Constellation Space Program - Three Part Challenge

Are the EDS and the second stage of the Ares V identical?

Yeah; that's the way the Ares V was intended to operate - a lower stage with strap-on SRBs that was all lit up at launch, and then an upper stage. That upper stage is the Earth Departure Stage, used for circularizing heavy payloads and then shooting it off towards its final destination. And no, you only need to have one of them.

The way it reads (or at least the way I'm reading that) is that in order to get the points for landing the Kerbals, it'll be necessary for me to A) land the un-Kerballed Altair somewhere close to the pole and B) park the other one close by. Is that essentially correct, or can I A) put the un-Kerballed lander where I please, B) brake the Orion into orbit, undock the lander un-kerballed and land it near the pole, and then C) send yet another lander to rendezvous with the Orion in Münar orbit and land it next to either one of the first two?

Mainly just trying to plan out my remaining missions here. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to get that monster of a rover anywhere (especially since I can use a Cargo Altair to get it to the Mün, but it looks like for the Duna mission it'll have to tag along with one of the other landers with the way the rules are written).

How close to the pole do I need to be?

Basically, I am trying to encourage a demonstration that the spacecraft system is flexible enough, and piloting skills are sharp enough, to establish an Munar outpost anywhere on the Mun. I think you're describing EOR for the Munar orbital delivery and then LOR for the crewed landing. Totally fine.

For Duna delivery, as long as the crew lands within 10km (or 100km if they have access to a rover) of the rest of the mission hardware, the mission is a success.

As far as proximity to the pole, I'd say something like with a latitude >=66 degrees North or South of the equator. However, I do not know how to display that kind of detail with stock KSP. An intentional polar landing should be fairly easy to recognize - if it looks polar, it is polar.

Yeah; that's the way the Ares V was intended to operate - a lower stage with strap-on SRBs that was all lit up at launch, and then an upper stage. That upper stage is the Earth Departure Stage, used for circularizing heavy payloads and then shooting it off towards its final destination. And no, you only need to have one of them.
Thanks Capi. Looking through Death's screenshots now, I should have realized that was the case.

Okay, I can now resume progress on... planning. :)

Yep. :)

yBNYJHOl.png

Konstellation Space Program - Final Update

Having completed a crewed Duna landing and return mission, and returning all Munar Outpost crews back to Kerbin, the Konstellation Space Program's primary mission objectives are complete. Further outposts and missions to Duna can be launched to follow those who went before them now that the Ares I/V rockets, Altair landers and Duna mission hardware have all been mission-tested and proven to perform above and beyond their design requirements. Several design, mission and science points were missed, including the 'space telescope' which, even with a pass through Eve's atmosphere, failed to make Kerbol-synchronous orbit.

Compiled scoring from all steps/missions completed:

Design - 59 points:

Crew Launch Vehicle (Ares I)

•Two stage rocket to LKO (+2)

•Does not jettison any radial stages (solid or liquid tanks/engines) (+2)

•Can carry Orion Block 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+1)

•Uses any solid fuel booster on first stage (+1)

•Uses only solid fuel on first stage (+3)

Heavy Cargo Lift Vehicle (Ares V)

•Five or six liquid engines on first stage (+3)

•Does not jettison any radial liquid tanks/engines (+2)

•Uses and jettisons at least two solid fuel boosters on first stage (+1)

•Two stage rocket to LKO: After the first stage is dropped, the second stage (EDS), carries payload to orbit +2)

•Can carry the Earth Departure Stage (EDS) and Orion BLock 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the EDS (+1)

•EDS Bonus: Second stage can put Orion Block 1 into Munar free-return trajectory (+2)

Crew Vehicle (Orion)

•Supports at least 4 crew (+4)

•Each crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1)

•Self-contained multi-purpose spacecraft: Launch Escape System (LES), Power, RCS fuel/thrusters, orbital maneuvering engine/fuel, docking port, probe core (+2)

•Service module: Before landing, drops orbital maneuvering engine and all it's fuel and at least a portion of RCS fuel (+2)

•Safely touches down on land and water (+1)

