[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

For some reason, when using the 3.5m docking port, the port sometimes switches to be smaller than it should be. I have no idea whats causing it, but it appears to either do it either when time accelerating or switching crafts. Is there a method of fixing it?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3278930422917226927/BB1313E0A68E1AB1E69249D34C5559E4DB7C059F/

It appears to only happen when I am controlling the port itself, which is apperent in the picture (the docking port under it is fine, but not the root docking port)

That's a known bug, and it'll be fixed in the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah right, I was wondering because one can use the extra NoAutoShroud for the engines part.cfg's in the KR Rocketry install and I wondered if I should do that or not. I'll probably not do that now I know what it implies, don't want FAR to create strange turbulences with 'open' engines in stages. ;-)

Thanks for the info.

Greets,

Jan

I brought that up with ferram a while back - FAR will create drag on engines, fairing or not. This is because the automatic engine fairings aren't really a part and they don't have a cfg for FAR to search through for the word 'fairing' in order to shield its contents I.e. the engine. If it helps, think of the drag being applied to the fairing, not the engine.

Edit: also, the drag model isn't smart enough to calculate complex shapes like engines, it just sees a cylinder.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Oh well, maybe I got carried away in the realms of what's possible and what's not. ;-)

Overall I think FAR is very nice in the department of punishing for G-overloads and other stress factors, however I have the feeling that the drag in the atmosphere is on the low side. I'm not really a plane builder, but since I've got it installed slowing down for landing the most simple designs is harder then putting a Piper down in real life, it just won't bleed speed and drop it seems.

And no, I'm no real pilot, but 15 or more years of FS should count for something too in that respect. lol

Greets,

Jan

I'm not really a plane builder, but since I've got it installed slowing down for landing the most simple designs is harder then putting a Piper down in real life, it just won't bleed speed and drop it seems.

And no, I'm no real pilot, but 15 or more years of FS should count for something too in that respect. lol

On FS, did you use flaps? Spoilers? Anything to increase drag at all? If you did, did you do the same in KSP? I have actually landed a Grob G-115 in real life and can tell you, without the proper parts like flaps etc, flaring would take ages and not bleed off a significant amount of speed. I've found atmospheric drag to be very realistic, in fact - take off and climb requires full throttle but cruising can be done on half or less - considering spaceplanes are designed to be slippery as hell, they don't need a lot to keep going. I've no doubt that if one were to make a Piper in KSP, with all flaps and spoilers set up correctly, it wouldn't be an issue.

But this is really a question about FAR, not KWR, so if you'd like to discuss this further, perhaps consider moving to its thread :P

I brought that up with ferram a while back - FAR will create drag on engines, fairing or not. This is because the automatic engine fairings aren't really a part and they don't have a cfg for FAR to search through for the word 'fairing' in order to shield its contents I.e. the engine. If it helps, think of the drag being applied to the fairing, not the engine.

That would be a good reason to use KW's decoupler shroud -- the shroud geometry covers the engine and, since "shroud" is in the name, FAR should consider the engines shielded.

On FS, did you use flaps? Spoilers? Anything to increase drag at all? If you did, did you do the same in KSP? I have actually landed a Grob G-115 in real life and can tell you, without the proper parts like flaps etc, flaring would take ages and not bleed off a significant amount of speed.

[snip]

But this is really a question about FAR, not KWR, so if you'd like to discuss this further, perhaps consider moving to its thread :P

Well, I did an attempt with something that resembled spoilers, but I presume they were too small then. ;-)

As said I'm not really a plane builder, so back to the drawing board first when planes are concerned and you're right continuation of this should go to the FAR thread in future.

Greets,

Jan

That would be a good reason to use KW's decoupler shroud -- the shroud geometry covers the engine and, since "shroud" is in the name, FAR should consider the engines shielded.

An excellent point and one I hadn't considered - using the interstages would indeed shield the engine. Without that NoAutoShroud option or TweakableEverything installed though, you'll get the normal fairing too.

I am having a big problem with this mod, all the fairings have "miss placed" joints. they all loaded at least 5 meters form where they where supposed to be. :( please help me

I am having a big problem with this mod, all the fairings have "miss placed" joints. they all loaded at least 5 meters form where they where supposed to be. :( please help me

What the very last video in the OP. It shows how to place fairings correctly.

What the very last video in the OP. It shows how to place fairings correctly.

OK that helped a little but apart from that i am still having trouble with the interstage and the large fairing

:(

OK that helped a little but apart from that i am still having trouble with the interstage and the large fairing

:(

Can you post a screenshot of your problems with the interstage??

And for the 3.75m fairings, yes those can be tricky. This video I uploaded awhile back might be helpful.