Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

With TT neverunload Could i make a mid air refueler or would that break the game and burn my computer in flames ?

My computer is a great powerfull one but i have herd docking is buggy and want to make sure i can

The plan :

Build a refueler with KAS Magnit and Wincth Out the back and fly my TR-745 (Really fuel hungre mach 5 max speed plane)

and "dock" with it

Sounds like a no go FAR might just blow up in flames or something Ill test it but erm it would be nice to know if i dont need to spend time makeing a refueling plane with FAR its hard to keep something in the air with an autopilot (reformer lazer)

Dam it spelling make me look dumb (i am not a native speeker sorry!)

Edited by DXTFantom

I wonder if this little tidbit from HarvesteR implies a bug I thought was part of KAS is actually part of KSP, and will just go away when 0.23 comes out. That problem is, when I connect a pipe sometimes I get a huge, physics-engine-rending explosion that sends parts into interstellar space. Once I got 2 parts sitting on the surface of the sun from it. Good times.

"...today I was able to isolate and fix (hopefully) a bug where docking wouldn’t take into account physicsless parts that could be in the middle of the vessel hierarchy. This was most likely the cause of the vast majority of spontaneous space station ‘disassembly’ events reported so far."

Am I mistaken that the pipes would likely be considered "physicsless" parts?

With TT neverunload Could i make a mid air refueler or would that break the game and burn my computer in flames ?

My computer is a great powerfull one but i have herd docking is buggy and want to make sure i can

The plan :

Build a refueler with KAS Magnit and Wincth Out the back and fly my TR-745 (Really fuel hungre mach 5 max speed plane)

and "dock" with it

Sounds like a no go FAR might just blow up in flames or something Ill test it but erm it would be nice to know if i dont need to spend time makeing a refueling plane with FAR its hard to keep something in the air with an autopilot (reformer lazer)

Dam it spelling make me look dumb (i am not a native speeker sorry!)

I was considering trying something like that with the old version of KAS and Mechjeb's auto pilot but I never tried it. I would have two craft docked together then undock one which will let you fly both planes as long as they are close using mechjeb. The thing is I think you need to have a kerbal do the attaching as just the magnet will not allow fuel transfer. You would need a kerbal in a command seat outside the plane to down with the winch and dock the connector into a port on the second plane. I have to imagine with FAR the kerbal would just flop all around behind the plane.

I loaded up a bunch of parts and brought them to Mun. I landed on a slope (not a good place to build) and assembled a rover. Well after trial and error I had one! Attaching the wheels made the thing fly away each time and I had to chase it. I needed more power and the instruments said they were un-powered, must be I needed an RTG on each section. Things weren't aligned properly so it drove odd and flipped easily. With all the rolling and flipping down the slope nothing broke off, it must be a bonus of the KAS attachment modes.screenshot23_zpsb4bc1098.png

I use a lot of other mods and I'd like their smaller parts to be grabbable. This seems to be done by editing the addModule.cfg file. I could do this myself, but it's gonna be a lot of work and I figured someone might have done that already, and maybe released a version of the file that supports popular mods. Is there something like that anywhere?

screenshot23_zpsb4bc1098.png

That is easily the coolest rover I've ever seen :D I am so sad that I just sent a rover to Mun so I have no reason to build one of these.

One thing I've found, if you raise your little stuff off the ground with a winch, you can work on it without too much crazy going on. I think of it like raising a car up before working on it. :)

F5 first, of course :)

I have two ships next to each other in orbit and I am trying to use the grappling hook to connect them but it won't let me. I grab the grappling hook in EVA with the winch cable still connected to it, then I fly over to the fin I want to attach the grappling hook to, then I click "attach" on the grappling hook on my back. This brings up the hologram you use to attach things, and I click right where I want it, but it says "target not allowed" with something in front of it. So then I am thinking, "oookaaaayyy...I will just use another part." I can't attach it anywhere, though. It doesn't matter if the two ships are docked, or if the plug is in docked or undocked mode. I tried restarting KSP even, but nothing is working. I can't find anything on this issue besides a Reddit thread which said to restart. :(

Use the gui. You can't set the height but it's easier to extend and retract the winch short intervals.

I wonder if this was done as a safety feature because of the issue with hanging parts and warping/reloading.

-There was an issue that came up with the M-1x1 Structural Panel. I set it up so I could load it into a storage box, to allow it to be used like the ground pylon.

When I went to use them on the Mun and place them onto the ground the structural panels just explode. Is there something I need to do to the part cfg of the panels to make them work like the pylons?

I have used the Modular Girder Segment XL this way without them exploding.