•Solar/battery electrical only (no RTG) (+2)

•Block 1/2 bonus: Develop a Block 2 with slightly higher delta-V. Block 1 is intended for low orbit missions and the Block 2 for Munar/deep space missions (+1)

Munar Lander (Altair)

•Supports 4 crew (+4)

•Can perform un-Kerballed landings without the use of an Orion spacecraft (Altair and EDS launched on Ares V) (+1)

•Can perform Munar orbit insertion from Kerbin-Mun trajectory for both an Altair and and Orion capsule (either Block I or II) without using any Orion fuel (+2)

•2 stage lander with separate ascent stage (descent stage stays on Munar surface) (+2)

•Rover bonus: Can deploy at least one rover with seats for at least half (round up) of the lander crew (+3)

•Addition rover: Can deploy a second rover (same or different than first rover) (+1)

•Pressurized rover: Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with a crewed or uncrewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant lander or a specialized Cargo Altair that brings only the rover (+2)

•Outpost Variant: Develop a version of the Altair that can land robotically and has enough room for 1.5 times your Altair landing crew size (round up). Eg. If your Altair lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Altair lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8. The Outpost Variant can have, but does not require, the ability to return from Munar surface. (+2)

Duna Lander (Mars Direct)

•Lander supports 4 crew (+4)

•Kerbin Return Vehicle capable of Kerbin return with either direct ascent to Kerbin or Duna Orbit Rendezvous with Kerbin return stage (+3)

•Outpost Variant: Develop the Duna lander to remain on Duna as a permanent outpost. The Duna landing mission should include pressurized seats for 1.5 times your crew size (round up). Eg. If your Duna lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Duna lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8 (+2)

Mission - 53 points:

Research and Development

•Launch a boilerplate Orion capsule/EDS on suborbital flight using Ares I (+1)

•Perform an abort and recovery (LES) of an un-Kerballed Orion capsule using the Launch Escape System, while first stage is firing (+1)

•Launch and dock an unkerballed Orion Block 1 to the orbiting space station, for use as a lifeboat (+2)

•Using an Ares V and EDS, send an un-Kerballed Orion spacecraft into a free-return trajectory orbit to the Mun and perform a high speed re-entry test. Re-entry g-force must exceed 9g's (+2)

•Perform a LKO test of an Altair Munar lander. With at least one Kerbal on board, fly an Altair Munar lander at least 100km away from the Orion spacecraft. Dispose of the descent stage, then fly the ascent stage back to the Orion. Transfer the crew to the Orion then robotically control the ascent stage into a re-entry orbit (+3)

•Using an un-Kerballed Duna lander and an EDS on Ares V, perform a high-speed re-entry from at least 15,000km Ap. (+2)

•Launch an un-Kerballed Duna lander on Ares V into low orbit. Perform an orbital test and descent of the lander (crewed or uncrewed) (+3)

•Use an Ares I in at least one space station docking mission (+1)

•Use an Ares I in at least one Munar mission (flyby, orbital or landing) (+1)

•Use an Ares I in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+1)

•Use an Ares V in at least one Munar mission (orbital or landing) (+2)

•Use an Ares V in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+2)

Space Station - Orion/Ares I

•Launch an Orion to the orbiting space station with at least 4 crew. Perform a crew exchange and return four Kerbals from the space station to Kerbin using the Orion. (+2)

•Return at least one Kerbal from the space station to Kerbin in an Orion which was docked robotically. This is a "liferaft" scenario intended to use the Orion left at the space station in "Research and Development" above. (+1)

Mun - Orion/Ares I/Ares V/Altair

•Land an un-Kerballed Altair on the Mun without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V) (+2)

•Demonstrate that your Altair can, on its own, brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing (+2)

•Land at least 4 Kerbals in an Altair on the Mun within 1km of either above Altair (+3)

•Return four Kerbals from a Munar landing to Kerbin (+2)

•Munar Outpost: Using at least one crewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant and a pressurized rover set up a Munar Outpost. The Outpost Variant can join a crewed Altair already on the Mun or can be part of a separate Altair/Outpost Variant mission to another location. The Altair and Outpost Variant need to be within 100m of each other. (+5)

