Concerns on the Uranus analog

EleSigma

-snip-

I am sorry I have to contradict your opinion, that nobody will visit this analog but no offense given.

There are so many Videos of People dropping ships and kerbals into jools surfaceless atmosphere just to watch them glitch and pop because of the physics breaking up.

The game is not about driving vehicles on the ground and complaining about the dude who scattered his car on your favourite street.

KSP is about challenges and how to solve them. How do I land a Craft so gently on a gravity well so high that eventually everything will break apart?

I cant wait to see Danny land the first time on this Monster or Scott building an entire Science Base on it.

I can only hope that the cloudy atmosphere is fogged up until 50m visibility. Imagine how many easter eggs you could place there and how hard it would be do discover them.

Also you need a Goal to achieve for the experienced Players. Maybe they add some moons around that analog which are easier to reach.

I love that idea. Does anybody have a link for the devstream Video? I kinda missed it.

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

If the interior core is say the size of kerbin then when you're landed the gravity will be 1G (assuming the same core density) and you'll have a really thick heavy atmosphere above you. Obviously if it's bigger then it'll be more, but it's just a challange as everything else is. Some people who can't even make orbit might say the same thing about how "impossible" it is to get to eve and back. I think you underestimate players.

Edit: And by the way, I would absolutely send a 1-way probe to it.

Edited by Person012345

a trap where nothing you land there will be able to get only a few meters off the ground at best, G's would be so extreme that it would kill Kerbals

We could still do one-way unmanned missions, land probes that can gather science.

My concern with the possible Uranus analog is having very tall mountains on a planet with very strong gravity.

Best be deleting Venus from space because people can't go there. Space exploration is not simply about going places. We investigate the universe to understand our place in it, to get a feel for what we are and why we are that way. It's not a field trip, it's an existential crisis.

Best be deleting Venus from space because people can't go there. Space exploration is not simply about going places. We investigate the universe to understand our place in it, to get a feel for what we are and why we are that way. It's not a field trip, it's an existential crisis.

People can't go there yet. Human technology could develop enough to put people on Venus, and so Kerbal technology could materialise from nowhere to allow Kerbals to cope with an atmosphere the consistency of treacle.

Also, FYI: I have SEEN players "land" on Jool (0/negative altitude) and return to orbit. Stock. NOTHING in this game is impossible.

Citation Needed.

Hope they add stock balloons!

This, and/ors the first reply with having a hello-thickness partial oxygen atmosphere would make the planet absolutely fascinating to visit. Also, we're all forgetting that Jool has an immense moon system; perhaps this one might as well. It's been said that Eeloo will eventually be repurposed to be a moon...

I think the Kerbol system needs more extreme environments, if anything. Even if a return mission is difficult or virtually out of the question (see: Eve, Jool) the missions can obviously still result in fun and adventure for all (see: Eve, Jool), and if you have to design a probe that can withstand colossal atmospheric entry loads, like the real-world Galileo probe, or a rover that is at home with 4g of surface acceleration, et cetera, that's just all the more fun and challenge for the engineers out there. If you like touching down something relatively hospitable and then leaving you can always go to Minmus, Pol, Bop, Gilly, Ike, the Mun and so on...

My concern with the possible Uranus analog is having very tall mountains on a planet with very strong gravity.

Uranus surface gravity is 6% higher than of Earth, so if it will be the same in KSP, I think it won't be a problem: fly over them and get to orbit. Escape will be really harder though, as at bigger distance you still fight a lot of gravity. to fly over a single mountain. Orbiting Saturn requires 25 km/s orbiting uranus requires 15 km/s (9 km/s for Earth orbit). So it will be a bit more coplicated.

Edited by Kulebron

Lol just tell me why you want to take off and return? For science? Just send a probe there and let it stay there, i personally dont return anyone to kerbin, because the beauty of the game is staying at different places and switching between them.

This question is silly. it is not squads job to come up with objectives for the player, thats part of what makes ksp so great - the player can do whatever the hell he/she wants, for whatever reason he/she wants.

but for the sake of argument, some examples

• maybe we will just send probes there, that dont have to come back
  • maybe it IS possible to return, but many times more difficult than eve, so only the greatest of KSP engineers can do it
  • or perhaps someone just wants to set up a permanent base there, with no intention of ever returning

Uranus jokes: The planet will probably not be named Uranus, so you don't have to worry about that.

If the pressure at the surface is 11 atm, that is over 2x the pressure at the surface of Eve now. The atmospheric pressure at the surface of Jool is 15 atm, and the descent speed reaches zero at non-zero altitude (source: Youtube videos). If aerodynamics get overhauled, and we get balloons, it may not be so difficult to land on and take off from these planets.

Here are four reasons to go to the Uranus analogue:

1) Because we can.

2) Because science.

3) Because the planet has some resource that is not found elsewhere (like Blutonium on Eve).

4) Because it has some great moons we want to go to.

Uranus jokes: The planet will probably not be named Uranus, so you don't have to worry about that.

If the pressure at the surface is 11 atm, that is over 2x the pressure at the surface of Eve now. The atmospheric pressure at the surface of Jool is 15 atm, and the descent speed reaches zero at non-zero altitude (source: Youtube videos). If aerodynamics get overhauled, and we get balloons, it may not be so difficult to land on and take off from these planets.

1) Because we can.

2) Because science.

3) Because the planet has some resource that is not found elsewhere (like Blutonium on Eve).

what if the atmosphere of uranus-analog has oxygen? then getting off wouldn't be so bad..

with such a thick atmosphere, wings would be super effective!

I hope we see a planet like Venus. Has anyone else read about the Venera probes? Interesting stuff and as of now there's no real analog, or place (or aerodynamics, for that matter), that requires an analog of them in KSP. I'd love to see a planet where I have to ditch the parachute because I drop too slowly.

I hope we see a planet like Venus. Has anyone else read about the Venera probes? Interesting stuff and as of now there's no real analog, or place (or aerodynamics, for that matter), that requires an analog of them in KSP. I'd love to see a planet where I have to ditch the parachute because I drop too slowly.

you have. i believe Eve is supposed to be the Venus analog

Jool is the closest absolute Venus-analogue. Jool has similar dimensions to real-life Venus and only slightly lower surface gravity, but you do need to ditch the parachutes when the descent becomes too slow (thanks to KSP aerodynamics), and the planet doesn't have a proper surface (bugs). The pressure at the "surface" of Jool is also 6-7 times lower than at the surface of Venus.

1) Because we can.

2) Because science.

Except that balloons wouldn't work on Uranus, as its atmosphere is made primarily of hydrogen. Hint: hydrogen balloons do not work in a hydrogen atmosphere. Only a hot air balloon would work.

From what I've seen discussed, this "Uranus analog" will be ANYTHING BUT a Uranus analog. It will be a valuable addition to the KSP universe, but nothing like Uranus.

I want to see them add atmospheric pressure at some point so flimsier probes dropped on Eve or Jool or the other gas giant implode if they go too far.