I have two ships next to each other in orbit and I am trying to use the grappling hook to connect them but it won't let me. I grab the grappling hook in EVA with the winch cable still connected to it, then I fly over to the fin I want to attach the grappling hook to, then I click "attach" on the grappling hook on my back. This brings up the hologram you use to attach things, and I click right where I want it, but it says "target not allowed" with something in front of it. So then I am thinking, "oookaaaayyy...I will just use another part." I can't attach it anywhere, though. It doesn't matter if the two ships are docked, or if the plug is in docked or undocked mode. I tried restarting KSP even, but nothing is working. I can't find anything on this issue besides a Reddit thread which said to restart. :(

Grappling hooks only connect if they're "ejected"/fired from the winch and hit something

-There was an issue that came up with the M-1x1 Structural Panel. I set it up so I could load it into a storage box, to allow it to be used like the ground pylon.

When I went to use them on the Mun and place them onto the ground the structural panels just explode.

I'm not sure whether it's a KSP problem or a KAS one, but I had something similar happen to me:

I took a 2x2 plate, mounted 4 container bays on it, put containers filled with useful stuff in them, and sent it to my Mün base. There I landed it, only to find out that whenever I switched back from a faraway ship or quickloaded, the thing would randomly jump 50m into the air (or sometimes just immediately explode). After quickloading about a hundred times, I managed to make it come back down undamaged and unloaded all the containers. So now it's only the plate with 4 empty container bays on it, and instead of jumping, it now falls through the ground everytime I get near. :/

Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

This was a great mod before the parts containers, and now this is the absolute mod! Thanks a lot for that.

One thing though: it would be useful to be able to put the containers back on its support once grabbed. I hate polluting planets :

Mun%20VTOL.png

I use a lot of other mods and I'd like their smaller parts to be grabbable. This seems to be done by editing the addModule.cfg file. I could do this myself, but it's gonna be a lot of work and I figured someone might have done that already, and maybe released a version of the file that supports popular mods. Is there something like that anywhere?

If it can help, here is a config file for some parts (mainly EAIS, and some B9 and KW). It allows the ground pylon to be a vessel, so that I can place some kind of 'relay stations' on the ground with remoteTech. The file is under the WTFPL licence (like all mods should be :) ) : KAS_ALL_MODS.cfg

So now it's only the plate with 4 empty container bays on it, and instead of jumping, it now falls through the ground everytime I get near. :/

It's considered debris and the ground eats most debris, especially stuff from Structural.

I reported this as a bug and was then surprised to learn that there are container bays. If you put those on your ships, you can attach containers to them.

Thanks! I used them, but was looking for an 'attach' button on the container, not on the bay... :rolleyes:

Hello,

I need help. I am trying to place a ground pylon away from my ship and attach a pipe or winch to it and put solar panels on it

I added a battery too. But for some reason the electricity will not transfer to my ship. Even though I can control the solar panels from the ship extending and retracting them has no effect on my ships remaining power.

I tried both the winch and the pipe. I tried adding a battery to the ground pylon. i tried different kinds of solar panels and even the radioisotope generator. Nothing allows electricity to transfer to the ship.

Someone wanna explain to me what the evaPart* values mean:

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.22)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

As an example. I'd like to rotate a part 45* clockwise while it's attached to a Kerbal, but I'm not sure which value would do that for me.

edit: I think I've interpreted the -1 in the example to be 'facing backwards' and the -0.22 to be 'up' from centre along the Y axis against the Kerbal's back. At least I think that's it.

Edited by Franklin

Hello,

I need help. I am trying to place a ground pylon away from my ship and attach a pipe or winch to it and put solar panels on it

I added a battery too. But for some reason the electricity will not transfer to my ship. Even though I can control the solar panels from the ship extending and retracting them has no effect on my ships remaining power.

I tried both the winch and the pipe. I tried adding a battery to the ground pylon. i tried different kinds of solar panels and even the radioisotope generator. Nothing allows electricity to transfer to the ship.

I just found this. It seems to be only affecting solar panels that start in containers and it fixes itself if you return to the space centre and back.

Minimal steps to reproduce:

1- build and launch a pod + xenon tank + ion engine + container containing a solar panel.

2- use the ion engine to drain the battery

3- eva and place the solar panel on the pod

4- return to pod and deploy the solar panel. The panel menu claims to be drawing power but no electric charge is acquired. The debug menu reads

"[Error]: Resource System Error: Requested resource (id: 0) does not exist"

5- quit to space centre and return. It now works fine.

Okay, since there didn't seem to be one around yet, I made an edited addModule.cfg providing grab/drop/attach/store functionality for appropriate parts from other mods.

It supports KW Rocketry, B9 Aerospace, RLA Stockalike, RLA Power Generation, KSPX, Near Future Propulsion, Aviation Lights, and some minor other stuff.

Here it is: http://pastebin.com/US3hY9By