Duna - Orion/Ares I/Ares V/Duna Lander

•Land an un-Kerballed Kerbin Return Vehicle on Duna. Can be either Duna-Kerbin direct ascent capable or dock with an orbiting Duna-Kerbin return stage (+4)

•At least 4 Kerbals pass withing 5000km of Duna (+2)

•Land at least four Kerbals on Duna within 10 km (100 km if by rover) of the above Duna lander. To earn these points, the un-Kerballed lander above must be landed and remain powered. Successful landing must take place before the landing crew has committed to Duna re-entry (+5)

•Return the Duna landing crew and any remaining Duna orbiting crew to Kerbin (+4)

Science Points - 3 points:

•Altair descent stage science: +1 for each science-equipped Altair landed on Mun (+2)

•Duna Lander: Lander on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

Photo Albums

Mission Hardware Catalog

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Highlight Album

I was wondering when you were going to jump in there, Death Engineering. Looks like I need to get off my duff and do some missions...

Thanks on the answers. In the stock game you can go to the map screen to see the coordinates of any landed object. You can also do it with KER.

Press Release 0005.9b

Good Enough Engineering announces completion of the design phase of its Orion crew capsule and Ares I launch vehicle.

Each Orion capsule seats up to seven crewmembers (+6), and is a fully-functional spacecraft in and of itself. It carries 4000 units of electrical capacity with static and deployable solar panels, while avoiding the use of hazardous radioactive materials to improve safety (+2). It has an RCS maneuvering system, as well as a universal class-2 docking port for combined mission profiles and a remote-guidance module for non-kerbaled spaceflight (+2).

Before landing, Orion drops its orbital engine and all remaining rocket and RCS fuel (+2). It is also equipped with both shock-absorbing landing struts and a small descent-slowing srb system to soften landings, that augment the six chutes to improve comfort and safety and enable both land and sea recovery (+1).

Most importantly, every Orion crew capsule is required to launch with a Launch Escape System, which will whisk the crew cabin away from the launch vehicle at the first sign of danger.

Orion comes in two configurations so far; Block I with limited orbital maneuvering capacity (massing 14.65t), and Block II for future deep-space missions (massing 21.9t) (+1). Both versions have been test-fired on the launch pad and will soon begin flight testing on the new Ares I launch vehicle.

The Ares I launch vehicle is a two-stage rocket capable of lifting over 22 tons to a 75km circular orbit (+2). The first stage consists of a single block of SRBs that all fire concurrently (+4), and the second stage consists of a single liquid-fuel engine and structually-integrated tank stack (+2). It is fully capable of delivering both Block I and Block II configurations of the Orion module to Low Kerbin Orbit (+3).

After initial difficulties with the Singular Combined SRB Staging design, both the first and second stages of the Ares I launch vehicle have been test-fired and approved for a proving flight. The Ares I has been fully assembled on the pad with a dummy load exceeding the mass of the Orion Block II crew vehicle and is scheduled for a test-flight Sometime Soon.

Thank you all for your time. Any inquiries may be directed to GEE's PR department.

(Design Points for Orion and Ares I: 25 (full execution))

Crapsack Skunkworks received word today from NASA (the National Aerobatics and Stay-Put Administration) that Kongress has cut their budget for Fiscal Year Two. Something about the housing market on Kerbin collapsing on account of there being no housing on Kerbin (for that matter, not much in terms of buildings or infrastructure at all). President O'bummer Kerman has already stated that he doesn't give a Kraken about the space program, so the planned remaining eight missions of the Constipation program are going to be it for a while. To save extra money for take-out pizza, NASA has combined the plans for Constipation IX and Constipation X, effectively scrapping Constipation X entirely. Meanwhile, Crapsack Skunkworks unveiled their latest hardware for the program, and the launch of Constipation VI took place as scheduled.

