[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Amen. I use it extensively myself, and hope the creator finds the time/motivation to expand it in other directions. Thanks for a great mod, dude.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I'd love to see this get expanded more. Keep up the great work!

I love love LOVE this mod! Pretty much all my stock command pod utility ships use it (as did my first interplanetary mission to Duna)! Do you plan any more parts in this series? Maybe a 1.25m or 3.75m version? The Taurus pod is great and could use it.
someone made one for the taurus pod. not sure where so you'll have to search it out.
I don't think one has been made for the Taurus yet. However, Blackheart did make a heat shield with decoupler for the taurus.

I have an RSS configuration using the Taurus pod along with Blackheart's Aerojet Kerbodyne and SDHI. However they bump up the size to 16.5' (~5m) to match the real Orion spacecraft. You can find that HERE.

I love love LOVE this mod! Pretty much all my stock command pod utility ships use it (as did my first interplanetary mission to Duna)! Do you plan any more parts in this series? Maybe a 1.25m or 3.75m version? The Taurus pod is great and could use it.
Amen. I use it extensively myself, and hope the creator finds the time/motivation to expand it in other directions. Thanks for a great mod, dude.
Couldn't have said it better myself! I'd love to see this get expanded more. Keep up the great work!

As per my comments in the dev thread:

It's been a while since I last revisited this parts pack.

At the time 1.3 / 1.4 was released, I envisioned the SMS as essentially feature-complete, save for the occasional maintenance releases. Since then, a couple of ideas / changes have been simmering away in the back of my mind, and I feel I'm ready to start looking into them for a 2.0 update:

- Boost Protective Cover rework to make the hatch covers toggleable, allowing compatibility with FASA launch towers

- Inflatable floatation device that automatically activates on splashdown, keeping the capsule and its occupants dry whilst awaiting rescue. stupid_chris and I dabbled with an experimental plugin he wrote a while back, but there were a couple of issues (probably derpage on my end), and so we'll hopefully revisit that soon.

I thought about making the bottom heat shield jettisonable, but I decided that for simplicity, the SDHI SMS Heat Shield would work in the same manner as the one used on the SpaceX Dragon i.e. non-jettisonable, refurbishable for multiple flights.

Your point is? There's only a heatshield and decoupler there, not a service module.

I've downloaded and used them before.

I'll post screenshots later proving that there's service module parts in there. I'm too tired to spar right now and I'm going to bed.

Your point is? There's only a heatshield and decoupler there, not a service module.
I've downloaded and used them before.

I'll post screenshots later proving that there's service module parts in there. I'm too tired to spar right now and I'm going to bed.

Alrighty then!

Started it up this morning and found the parts.

And apparently never actually attached them to the Taurus. They're for the normal SDHi (and apparently i cannot do a capital i now...)

Just another heads-up that, like FusTek, SDHI also now has its own GitHub repo:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/

I've opened tickets for the various enhancements and tweaks I've decided on based on recent feedback - feel free to pitch in as well ;)

EDIT - Dropbox has been (for a lack of a better word) dropped, and official distribution channels will now be via CurseForge and GitHub; see first post for details and new download links.

Edited by sumghai

• 2 weeks later...

I have a preliminary FAR compatibility patch to enable FAR support for the Boost Protective Cover:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/blob/master/GameData/SDHI/Service%20Module%20System/Parts/MM_configs/SDHI_SMS_MMPatch_FAR.cfg

ferram4 helped me out with this, and advised all users to clear out their CustomFARPartClassification.cfg in order for the patch to work.

I have a preliminary FAR compatibility patch to enable FAR support for the Boost Protective Cover:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/blob/master/GameData/SDHI/Service%20Module%20System/Parts/MM_configs/SDHI_SMS_MMPatch_FAR.cfg

ferram4 helped me out with this, and advised all users to clear out their CustomFARPartClassification.cfg in order for the patch to work.

Huh... I've had a config for awhile that just renamed it to fairing... ....

When I am using the Clamp-O-Tron parachute docking port, the boost protective cover will not stay attached. As soon as I load up A launch it and the Docking port fall off (threw my rocket).

However if I use A normal D/P or IACBM version it works (stays on ) ... not sure whats going on.

EDIT: ... I noticed that my Clamp-O-tron Parachute docking port looks just like A normal one .. is that right ?

Edited by neko77025

When I am using the Clamp-O-Tron parachute docking port, the boost protective cover will not stay attached. As soon as I load up A launch it and the Docking port fall off (threw my rocket).

However if I use A normal D/P or IACBM version it works (stays on ) ... not sure whats going on.

EDIT: ... I noticed that my Clamp-O-tron Parachute docking port looks just like A normal one .. is that right ?

That seems odd - could you please post screenshots / videos of what you're experiencing?

I think I've shown off earlier versions of this station, but here's what's more or less the final one. Salyut-style orbital habitat/lab using SDHI service modules with KAS container brackets on each end, and an Apollo-style spacecraft using the heat shield and avionics ring adapter.

26D238363D7BE2BF1B4F9A31ACD8F1F4236719C1

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot find the adapter in the thing

I also cannot find farrings

The adapter and the farings can be found in the Aerodynamics tab of the VAB/SPH parts list.

Also, if you are using career mode, you need to unlock the supersonicFlight node and purchase the parts before you can use them.

I've tried it, and there is a problem. The avionics ring gets stuck on the pod when decoupled. I made sure it was attached right in the VAB a few times and it still gets stuck.

Also, realchute just updated, and (according to stupid_chris) any part that uses realchute needs to be updated as well, or it will fail to load.

Everything else seems to work fine.

Freezes on SDHI_Paradock_1_ClampOTron. Deleted that and it froze on it's IABCM counterpart. Deleting that now...

Maybe it has something to do with RealChute, StupidChris has updated it for 0.24 but SDHI still needs to update the parts for it to work. So for now I guess patience is the magic work :wink:

edit: sort of ninja

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.