Space Station Ideas?

After going to the moon, reaching Duna, and putting 80 hours in the game, I decided it might be a good time to learn how to Rendezvous. Before it looked hard and complex, but I finally watched a couple quality tutorials (thanks ksp forum and Scott Manley!!) I decided it might not be as hard as I thought it was. After docking two capsules, I was pumped, so I created a space station. Now I have a lifetime supply of rocket fuel, more docking ports than I will ever need (different types too), and a lot of kerbals. Then I realized I didn't really have an objective, I was just launching the same stuff over and over. So do you have any ideas of what to do with rendezvous and space stations now?

You might add some Communications docking pods, a Probe Wing, maybe somewhere the Kerbals can hang out, A Hydroponics wing (There are no Hydroponics in KSP so you'll need to use some imagination :) ) A fuel depot is a great idea, you could also add some escape pods and maybe a space plane, a rescue lander, You could also add a space tug (A Probodobodyne based body with RCS fuel and RCS thrusters so you can tug things around your space station **Very useful**) and you could also add (Just for god measure) some battery banks.

I find space stations a lot more useful when they orbit far away bodies you want to explore. For e.g you can have a space station around duna, attach a trusted lander, and send a couple orange tanks to allow multiple flights down the surface. Have a crew stay in orbit around duna and a small crew transfer craft that visits sometimes ;)

It is even more fun with the kethane mod, where you could have a kethane miner getting fuel from ike...

A fuel depots never a bad idea, also, i like to have about 5-10 escape pods
I find space stations a lot more useful when they orbit far away bodies you want to explore. For e.g you can have a space station around duna, attach a trusted lander, and send a couple orange tanks to allow multiple flights down the surface. Have a crew stay in orbit around duna and a small crew transfer craft that visits sometimes ;)

Both of these are very good and practical ideas, especially when taken together. Send a fuel depot to a planet you intend on visiting soon, so that you can go there an refuel before you leave if you need to. Kill two birds with one stone, as they say.

Ha ha. I have done the opposite. I have put up about 5 space stations of varying sizes. Done loads of kerbin orbit stuff but never been past minmus.

After 120 hours Im only put a single kerbal on the Mun and that was wholly unsuccessfully.

I have docked more parts than I care to remember however... Just shows you there are so many ways to play this game!

As for the stations, I like to launch up small modules, each on a separate rocket, using minimal fuel and RCS. I tend to avoid the massive first stages lifting honking great stations.

Doing 5 or so stations this way (plus various other Kerbin related activities) probably explains why it took me over 100 hours before I landed a rover on the Mun... I had fun so I don't regret a second of my time!

Edited by nine_iron

I suggest you make several stations in Kerbin orbit, if you just want something to do. I have two stations, and I ferry crew between them constantly, sometimes using the same ship over ten times. I plan on making a Mun or Minmus station, but haven't taken the time to do so yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.