I have some scoring questions again, regarding these three criteria:

Can perform un-Kerballed landings without the use of an Orion spacecraft (Altair and EDS launched on Ares V) --- Do I score these points if this criteria is met with any of the lander designs (crew lander, habitat, cargo), if it is met by all the designs, or is if its met specifically by the crew lander?

Land an un-Kerballed Altair on the Mun without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V) -- Same question.

Altair descent stage science: +1 for each science-equipped Altair landed on Mun -- Same question again. I ask this one because there are science instruments on my habitat lander (which is only a single stage craft; I intended for it to go down and not come back up, but it turned out capable of launch again).

In all three cases, I've highlighted the criteria below in orange - I have not counted those points because I'm not 100% sure I've fulfilled their criteria. The bright green stuff I'm counting.

PREVIOUS SCORES: Design 59, Mission 22

NEW POINTS CLAIMED: Design +4 (63), Mission +0 (0)

All Points Previously Achieved in the Following Categories:

Crew Launch Vehicle (Thanatos 7)

Heavy Cargo Lift Vehicle (Thanatos Heavy 7)

Crew Vehicle (Scorpio 7)

Space Station - Scorpio/Thanatos

DESIGN POINTS

Munar Lander (Katapugon 7 Series): +2 pts

Can perform un-Kerballed landings without the use of an Orion spacecraft (Altair and EDS launched on Ares V) (+1)

Can perform Munar orbit insertion from Kerbin-Mun trajectory for both an Altair and and Orion capsule (either Block I or II) without using any Orion fuel (+2)

Pressurized rover: Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with a crewed or uncrewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant lander or a specialized Cargo Altair that brings only the rover (+2)

Outpost Variant: Develop a version of the Altair that can land robotically and has enough room for 1.5 times your Altair landing crew size (round up). Eg. If your Altair lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Altair lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8. The Outpost Variant can have, but does not require, the ability to return from Munar surface. (+2)

Duna Lander (Katapugon 7 Series): +2 pts.

Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander (+2)

Outpost Variant: Develop the Duna lander to remain on Duna as a permanent outpost. The Duna landing mission should include pressurized seats for 1.5 times your crew size (round up). Eg. If your Duna lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Duna lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8 (+2)

MISSION POINTS

R&D: +0 pts

Use an Ares I in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+1)

Use an Ares V in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+2)

Mun - Scorpio/Thantatos/Thantatos Heavy/Katapugon Series: +0 pts

Land an un-Kerballed Altair on the Mun without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V) (+2)

Demonstrate that your Altair can, on its own, brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing (+2)

Land at least 4 Kerbals in an Altair on the Mun within 1km of either above Altair (+3)

Return four Kerbals from a Munar landing to Kerbin (+2)

Munar Outpost: Using at least one crewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant and a pressurized rover set up a Munar Outpost. The Outpost Variant can join a crewed Altair already on the Mun or can be part of a separate Altair/Outpost Variant mission to another location. The Altair and Outpost Variant need to be within 100m of each other. (+5)

SCIENCE POINTS

Advanced Technology Large-Aperture Space Telescope: Using an Ares V/EDS, deploy a science package to Kerbol synchronous orbit (Pe and Ap at 1 508 045.29 km +/- 1000km) (+2)

Altair descent stage science: +1 for each science-equipped Altair landed on Mun (maximum +3)

Kerbin Return Vehicle: Pre-landed Kerbin return vehicle on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

Duna Lander: Lander on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

No other mission objectives completed to date.

Edited by capi3101

I have some scoring questions again, regarding these three criteria:

Can perform un-Kerballed landings without the use of an Orion spacecraft (Altair and EDS launched on Ares V) --- Do I score these points if this criteria is met with any of the lander designs (crew lander, habitat, cargo), if it is met by all the designs, or is if its met specifically by the crew lander?

Land an un-Kerballed Altair on the Mun without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V) -- Same question.

Altair descent stage science: +1 for each science-equipped Altair landed on Mun -- Same question again. I ask this one because there are science instruments on my habitat lander (which is only a single stage craft; I intended for it to go down and not come back up, but it turned out capable of launch again).

