Pokemon: I want to play them all, but where do I start, and how?

Pingonaut

I have played Pokemon Pearl (not finished, yet) on the DS, and I see the new Pokemon games X and Y. I don't want to skip the older or newer games, what is the best way to start, from the beginning at Red/Blue? What consoles will I have to/should I buy to play all the main games?

Thanks!

Ping

Don't bother playing the oldest Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal. Since they're old most of their internal batteries have died out, plus they have remakes. Heartgold and Soulsilver remake Gold/Silver/Crystal, and Firered/Leafgreen remake Red/Blue/Yellow. Then there's the third games in most series that basically copy the other two and improve them, such as Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. And since the games aren't interconnected, it's probably best to play them by their age, so you aren't put off by jumping from an advanced one to an ancient one.

So for you, I'd say Emerald > Firered/Leafgreen > Platinum > HeartGold/Soulsilver > Black/White > Black2/White2 > X/Y

Sapphire, do you think Black 2/White 2 are different enough from Black/White that he should play both? I've played Black and enjoyed it; do you recommend getting the 2nd one? ATM I'm planning to just move to X/Y.

Black 2 and White 2 are unique in that unlike the other games, they're actually sequels to the first game's storyline.

Don't bother playing the oldest Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal. Since they're old most of their internal batteries have died out, plus they have remakes.

If only there was a way to play these games on PC, rendering these issues irrelevant...

Don't bother playing the oldest Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal. Since they're old most of their internal batteries have died out, plus they have remakes. Heartgold and Soulsilver remake Gold/Silver/Crystal, and Firered/Leafgreen remake Red/Blue/Yellow. Then there's the third games in most series that basically copy the other two and improve them, such as Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. And since the games aren't interconnected, it's probably best to play them by their age, so you aren't put off by jumping from an advanced one to an ancient one.

So for you, I'd say Emerald > Firered/Leafgreen > Platinum > HeartGold/Soulsilver > Black/White > Black2/White2 > X/Y

Not really sure I understand what you mean by their batteries. What are their remakes like? I have a Gameboy Advanced. I believe it is, I don't remember, it folds up like \_

Not really sure I understand what you mean by their batteries. What are their remakes like? I have a Gameboy Advanced. I believe it is, I don't remember, it folds up like \_

The older Pokemon games have batteries in them, that keep your save data. Since the battery dies after 10-15 years, all your save data is wiped every time you use it. So you could start a game on Red, and head over to Pewter City then save before going to bed or something, then you'd come back and find that all your save data is gone. The remakes are basically the old games with updated graphics and music and stuff, but also come with cool new features that I won't say because spoilers and some things are best experienced for the first time as a surprise.

Well like Sapphire said, Pokemon games are different by themselves. If you played Black/White, you definitely want to play Black2/White2. A completely new storyline that adds up to the first one nicely. I already have 30h logged in to my shiny new copy of Pokemon Y :D I'm on victory road already, and it's already one of my favourite Pokemon game. The graphics are totally insane, that was totally worth the 250$ I paid for that red Pokemon X/Y edition 3DS XL.

EDIT:

The old Gameboy and Gameboy Colour game cards actually had really small batteries inside to keep the game on at all time to not lose the save files. Those batteries had approximately a lif expectancy of ~15 years, so yeah they're all starting to die out. LeafGreen/FireRed are basically like Ruby/Saphire/Emeral, and SoulSilver/HeartGold are similar to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Personally, I have Emerald, FireRed, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, Black2, and Y just now. And just realizing as I type this that sapphire answered thast question right above me oh well.

Edited by stupid_chris

Well like Sapphire said, Pokemon games are different by themselves. If you played Black/White, you definitely want to play Black2/White2. A completely new storyline that adds up to the first one nicely. I already have 30h logged in to my shiny new copy of Pokemon Y :D I'm on victory road already, and it's already one of my favourite Pokemon game. The graphics are totally insane, that was totally worth the 250$ I paid for that red Pokemon X/Y edition 3DS XL.

EDIT:

The old Gameboy and Gameboy Colour game cards actually had really small batteries inside to keep the game on at all time to not lose the save files. Those batteries had approximately a lif expectancy of ~15 years, so yeah they're all starting to die out. LeafGreen/FireRed are basically like Ruby/Saphire/Emeral, and SoulSilver/HeartGold are similar to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Personally, I have Emerald, FireRed, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, Black2, and Y just now. And just realizing as I type this that sapphire answered thast question right above me oh well.

