What's the highest mass you've ever put into Kerbin orbit with a single ship?

Awass

I just launched my biggest ever vessel: 1.4675 tons. It's an ion-propelled probe intended to fly to Bop. Here it is, still attached to a 2634-ton booster (11846 tons at launch) in a nice circular Kerbin orbit:

VVWXaI9.png

It's sarcasm, of course. The Brick-41 booster (41 linked stacks of 3.75m rockets) is the biggest thing I've ever launched, and I was using that tiny probe as a test. The booster is an SSTO, and is in a stable 87x82km orbit with just over 1000m/s of delta-V remaining, a small part of which I used to safely de-orbit it afterward. (It launches with 5583m/s of delta-V and a TWR of 1.73.) With no payload, it reached orbit with about 1300 tons of fuel remaining, for a weight of 2634 tons. It can safely handle a payload of 800-900 tons and still reach a circular orbit with almost dry tanks (~1300 tons), but at a part count of 741 parts (plus whatever struts you need to connect to the payload), I'll only use it for my giant space stations. The thing is so large that steering it with flywheels drains about 30 energy per second from the batteries, and it takes about 5 minutes to turn itself around for the de-orbit burn if I use only those flywheels. (The turn rate is much higher when the engines are on, because it gimbals the engines; when I steer, I usually turn the engines to low power so that it doesn't take nearly so long.)

To give you a size reference, here it is just after leaving the launch pad:

zPYitaJ.png

Next up would be the Brick-49, at 13000 tons launch weight, but right now I have nothing to use it for. In theory I could keep going even further, but I'm already pretty much out of room in the VAB and have to use various tricks to get around that.

• 5 months later...

2100 tons, all stock, no cheats/mods.

A lander to get a kerbal to plant a flag on Eve and return to Eve orbit, with a single craft. Had to use fuel from the lander to get it into orbit, so it's not fully fueled (lots of refueling missions next).

First stage:

UdsXzew.png

120 mainsails pancake staged

Second stage was 78 mainsails

KG9rT9x.png

Third stage with 54, this is the part that will land on Eve once it's refuelled

fTlB0Na.png

Finally in orbit, only a few tanks still have fuel

ETuOZ8E.png

71rmgwN.png

View from above

5J0xlQC.png

Poor ol' Jeb's stuck at the bottom, next to all those loud engines

u1EQTzj.png

At 1556 parts and 14,146 tons, it's not for the faint of heart (or processor power) http://www./download/33y4hgtdypuk2y7/_G_Eve+Lander+1.craft

Since I saw this thread, I decided for laughs to throw a few hundred tons of xenon gas into orbit.

14220245181_b2f0085833.jpg 14200399666_6206bcf479.jpg 14220239941_ceef58f8d4.jpg

No fancy fuel lines, just two stages to orbit with the ARM parts. The xenon depot is 315 tons, of which 175 is xenon, using Near Future Propulsion's octo-girder tanks. That's 1.75 million units of xenon, or the equivalent of 2,500 stock xenon tanks, or enough to run a single PB-ION for 42 days straight.

No pics, but probably around 400-500 tons. The current lifter I've been using on my latest save is probably the strongest one I've ever made, and it easily throws 250 tons into LKO and will still have enough fuel to transfer you half way to Duna without using nukes. If I replace the central engine with a cluster of nukes, then the lifter itself can also act as a transfer stage with around 9k delta-v depending on the payload.

I think my biggest ship was around 1600 tons, using the 3.75m KWRocketry-stuff (afair no asparagus after first stage). Most of the time, there is just no reason to lift heavier weights. You might have a potential 2000ton ship, but bringing it into orbit with full tanks is just a hassle. Make it 1.2k and refuel it in orbit. Or just land it on the moon and mine kethane. And then it sits there because playing with 5fps isn't fun in the long run.

My "standard" heavy lifter carries 300t of payload to Jool. Not sure what it will take to LKO. Maybe 500t? I have an "ultra-heavy" that I wasn't able to find an upper limit on, that was used to send a ~500t payload to Eve. Tried putting bigger payloads on to test it, but the rocket started exploding on launch before I found the limit.

Oh you boys with your big engines, here is a 100t to 100km orbit with only LV-T30's... I haven't even tried to use the big ones yet. Someday when i have time i will do some test launches.

A block is 48 LV-T30's with 10320kn thrust, B block is 30 LV-T's with 6450kn and C block is 14 LV-T's with 3010kn. And failed the orbital burn a little so not perfect 100x100...

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/9fHLG/embed"></iframe>

I haven't tried launching severely massive payloads into space, but after an accident with a save file I had to relaunch a challenge vessel into orbit. Being oddly shaped as well as having the lazy-bone kick in, I figured I'd launch the entire vessel pre-assembled into space. Only 109 tons, but there was an interesting catch due to the design of the craft, as seen below.

knK8HBy.jpg

This is also using stupid_chris' stock rebalance files, where the ARM NASA parts are rebalanced closer to the other traditional stock engines. It makes it more challenging as well as having a unique limit due to my design. Apparently, that lander at the bottom of the central part of my core ship looses its radial tanks due to FAR stress if I achieve 1.7 TWR before reaching 10k in height.

I didn't want to over-engineer a design with liquid rockets, so I used the larger NASA-styled SRBs that Chris upscales and tweaked them down where they achieve a rather wonderful curve from 1.05 to 1.67 right at 10k. The SRBs actually carried that thing up to 33k~ by themselves before the ascent engines were fired. It could have easily achieved a 100k+ orbit, though I jettisoned the ascent stage when it was just shallow enough to still return for burn-up (as per 'no debris' policies I inflict on myself as much as I can).

PS: Yes the only thing holding those two separate stacks together is three struts and the upper core vessel itself. I was surprised at how stable it was without any joint reinforcement mods/etc.

Edited by Quiana

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a breakthrough: how to keep vessel roll from getting out of control on large vessels. Reaction wheels and RCS by themselves are too weak but RCS on a torsion rod that steers a large engine appears to work in some cases.

13,103 tons on the pad, 725 parts, 3 stages, third stage in orbit is 2300 tons:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft file here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25339567/KSP%20Craft%20Files/Big%2045c6.craft

I had problems with going bigger, because the physics behaves differently with larger part counts, and what "should" be stable tends to spontaneously explode.

About this much:

screenshot195_zps191d5b1d.png~original

screenshot196_zpse426f01c.png~original

Although this was before the new SLS parts, and I was straining my CPU to manage it. Whole bunch of probes with enough fuel to get to Jool without nuke engines (or at least, with only a single nuke as the final stage). I think it was about half a kiloton all told.

I should try beating this, now that 3.75m parts are standard. Shouldn't be too tricky.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.