In all three cases, I've highlighted the criteria below in orange - I have not counted those points because I'm not 100% sure I've fulfilled their criteria. The bright green stuff I'm counting.

PREVIOUS SCORES: Design 59, Mission 22

NEW POINTS CLAIMED: Design +4 (63), Mission +0 (0)

"Can perform un-Kerballed landings without the use of an Orion spacecraft (Altair and EDS launched on Ares V) (+1)"

Points are scored if any return-to-orbit capable Altair can land on Mun without a crewed or uncrewed Orion. Points are awarded here as I can see your (huge) lander pulled it off.

"Land an un-Kerballed Altair on the Mun without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V) (+2)"

Points awared, since it looks like the landing was a success.

"Altair descent stage science: +1 for each science-equipped Altair landed on Mun (maximum +3)"

Points awarded if your lander stays on Mun (anywhere, just not in orbit).

So, looks like you scored all points in yellow. Definitely in the "go big or home" department! I don't think I could fly those on my wee PC. Even with my smaller landers, by the time I got the third one down to the outpost site my PC was having to run physics for two spacecraft already on the Munar surface and it almost stopped. Eek.

Crapsack Skunkworks looking really good! :D

Alright then; I'll count those as awarded. One quick thing - I've only landed one Altair with science on the Mun so far (I discovered that the descent stage with the 'riders had no science instruments installed), so I should only have one science point.

It helps to turn the graphics settings down. Seriously - I've been told I'm playing KSP with an ultra-low-end box before, and these big ships have some serious lag going on (especially during the launch). That 46 second SRB burn on the Thanatos Heavy 7 takes about 2:15 in real time. I might have to post the in-game settings I'm running it under; my specs are a Dual-core 2.9 GHz with 2GB RAM, running an entry-level nVidia GeForce 7000 series onboard graphics chip. My laptop uses the same settings and can barely run the 0.18 demo.

Turns out I do have those in-game settings with me: low terrain detail, disable WIP and SM3, 10% terrain density, 1024x768 fullscreen res, AA off, every vBlank, 60 fps, 0 pixels, 0 cascades, simple rendering, 1/8 res, fallback true, aerodynamic very low, 25 persistent debris, 0.1 sec delta-T/F, flight UI quite small. The rest are default settings. It looks terrible (as per my screenshots), but it does let you play the game with a low-end box.

My "company" really needs its own flag. Or logo at least. Something else for me to GIMP up.

Press Release 0014.1

The past few days have seen good success for GEE's budding space program.

The Orion Block II boilerplate launch of the Ares I went swimmingly, obtaining orbit without flaw and then de-orbiting itself as planned. An on-pad test of the Orion's LES was also performed, showing the system performs as expected to keep our kerbonaut crews safe in the event of a mishap.

Following the results of these two tests, an in-flight LES abort test was carried out, which again proved successful (+1).

The Orion Block I was then sent on a test-flight on which it obtained orbit, de-orbited, reentered the atmosphere and landed on hard Kerbin earth, with no damage to the module. This final successful test means the Orion is now cleared to launch and dock with the orbiting ISS to serve as a life-boat in need. Guidance during the docking will be closely monitored, and an abort will be issued if any problems arise that threaten the station.

Finally, we're proud to announce the unveiling of the Altair Munar landing craft. It supports six crew (+6), and with an additional Kerbin Departure Stage, will be able to reach and land on the Mun with its advanced guidance package (+1), and if needed can even slow itself and an Orion module into Lunar orbit under its own power (+2).

Altair consists of two parts: The landing module, which performs the de-orbit and landing and will stay on the surface with long-term science instruments and its own solar panels (+2), and an ascent module which returns the crew to low Munar orbit. It also contains two rovers, each with a seating capacity of 3 (+4).

WHIS engineers are, among other phases of the spaceflight program, working on an Outpost variation of the Altair lander for long-term habitation of the Mun, which will include a pressurized rover for extended safer excursions.

The Overengineered Components Division has also submitted a design for the heavy-lifting Ares V launch vehicle; this vastly exceeds expected payload requirements, and is currently under review for possible reduction.

