"There is no science to be done in sandbox mode"

PwnedDuck

I don't think you understand how science in career works...

Try to explain what you'd be scouting and why it would have any effect on what experiment you do and I'll try to correct where you're misunderstanding.

I know how SCIENCE! currently works, but I get the strong impression that it's going to be a little more sophisticated in future developments. I'm sure the disabled it for a reason.

Personally I think that the entire science part of the 0.22 update should be in the sandbox, all except the tech tree itself.

Even when I'm playing sandbox i want to know what the mystery goo is doing. I want to know how many science points I get from doing whichever experiment in whatever location, if for no other reason than the fact that it's interesting to me

I think you just made a good argument for why it's not allowed.

I was thinking along these lines, but not about this specifically, so it makes sense to me as well.

If you know exactly how much science comes from each activity because you ran the mission without the career mode restraints, then that's going to significantly alter your approach, allowing you to optimize your career mode play with information that isn't from career mode. While that will happen to some extent anyway, it's not the kind of thing the devs would want to encourage.

Eric S: "While that will happen to some extent anyway,"

This is the Internet. Spoilers, secrecy, and security through obscurity does not work. All the information necessary to "optimize your career mode play" will be available within days, if not hours. This isn't about that, IMO. This is about making sandbox play more enjoyable and complete, rather than walling off flavor text (of all things) in one game mode.

If you know exactly how much science comes from each activity because you ran the mission without the career mode restraints, then that's going to significantly alter your approach, allowing you to optimize your career mode play with information that isn't from career mode. While that will happen to some extent anyway, it's not the kind of thing the devs would want to encourage.

So now we're going into mechjeb-like discussion:

"It's cheating!"

-"You can't cheat in a singleplayer game!"

"It's still cheating!"

etc.

Also, you guys are aware that the wiki will be very likely to document every bit of science you can do including the points you can get? Is this cheating as well?

Like Zoom said, the days of secret cheat codes and easter eggs in games are over. Every single aspect of every single game will be thoroughly documented and is available for reading somewhere.

Edited by Psycix

I want everything to be available to me in sandbox mode.... the joy for me is following my own rules and plans for KSP missions... I want to do a sample return mission to eve, I damn well design and build the ship(s) needed

I dont want to have to do a mun mission just to unlock some bit of sciencey kit I want to take with me to eve

Thats the essence of fun for me... there are no rules in KSP about what I can and cant do (apart from the physical mechanics of course)

But then career mode makes it easier for a new player to cope with the complexity of the available bits for building rockets by reducing it to a few basics to start with

Like Zoom said, the days of secret cheat codes and easter eggs in games are over. Every single aspect of every single game will be thoroughly documented and is available for reading somewhere.

And/or on YouTube. Heck, thanks to SQUAD's own Media Team, most of the really critical information is already out there, and 22 isn't even publicly released yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.