Why do people like to watch other people getting hurt

Pawelk198604

I watched the youtube video of sporting events in which the accident occurred.

I saw a video in which the figure skater, hit full force of the fence ice rink. The other film I saw formula one driver, smashed his car. On yet another film, a young skateboarder landed on crotch on railing when tried to slide on it. I watched the video of a bullfight where the bull heavily wounded matador, I personally do not consider bullfighting a "sport".

I watched these movies to pass the time, because I had nothing else to do, but the comments in those movies scared me many users enjoyed seeing someone else hurt. Many comments were just hateful.

Sometimes it seems to me that people prefer watching someone hurt and failures than victories.

But why?

I don't get it either! :( I don't understand trolls, jerks, bullies, or anyone along those lines, because I just don't comprehend how people can like making other people feel sad. Yes, I am really empathetic.

Exactly, many LUsers enjoy other people's failures.

I am a compassionate person, for this as I see someone else's misfortune makes me sad:(

Don't base your opinion about general people using the comment section of a stupid youtube clip. You can imagine that mostly stupid people will watch that because they will search for it (they won't be searching clips about Voyager 2) and stupid people are usually loud and pushy, so they have the need to leave their "scent" in the form of an obnoxious comment. The worse people are, the more they behave like animals.

Oh, and bullfighting is not a sport. It's not a sport officially and it's not even close to sport. It's a disgusting thing done by a supposedly civilized country in European Union which "respects animal rights". It's pure hypocrisy.

Don't base your opinion about general people using the comment section of a stupid youtube clip. You can imagine that mostly stupid people will watch that because they will search for it (they won't be searching clips about Voyager 2) and stupid people are usually loud and pushy, so they have the need to leave their "scent" in the form of an obnoxious comment. The worse people are, the more they behave like animals.

Oh, and bullfighting is not a sport. It's not a sport officially and it's not even close to sport. It's a disgusting thing done by a supposedly civilized country in European Union which "respects animal rights". It's pure hypocrisy.

Agree, bullfighting is just barbarous. Spaniard might arguing that is part of their culture, but some better that some of "culture" pass away.

But i just talking about human tendency to by nasty to others. Humans are just liking to other failure "The Moon Hoaxer" are best example of that

When i watched video of F1 car accident some jerk write in comment. "I wonder if the guy with the burned face will still have successful with chicks"

Or when young boy skateboarder laded on groin someone said "That is a good thing, because he will now not be so cocky"

Edited by Pawelk198604
correct misspelling

Lots of crappy things were part of nations' culture. People in ancient Rome used to go to the Colloseum to watch people getting eaten alive by lions. They actually cheered while the victims were screaming in agony. Not all of them were happy about it, but it was "culture" and it was not questioned. It's something unimaginable to the vast majority of modern humans. One day people will be disgusted by lots of crappy things that a part of the society enjoys today, like people those horrid bloody fights for money.

Humanity is in the process of social evolution. Maybe it appears as people are getting more brutal, but it's because nowdays you can actually witness all that through the media. It's being shoved in your face, constantly, and that makes most people turn away from it.

Overall, people are getting better. Brutality, religious fanatism, discrimination, it's all thawing slowly.

So don't worry. Close tab and go and watch something else.

I might look at it a different way. First, ignore youtube comments because they are full of trolls reflecting imaginary human personas, not a reflection of actual human behavior. You also have to look at the magnitude of the injury, and dehumanization. Something like Wipeout is funny because it looks spectacular without people actually getting hurt. Amercas Funniest Home videos works on much the same principal. People might get bruised (physically or emotionally), but they aren't showing people breaking bones, losing limbs, or getting killed. I suppose it still says something about us that we can get pleasure from watching even that, but it's a far cry from people watching torture for entertainment.

As for animals, that would be the dehumanizing I suppose, and a sense of normalcy. In western culture, you grow up with the understanding that cows are for food, and dogs are pets, which seems to segue into branding cows makes you a farmer, while branding a dog means you are a monster. Animals are categorized in our heads, and what is and isn't okay for us depends on how they are categorized. If you grow up in a culture where bullfighting is normal, then the idea that it's not okay would be just as alien as perhaps the idea that dogs should be food. In this category, you can't hold anything to be an absolute truth. In fact, in that realm, about as far as you can get is "I think therefore I am". Even assuming the world exists is an assumption you can't prove. As it applies to this picture, what is right and what is wrong is entirely influenced by cultural perceptions. Why shouldn't we kill and torture other animals? Why is that wrong?

I'm not a supporter of animal cruelty, not by any means. Frankly, I consider abusing a cat or a dog a bigger crime than the same to another human, but I wouldn't hold that it's a rational system. Why am I okay with people who hunt animals for food, but not for sport? How can I hold harming a cat/dog as such a grievous offence while eating meat as a staple of my diet? It's subjective, and arbitrary.

Edited by Randox

That's why the law orders the animals killed for food to be killed as quick as possible. Modern culture in principle does not allow any suffering of sentient beings.

Right to not be molested is different from the right to live for animals.

Not entirely my point, or true. Sure, we do a fairly good job on the killing, not so much on the whole living conditions, or lab animals, or other scientific studies in the wild. There is a lot of room for improvement on that front. What I am getting at though is that you (I assume) and I are part of a culture that views forcing animals to suffer as wrong, and perhaps a culture that allows it out of a combination of ignorance and convenience. But I don't believe that we are in a position to look down on other cultures, because they can only do right by their own beliefs and values. I might like to believe that our empathy driven urge to not cause undue suffering in others might be the high ground, but in truth, it's an emotional thing, not a logical one.

To me, rather than judge other cultures, you must trust that this is a natural progression, and let people come to the conclusion for themselves, or arrive at something even better. I also bleieve that trying to push beliefs is counter productive at best, but that's another debate for another time. Do I like the bull fights? No, I'd be quite happy if they stopped. But I have no logical ground on which to call my point of view superior, and doing so on emotional grounds goes against my own values. They are doing right by them, who am I to say they're wrong?

There's a German word for it that's come across to English: schadenfreude. Seeing someone hurt themselves in a slapstick manner can be amusing, but people usually stop laughing pretty quickly if they realise somebody has been seriously hurt.

Of course, a lot of people are just jerks, too. I never understand why some people try to cheer you up when you're down by pointing out that others have it worse. That just depresses me more, but it does seem to work for a lot of people.

Panem et circenses (bread and games), especially the bloody ones - that's all most people need.

It actually means Bread and Circuses, just so you know.

And have you seen people laugh when someone dies? If a person suffers no serious injuries, we laugh at their clumsiness and move on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.