Thank you all for your time. Any inquiries may be directed to GEE's PR department.

(Design Points for Altair: +15, Mission Points for R&D: +1)

Edited by Istas

Press Release 0045.b9

Demonstrating their quick turn-around time, the GEE launch-vehicle assembly team have executed several launches in short order.

First, the Ares I lift vehicle launched with both a Kerbin Departure Stage and an unkerbaled Orion Block II, which intentionally exceeded its to-orbit payload capacity. Once Ares had expended its fuel getting the payload into suborbital trajectory (+1), the KDS engine was test-fired to bring it and the Orion to orbit, before de-orbiting and allowing the Orion to re-enter and land.

Then an Orion Block II was launched with its full complement of seven crew, Bill, Bob, Jeb, Milzon, Milnie, Matlorf and Doodfrey taking the inaugural kerbaled orbit, reentry, and landing.

Next, an unkerbaled Orion Block I was launched and successfully robotically docked with the Space Station, under close monitoring. The guidance system and remote piloting modules worked flawlessly (+2).

Following this was a crew transfer, with Milzon Matlorf Doodfrey Bill Bob and Jeb relieving the station crew, Shepfield Bobhurt Kenny and Lodhat riding home on the transfer Orion (+2), and Milnie riding home in the robotically-docked Orion (+1).

On top of those successes, we are also proud to announce designs for upcoming Munar and Duna missions. The Altair Outpost version, which has a crew capacity of 9 and is designed for a permanent residence on the Mun (but is capable of emergency ascent), has been unveiled (+2). Planned first missions to Duna will consist of separate descent and ascent (+3) vehicles (each of which have a crew capacity of 6 (+4)), with the Orion craft ferrying crew to and from the dusty red planet. And an Outpost variant of the Duna descent vehicle will, like the Altair outpost, enable long-term habitation with a crew of 9 (+2).

All of the Altair and Duna surface craft share much of their componentry, minimizing cost and maximizing reliability. The Duna lander, like the base Altair design, comes with two mini-rovers each seating three kerbonauts (+4). All four of the new designs unveiled today include the same 2-seat pressurized rover for safer, more comfortable, longer-duration excursion missions (+2 +2).

Finally, after reviewing the Overengineered Compoents Division prototype design for the Ares V, which at 960 tons itself and a payload-to-orbit capacity of over 100 tons was more than twice the rocket needed, the Ares V design has been finalized, assembled, and test-fired.

Ares V consists of a single-stage (+2) 5-liquid-engine core (+3), with a ring of 12 drop-away SRBs (+1) that all fire on launch alongside the engines. This is capable of lifting both the KDS and an Orion module to LKO (+1), letting the KDS burn the Orion on a free-return trajectory to the Mun (+2), or lifting a heavier payload by using the KDS as final orbit insertion (+2). Included in the press release documents are pictures of the Ares V prototype, the final Ares V design, and a test-firing of the Ares V on the launch pad.

This concludes today's press conference. Thank you all for your time. Any inquiries may be directed to GEE's PR department.

(Design Points: +30. All design points complete, I believe. Mission Points: +6)

Edited by Istas

Sitting here this evening beginning the manned Münar landing phase of the challenge...dreading that 100 meter limit on setting up the outpost. Best precision landing I've ever pulled off was 800 meters, and that was the other day when I landed the habitat lander. Landed the rover tonight...4 kilometers off. Had to drive the thing there. In that terrain by the NAM. At night, naturally. And all those extra lights on the Hellfury design did squat.

I'm hoping to finish up the Mün phase of the challenge over the weekend; pics and a full report on Monday.

I haven't done the full mission(s) yet, but I've developed some of the hardware needed.

http://imgur.com/XHsWmtC,wjkH7FS,srpBa8T,9UsMSFW#0

First picture shows my Ares I on the launch pad

Second picture shows the second stage in LKO

Third picture shows the fairing separation (I added it because it looked cool)

The last picture shows the Orion vehicle (it only holds 3 people right now)

I mainly went for aesthetics with these designs, but they seem to work pretty well. I also have an Ares IV that works and an Ares V that doesn't.

