Outpost – “Genesis†Gas Field

51bp13.jpg

As you can probably tell, these bases are not “single launch†one piece deals. There is nothing wrong with setting up a small outpost with a single launch, but just as with one piece monolithic space stations there are some serious limitations on the capabilities of such a base given that it has to fit a launch vehicle. To be a truly spacefaring civilisation one need to capability to build permanent structures on other worlds that are expandable. Instead of a single launch you should be able to add capability to a base by adding more and more modules to it, just as you would when building large space stations.

Of course docking is easy in zero G, but a lot more complicated on the surface. Through much trial and error I’ve worked out a method to construct modular bases. If you are interested in the theory work behind the creation of this kit and/or want to know how to design your own modules compatible with this system you can read about it here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48876-The-art-of-modular-base-building

How do I use the kit?

Right, each module that comes in this modular construction kit is already equipped with its own Mun-capable launch vehicle, going to Minmus should be no problem as well since delta-V requirement is about the same. If you want to setup interplanetary bases then you may need to rework the launch vehicle to fit the delta-V budget. Each module is equipped with some kind of landing system and the description of the module will tell you how much work the launch vehicle is supposed to do. There are three strategies I use to go to the Mun to ensure compliance to the Clean Space Act.

1. Launch Vehicle responsible for launch to LKO: the booster rocket will launch the module to a 75km x 75km orbit. Then it will separate from the payload and deorbit. The payload will use its own propulsion to burn for the Mun and then land
  2. Launch Vehicle responsible for trans-munar-injection: the booster rocket will launch the module to LKO parking orbit, then fire again to send the module on its way to Mun SOI. Once this TMI burn is complete the booster will separate and adjust using RCS so that it crashes onto the surface of the Mun. The module will brake into Mun orbit and then land
  3. Launch Vehicle responsible for Mun-deorbit: the booster rocket will be responsible for placing the payload into Low Mun Orbit. Then it will fire its engines for the last time to start the deorbit burn and separate from the module to crash on the surface of the Mun. The module will complete the powered descent.

Assuming you already have the basics of going to the Mun and pin point landing down, flying a module down to the base is not all that complicated. Take for example this module:

dww1z6.jpg

Here we are sending a module called “Tanker Rover Docking Bay†to Glushko Refinery. The docking bay allows tanker rovers carrying fuel or kethane to dock with the refinery. Now if you look under the description for this module below you can see its rocket is designed for TMI. Hence the core stage of the booster rocket is responsible for placing the payload in LKO parking orbit first before igniting for a second time here for trans-munar-injection.

Once TMI is complete cut the rocket stage loose and use its RCS system to make some small adjustment to its velocity. For a prograde Mun orbit insertion a small amount of additional prograde velocity should make the rocket stage crash onto the Mun ahead of the payload which will go around.

2h6ysy8.jpg

24dius5.jpg

Right, base assembly is going to require you having mastered pin point landing. Fortunately these modules usually have a lot of spare delta-V so you have plenty of time hovering and get the landing right. Don’t worry too much about getting it spot on, as long as it’s within say 2km of the base it’s good enough. Once it’s down on the surface we’ll go about moving it…

2mxrfoj.jpg

Now that the docking bay is down on the surface, we can move it around with this:

16k9imf.jpg

I’ve imaginatively named this rover “Base Crawlerâ€Â. All the modular base parts have a bottom facing docking port and this rover has an upward facing one designed for docking with them. To get the cover underneath, first decouple the bottom rocket engine via the decouple option on the docking port. Then drive the rover underneath and ram the rocket engine out of the way. Once you’re under the module you will feel the magnetic attraction pulling on your rover. Commonly this shows as a rocking motion that pulls and pushes your rover back and forth. Counter this motion using your motor and eventually the rover will settle down dead centre underneath the module. At this point switch to the module and hit G to retract the landing legs and the module will sit down right on top of the rover and merge with it.

2usa79h.jpg

So here we have the new docking bay sitting on top of our Base Crawler, now it’s time to get rid of all the rocket bits. Most of these modular base parts have a landing system that can be jettisoned once the piece is safely on top of the crawler. Most of the time this part contains the only probe core on the module so do not jettison the landing system until the module is safely on top of the crawler or else you won’t be able to retract the landing legs!