Well that is what I don't really understand. So LeafGreen and FireRed are remakes of Red and Blue? How do the new ones relate to the old ones, and how different of an experience is it to play on a different console?

The main difference between version is the "main" legendary of the game. Other than that, there are a few pokemon only available in one version and the and handful of others in the other version, but those can usually be counted on one hand.

For example: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald gave you Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza accordingly, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum gave you Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, Silver/Gold gave Lugia/Ho-Oh, Black/White gave Reshiram/Zekrom (and inversed for Black2/White2), and X/Y gives Xerneas/Yveltal.

Really the differences are minimal, just chose according to your favourite legendary from the box :P

The main difference between version is the "main" legendary of the game. Other than that, there are a few pokemon only available in one version and the and handful of others in the other version, but those can usually be counted on one hand.

For example: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald gave you Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza accordingly, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum gave you Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, Silver/Gold gave Lugia/Ho-Oh, Black/White gave Reshiram/Zekrom (and inversed for Black2/White2), and X/Y gives Xerneas/Yveltal.

Really the differences are minimal, just chose according to your favourite legendary from the box :P

*not entirely correct. :P In Platinum you can get Giratina, Palkia, and Dialga. In Emerald you could get Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre. So basically your best option is to go for the updated third game because it in itself is a remastering of the two that came before and you get the goodies from both of them.

Also that feel when you're a poor college student and can't afford a 3DS. ;.;

*not entirely correct. :P In Platinum you can get Giratina, Palkia, and Dialga. In Emerald you could get Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre. So basically your best option is to go for the updated third game because it in itself is a remastering of the two that came before and you get the goodies from both of them.

Aye I know, but the /main/ is still the one on the cover :P you can get all the others put post game and that's usually less interesting. And yes, I will be waiting for Pokemon Z hehehe.

Also that feel when you're a poor college student and can't afford a 3DS. ;.;

I literally emptied my wallet on that pokemon edition 3DS XL, I have 3cents in my account until my check cashes in. I know the feeling :l

And that would be? Emerald?

Depends what game you'd like to go for.

I'll break it down easily: There are currently 6 generations of Pokemon.

Gen 1: Red/Blue/Yellow

Gen 2: Silver/Gold/Crystal

Gen 3: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald + Firered/Leafgreen (remakes)

Gen 4: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum + HeartGold/SoulSilver (remakes)

Gen 5: Black/White + Black2/White2

Gen 6: X/Y

The third game for gen 1 is Yellow. The third game for gen 2 is Crystal. The third game for gen 3 is Emerald. The third game for gen 4 is Platinum. Those ones should always be picked over the original two because they come with more features and the goodies of both of the previous games. However, you can ignore the third games for both gen 1 and 2, because of the remakes Firered/Leafgreen and HeartGold/Soulsilver. For those remakes, just pick which one is your favorite.

Also more people totally need to play the Mystery Dungeon games. They have excellent music and storylines, and are very sad. ;.;

Edited by Sapphire

Just a small add on here - for the really old one you can replace the battery in the game easily and cheaply. i did so and started playing yellow (my first one) again.... i then quickly remembered how annoying having pikachu follow you everywhere was.... its very... the answer is very.

Also remember that you can't trade pokemons form Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal to newer games since they did some game mechanic updates in Ruby/Sapphire. This is one reason why they made FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SouldSilver.

Depends what game you'd like to go for.

I'll break it down easily: There are currently 6 generations of Pokemon.

Gen 1: Red/Blue/Yellow

Gen 2: Silver/Gold/Crystal

Gen 3: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald + Firered/Leafgreen (remakes)

Gen 4: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum + HeartGold/SoulSilver (remakes)

Gen 5: Black/White + Black2/White2

Gen 6: X/Y

The third game for gen 1 is Yellow. The third game for gen 2 is Crystal. The third game for gen 3 is Emerald. The third game for gen 4 is Platinum. Those ones should always be picked over the original two because they come with more features and the goodies of both of the previous games. However, you can ignore the third games for both gen 1 and 2, because of the remakes Firered/Leafgreen and HeartGold/Soulsilver. For those remakes, just pick which one is your favorite.

Essentially. Though for gen V, there hasn't really been any third game, they decided to make a sequel, which is much better imo.

Also more people totally need to play the Mystery Dungeon games. They have excellent music and storylines, and are very sad. ;.;

Do not speak of this oh my god they'll cry and never come back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.