(Design Points: +30. All design points complete, I believe. Mission Points: +6)

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing those spacecraft in action on Mun and Duna. :cool:

I'm hoping to finish up the Mün phase of the challenge over the weekend; pics and a full report on Monday.

Good luck with the landing. Don't do what I did the first time and get so focused on watching the nav ball you land on top of the outpost! :blush:

I mainly went for aesthetics with these designs, but they seem to work pretty well. I also have an Ares IV that works and an Ares V that doesn't.

I like the way you have designed the SM of your Orion!

Press Release 1429.@

Today, GEE reveals its new solar probe, which will enter into a synchronous orbit around the sun after being launched on an Ares V and boosted by a KDS. This instrument will help us study and understand solar wind for future interplanetary kerbonaut travel. Scheduled launch date is approaching quickly.

The Ares V first test-launch went off without a hitch, launching a boilerplate payload of 50t to LKO with fuel to spare. Following that was a test launching an un-kerbaled Orion on a free-return trajectory out towards the Mun, to test the navigation systems' capability to intercept and return from extra-Kerbin gravitational fields. The return trajectory was aimed much steeper into Kerbin's atmosphere, to test the extreme g-loads and reentry stress handling of the Orion, with the return capsule withstanding a remarkable 32 G's (+2). The capsule performed admirably, splashing down in the ocean.

There was a mishap on the next launch of the Ares V, where a structural member failed in the east-facing lobe of the rocket's center stage. Fortunately the LES carried Kenny, Shepfield, and Bobfurt to safety, and they eagerly climbed aboard the next launch vehicle (after the engineers applied a suitable amount of duct tape and zip-ties).

They piloted an Orion Block II and KDS atop an Ares V to low Kerbin orbit, where they met up with a remote-guided Altair munar lander (launched separately on an Ares I). Shepfield showed off their many hours in the vehicle simulators and had no trouble docking, then the connected vehicles set course for the Mun. Once there, Kenny piloted the Altair lander over 100km from the Orion capsule, disconnected and deorbited the lander segment, then flew the ascent module back to the Orion for docking. After transferring Kenny back into the Orion module, the Altair ascent module was disconnected and remotely piloted to impact on the Mun, so as to not leave dangerous orbital debris (+4 +2). Return and reentry were uneventful, a desirable outcome for spaceflight. This test demonstrated the functionality of many systems vital to landing on the Mun, and later, Duna.

A test Duna lander launched on an Ares V and KDS, was raised past the orbit of Minmus, then accelerated toward Kerbin and re-entered at interplanetary velocities, to test its endurance for the planned Duna missions. The lander withstood the heat, deployed chutes, and landed in the ocean, where it proved to be very buoyant (+2).

The Duna lander was next put through its paces carrying the kerbonauts Kenny and Shepfield Kerman, launched to LKO and performing a reentry and landing (+3).

Finally, as a test of the true capabilities of the Ares I, the long-distance interplanetary navigational computers, and the Duna lander, another Duna lander and KDS were launched on an Ares I (with the KDS taking up some of the slack getting the lander into orbit). It flew past the Mun, and 83 days later entered the atmosphere of Duna itself, deploying chute and coming to a soft, controlled landing on the surface (+1 +1). There are no planned further interactions with this lander, but its internal and external instruments will be monitored closely for Duna weather conditions and structural endurance data.

We're very proud of our engineers and Kerbonauts at their continued success, and we will of course keep you informed of GEE's progress.

This concludes today's press conference. Thank you all for your time. Any inquiries may be directed to GEE's PR department.