Anyway in this case the landing equipment with the RCS systems and NTR and so on have a small SRB powered separation, so hit staging and it will shoot off, you may want to switch to this part and use the RCS to tilt it so it doesn’t fall straight back down.

xfd9qc.jpg

So now we’re ready to deliver the module to the base. Each modular piece will have at least one horizontally aligned docking port that will be exactly level with all the other modular pieces when the landing leg is deployed. So what you would do is simply drive the rover around so that this docking port is brushing against an available docking port on the base. Now there’s a problem here - if your module is heavy it will squash down on the rover's suspension and make the docking port lower by a bit. Add to this the little drop you get when you drop the module onto the rover and you'll usually end up a situation where the docking port on the piece you're trying to dock is lower than the available docking port on the base. Fortunately there is a simple way to get around this:

24zd64x.jpg

What you do is park your module right up against the docking port, switch to the base and raise the landing struts on the structures (usually that means legs on base truss) closest to your new module. This causes that section to droop down a bit due to gravity. And during its downward travel if it goes low enough it will find the docking port on your new module and it will become attached. Then it's a simple matter of deploying all legs and undock the Base Crawler.

2ns9vll.jpg

And there we have it, the new rover docking bay delivered to our refinery.

Note that for these modular base components I’ve used various members of the Zenith rocket family, attached to payload using Subassembly Manager. You may find these two resources useful if you need to take the rocket and payload apart and put them back together again if building interplanetary bases.

Edited by Temstar

Grab all the craft files here in one go:

http://www./download/ff51vhul1uh2l7k/Modular_Base_Kit.zip

Section 1: Base building basics

Base Crawler

sb5zxk.jpg

The essential tool of modular base construction. This rover is designed to drive underneath compatible base modules and truss pieces and use its upward facing docking port to mate with the piece so that it can then be driven to its final position. Use translation mode to drive and turn on SAS for additional stability for modules with high CoM, particularly if cornering. Note that I find cornering easier if you disable steering on the centre pair of wheels.

Note that this craft file is a SPH file

Base Truss Pack

1zyrtd.jpg

From left to right:

Straight Truss, Long Truss, T-Truss, X-Truss

Long X-Truss, Eight Way Truss, E-Truss, Y-Truss with Tower

The pressurised truss form the framework and backbone of a modular base. It's not much of a base you simply have a scattering of buildings across the landscape and the inhabitants have to spend four hours putting on an EVA suit just to pop next door for poker night. It's the fact that from a few simple truss sections you could form infinitely expanding patterns to attach modules that allows construction of a singular base made up of connected modules.

The Y-Truss is a bit different. It's size and weight (what being able to house 3 kerbals and all) means it comes with it's own Launch Vehicle and landing package, allowing it to fly to the site of the base by itself and be used as the first centre section of a base to be put down. The Y-Truss launch vehicle is responsible for up to Powered Descent Initiate. For the other truss sections see below on delivery method.

Base Truss Transporter

snm3o8.jpg

This automated Mun lander is designed to carry four truss pieces to the Mun. You will find two examples of the truss transporters with trusses already loaded. To load your own, get rid of all the trusses and then load the ones you need for your own base. Then you are able to attach Base Crawler(s) to the truss pieces to also be carried along to your new base:

255nkm9.jpg

Launch Vehicle role: trans-munar injection

Section 2: Power, Habitation and Communication

These modules provide basic functionalities required for a manned base.

Tower of Power

et9kzp.jpg

Solar power station for modular base construction, mounts a pair of Giganator panels on an elevated platform to keep out of the way of the best of the buildings around the base. Also contains a single radioisotopic thermoelectric generator as well as 2.5m large battery for night time backup power.

Launch Vehicle role: placing payload in LKO

Habitation Module

mmznk0.jpg

Modular base habitation module with capacity for five kerbals. Complete with sunroof and easy EVA access.

Launch Vehicle role: powered descent initiate, payload will land under its own power

Base Radio Mast

sor02p.jpg

Radio mast with low and medium gain antenna for modular base construction, allows radio communication over medium range. If an ionosphere is present radio communication range may be boosted enormously by atmospheric refraction.

Base Tracking Station

2m3msg0.jpg

Modular radio communication facility equipped with high gain antenna, sensitive receivers and powerful transmitter, designed for deep space communication over very long distances.

Section 3: Resources

These modules provide propellant storage and handling functionality for bases

Base Bipropellant Tank

izm988.jpg

Simple 6400L bipropellant fuel tank for modular base construction.

Launch Vehicle role: suborbital trajectory - since the payload is full of fuel and has almost 9.5km/s of delta-V, the payload itself will be responsible for climbing to orbit, TMI and landing.

Base Monopropellant Tank

2qn2rzc.jpg

3000L monopropellant fuel tank for modular base construction.

Tanker Rover Docking Bay

iwowzs.jpg

Modular base component designed for docking with up to three compatible tanker rovers. Contains one horizontal docking bay and two top docking bays. To deflect the docking ports downwards to mate with heavily loaded rovers put this docking bay at the end of long truss sections and then raise their landing legs so that the docking bay droops downwards due to gravity.

Fuel Tanker Rover

kairti.jpg

Mixed propellant tanker rover designed for transportation of fuel between surface bases.

Note: using up fuel in the rover will cause CoM issues as the landing stage is designed to land the rover full or nearly fully fuelled. To ensure landing stage does not use rover fuel switch off the fuel flow from the rover's main tank. The landing stage does not have enough delta-V for TMI and landing without refuelling, so it's recommend that you either hang onto the final stage of the booster rocket and refuel in LKO so as to use the rocket for TMI, or refuel the landing stage in Mun orbit before attempting landing.

Note that this craft file is a SPH file. Also, use action group 1 to toggle between all wheel drive/all wheel steering and cruise mode (rear wheel drive, front wheel steering)

Surface Propellant Depot

n5ly4g.jpg

Surface based propellant depot designed to hold significant amount of both bipropellant and monopropellant. Four modular base compatible docking ports allows expansions of depot capability via expansion modules. Powerful built in electrical system reduce or eliminate the need for stand alone power modules for the base. Can also house eight Kerbals if depot needs to be manned.

However, this particular module cannot be moved by Base Crawler due to its size and ground clearance. To move the module you must use its engines to "hop". This module is recommended for use as the first and core piece of a base.

Section 4: Launch Complex

Whilst we can't build spacecrafts from offworld bases, the below infrastructure allow you to refuel/defuel landed spacecrafts on the surface via construction of offworld launch complexes

Crawler Transporter / Crawler Transporter Carrier

20r7j9t.jpg

Surface bases are not much use if there's no way for them to you know, interact with spacecrafts. One way to allow this kind of interaction is to use mods like KAS, however there are stock solutions to this:

k2elop.jpg

These Crawler Transporters are designed work in pairs to handle and move compatible landed spacecrafts by docking with the designated docking ports on the craft. The craft can then retract its landing lands and by carried around by the crawlers. The crawlers can then move the spacecraft back to the surface base and dock with it via standard base docking ports. This allows loading or offloading of resources from the spacecraft, hence allowing importing or exporting of resources from offworld bases.

For bases with multiple launch complexes you will need N+1 Crawler Transporters, where N is the number of launch complexes to be serviced. Once a spacecraft has docked with the base the outward facing Crawler can be undocked to work on something else.

You have two craft files for this. One is a SPH craft file called Crawler Transporter which is simply the rover. The other is called Crawler Transporter Carrier which is a craft with launch vehicle capable of landing a pair of Crawlers on the surface of the Mun.

Base Supply Tanker

2mcsyl3.jpg

Nuclear powered, automated cis-minmus tanker designed for movement of propellant between Mun/Minmus surface and orbit. Compatible with modular base crawler transporters.

Cis-Minmus Shuttle

2ut441h.jpg

Nuclear powered, automated four man cis-minmus crew shuttle designed for movement of personnel between surface of of the two Kerbal moons, the moon orbits and LKO. Compatible with modular base crawler transporters. Not re-entry capable!

Section 5: Kethane Exploration

Kethane is one of the major reason why you would want to build a base. Below modules allow extraction and refining of Kethane. You will need the Kethane Pack for these modules to work.

Base Kethane Tank

s3j1np.jpg

16,000L kethane tank for modular base construction.

Base Kethane Refinery

s5xmco.jpg

Kethane refinery with kethoelectric generator for night time operation. Also houses one horizontal docking port designed to interface with compatible crude and product tanker rovers.