(+1 for initial robotic rendezvous of 'lifeboat' Orion with Space Station on Ares I)

(Mission Points, R&D: +16)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: YEAR 1 DAY 46, 0730 HOURS

KERBSTON (AP): Crapsack Skunkworks announced today that their hardware, specifically intended and designed for use on Duna, has completed its final battery of operational tests through a series of exercises in and around the Mün, including a double landing of the Constipation VII mission, a landing above the Mün's arctic circle and the establishment of the first permanent Münar outpost designed for long-term habitation. Crapsack, in their partnership with NASA, has given their go ahead to plans for Constipation XI, NASA's planned mission to the most decidedly not-green world of Duna, at the earliest possible opportunity, which sources indicate will be sometime around Day 58 of Year 1 (roughly two weeks from today). NASA spokesmen revealed that KSP rookies Lodwin, Edlan and Dondo Kerman will accompany veteran Kerbonauts, Bill, Bob, and Jeb "Gimme Boosters or Gimme Death" Kerman for the historic flight, and assured the concerned masses that despite the rumors and the physical realities of such a journey given the level of technology available, they will make every effort to ensure it will be a two-way trip.

PREVIOUS SCORES: Design 64, Mission 24, Science 1

NEW POINTS CLAIMED: Design +4 (68), Mission +12 (36), Science +2 (3)

All Points Previously Achieved in the Following Categories:

Crew Launch Vehicle (Thanatos 7)

Heavy Cargo Lift Vehicle (Thanatos Heavy 7)

Crew Vehicle (Scorpio 7)

Space Station - Scorpio/Thanatos

DESIGN POINTS

Munar Lander (Katapugon 7 Series): +4 pts

Can perform Munar orbit insertion from Kerbin-Mun trajectory for both an Altair and and Orion capsule (either Block I or II) without using any Orion fuel (+2)

Pressurized rover: Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with a crewed or uncrewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant lander or a specialized Cargo Altair that brings only the rover (+2)

Duna Lander (Katapugon 7 Series): +0 pts.

Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander (+2)

MISSION POINTS

R&D: +0 pts

Use an Ares I in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+1)

Use an Ares V in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+2)

Mun - Scorpio/Thantatos/Thantatos Heavy/Katapugon Series: +12 pts

Demonstrate that your Altair can, on its own, brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing (+2)

Land at least 4 Kerbals in an Altair on the Mun within 1km of either above Altair (+3)

Return four Kerbals from a Munar landing to Kerbin (+2)

Munar Outpost: Using at least one crewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant and a pressurized rover set up a Munar Outpost. The Outpost Variant can join a crewed Altair already on the Mun or can be part of a separate Altair/Outpost Variant mission to another location. The Altair and Outpost Variant need to be within 100m of each other. (+5)

Duna - Scorpio/Thantatos/Thantatos Heavy/Katapugon Series: +0 pts

Have already successfully completed a Mun landing and return with Orion and Altair

Land an un-Kerballed Kerbin Return Vehicle on Duna. Can be either Duna-Kerbin direct ascent capable or dock with an orbiting Duna-Kerbin return stage (+4)

At least 4 Kerbals pass withing 5000km of Duna (+2)

Land at least four Kerbals on Duna within 10 km (100 km if by rover) of the above Duna lander. To earn these points, the un-Kerballed lander above must be landed and remain powered. Successful landing must take place before the landing crew has committed to Duna re-entry (+5)

Duna Outpost: The Duna lander uses the Duna Outpost Variant which stays on the surface and includes a pressurized rover. (+3)

Each landing crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1 each; max +2)

Return the Duna landing crew and any remaining Duna orbiting crew to Kerbin (+4)

SCIENCE POINTS +2 pts

Advanced Technology Large-Aperture Space Telescope: Using an Ares V/EDS, deploy a science package to Kerbol synchronous orbit (Pe and Ap at 1 508 045.29 km +/- 1000km) (+2)

Altair descent stage science: +1 for each science-equipped Altair landed on Mun (maximum +3)

Kerbin Return Vehicle: Pre-landed Kerbin return vehicle on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

Duna Lander: Lander on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

No other mission objectives remaining.

Only got one stop left with this challenge......it's been a good one so far.

Edited by capi3101

Scoring question - should be the last one. You saw how I delivered the rover to Mün in my last mission set (piggybacked the cargo lander with an unmanned crew lander). Would that count as "can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander" for purposes of those last two design points, or am I going to need to make other arrangements?

Plan is for the same lander design to serve as the Kerbin Return Vehicle for the Duna mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.