Base Kethane Extractor

2ldbuxk.jpg

Kethane extractor compatible with modular base construction standards. Extractor is designed to plug into the base power grid for power, but when necessary the built in kethoelectric reactor could be turned on to cope with periods of power shortage.

Kethane Tanker Rover

2wr3ns7.jpg

16,000L kethane tanker rover designed for transportation of crude kethane between wellhead and refinery.

Note, use action group 1 to toggle between all wheel drive/all wheel steering and cruise mode (rear wheel drive, front wheel steering)

Kethane Extractor

2qs29ol.jpg

Cis-Minmus capable autonomous kethane extractor equipped with onboard scanner. Contains one tanker rover compatible docking port and one modular base construction compatible docking port. Onboard small converter allows self-refuelling and relocation after kethane deposit depletion. Powerful built in electrical system (including a kethoelectric generator) allows running of all systems day and night.

note that this craft is compatible with modular base construction but cannot be moved by Base Crawler. To move the craft you must use its engines to "hop". This craft is designed to be a fully self-contained kethane extraction operation, however by using modular base construction you could add capability to it to expand it into a full-fledged base.

Edited by Temstar

This is awesome. The modularity is a great feature, since it allows users to adapt the base design to their needs. I also like what you've done with the LV-N engines -- I had also discovered that those fuel tanks are the right length to hide the length of the engine. Great job, all in all.

Oh dear lord :D If ever proof was needed that KSP is one of the best sandbox tools ever made (along with one of the best communities), this is surely it. The SSTO stuff has impressed me greatly, but this is just incredible. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing both the idea, and all of the detailed construction info/guides. Even just looking at the images, I've seen construction ideas that I wouldn't even have dreamed of myself.

Thanks again! :)

Well, if you want quality, go to the original. My bases pale in comparison with this stuff, Temstar. But I'm still glad you did it, because I learnt your tricks well. :)

Edit: And I might not be able to rep you for this, but that must be because I already did the last time you showed the construction method :P

Rune. Outstanding work!

Awww yes I remember the original threads, The release of this kit took so long partly because it turned out that to build the example bases on the Mun turned out to be quite a piece of work (who'll knew that launching 50 rockets to the Mun was so time consuming?) and partly become I took a long break away from KSP to work on other non-rocket related things.

I like your base kit Rune, shame it's not compatible. Part of the reason why I came back to finish and release the kit is because I saw there still wasn't any major base building going on in KSP. I'm hoping that this kit sparks enough interest to see modular bases pop up everywhere just like space stations. I went to detailing my exact method in building the parts in the hope that we get some sort of "standard" when it comes to base building so that in the future modules from different people are compatible from each other.

I have been working on building my own setup like this my way, but I may cancel that project as you now have stuff released. I do plan on modifying stuff in the future just for my own tastes. When Extraplanetary Launchpads becomes a more refined mod, perhaps you could build modules to do that so you could run off-world launch and construction facilities.

Unfortunately for you, my stream is booked full for this weekend, however I would love to feature this. I'll have to do some scouting next week for suitable landing zones.

One question. Due to the method of transport on the tunnels, what part would you recommend as being the starting point given the lesser number of probe cores than before? Or would you just advise keeping a base crawler on it until you get permenant probe cores or kerbals so it isn't tagged as debris.

Awww yes I remember the original threads, The release of this kit took so long partly because it turned out that to build the example bases on the Mun turned out to be quite a piece of work (who'll knew that launching 50 rockets to the Mun was so time consuming?) and partly become I took a long break away from KSP to work on other non-rocket related things.

I like your base kit Rune, shame it's not compatible. Part of the reason why I came back to finish and release the kit is because I saw there still wasn't any major base building going on in KSP. I'm hoping that this kit sparks enough interest to see modular bases pop up everywhere just like space stations. I went to detailing my exact method in building the parts in the hope that we get some sort of "standard" when it comes to base building so that in the future modules from different people are compatible from each other.

I'm willing to work on some stuff with you. More importantly, you just landed the spotlight on next weekend's stream (this weekend has already been given out to KOSMOS).

One question. Due to the method of transport on the tunnels, what part would you recommend as being the starting point given the lesser number of probe cores than before? Or would you just advise keeping a base crawler on it until you get permenant probe cores or kerbals so it isn't tagged as debris.

Actually the truss pieces do have probe core, but they don't have battery so left on its own the core will die after a few minutes. I figure the probe core's slight drain in power is a good simulation on the need for power to maintain shirt sleeve environment inside the trusses.

For first pieces anything with power generation will do, so that's the Tower of Power, the propellant depot, the stand along extractor, the tracking station. A base crawler or a crawler transporter will work too. Von Braun City actually landed with two loads of truss pieces (not including the Y truss) first before any modules and I linked those up and kept them alive by leaving a base crawler attached (I had two on site for assembly). Remember though the actual landing equipment for these modules generally have RTGs equipped, so they can stay alive indefinitely as long as you keep those landing equipments. If you're landing modules at your landing site but don't have truss pieces or base crawlers ready to assemble them then just keep the landing equipment attached until you are ready to start assembly.

oidlif.jpg

Adding first module to the start of Von Braun City.

Edited by Temstar

This is far too much awesome in one thread! Great work Temstar, this kit is really well done and has lots of cool stuff in it. I think I'm going to...'take inspiration' from your base crawler-I could never get a reliable way to build modular bases.

amazing set of items for base building my only issue with it is around the base crawler. seems to struggle to turn when loaded. also very easy to tip it over. wondering if removing the centre set of wheels would help with the turning issue? having great fun with it though land docking on mun is great fun! :D

amazing set of items for base building my only issue with it is around the base crawler. seems to struggle to turn when loaded. also very easy to tip it over. wondering if removing the centre set of wheels would help with the turning issue? having great fun with it though land docking on mun is great fun! :D

One thing that seem to help with the steering is to lock the centre two wheels in straight forward direction, I find that actually improves the steering. Also you might want to turn on SAS while driving and it uses the reaction wheel to try to keep the rover level.

Love it! I toyed with the idea back before wheels were added. But found the legs bounced too much, and landing gear were too wobbly. Great you found a way to make them. Wish I'd never abandoned the idea now. :P

Like your method of construction too. If you like, I could work on a rocket building tower, possibly...

I'm thinking of using a tipper type design to "lift" side ways assembled rockets (with your base crawlers) to a vertical position.

Edited by Technical Ben

Love it! I toyed with the idea back before wheels were added. But found the legs bounced too much, and landing gear were too wobbly. Great you found a way to make them. Wish I'd never abandoned the idea now. :P

Like your method of construction too. If you like, I could work on a rocket building tower, possibly...

I'm thinking of using a tipper type design to "lift" side ways assembled rockets (with your base crawlers) to a vertical position.

Hmmm, at first I was going to say "what's the point" since each piece of the rocket to be assembled have to be launched from Kerbin, might as well assemble the pieces in orbit. But then I thought more about this and you do have a point. Say for sample we have a mountain top base on Eve for launching harvested Blutonium and colonists. Instead of having two classes of rockets one for people and one for refined nuclear fuel, we could just have one rocket designed to lift X tons back into orbit and then have two different sets of payload modules lying around. Then depending on the need we'll assemble the payload module on top of the rocket, hoist it up to the vertical and launch.

If nothing else, it will at the minimum look really cool, I mean:

n1%2Bon%2Bcradle.jpg

I can think of two says - one we use the landing legs as lifts, since each leg is only so long the hoist will have to be done in many stages. Alternatively we could construct a rocket powered lift.

Yes. That's the idea. :D

Well, I'm not sure on the "reasons" for doing it either. The Kerbal reason? "[We don't go into space because it's easy, but] Because we can!" A rocket could be re-organized and recycled.

I was thinking of keeping construction of the rocket the same as your current method, horizontal. With a docking clamp on the top of the rocket (a toggle one with a nice cap too ;) ), you can build it on the side of a base. To begin with it would not need any legs for support, but I guess some system might be needed. Then for launch, it would decouple from the base, the "launcher" would tilt back, and it could launch!

The base of the rocket would either be a docking port with side mounted rockets, or a rocket with side mounted docking ports.

I'll be testing the tipping ability of a fuel tank weighted gantry. Using legs to tip, and fuel to weigh it down... wait a second, that picture just gave me an idea! You could use your rover design, with a side docking port on each bit of the rocket, then tilt your entire rover (with upgraded structure) with the launching platform. Then decouple the rovers on launch (I usually make "10" my decouple/launch button on all parts).

Edited by Technical Ben