The science parts are outrageously large

Sauron

Hate to disagree but I want a 2.5m sized experments lab or some such. The currebt parts are good for small ships (thermometor, gravioli, etc) and medium ships (goo and science lab jr) but no love for larfer parts.

It would be cool to see something like a 2.5m Life Sciences module that you have to stick a kerbal in, like the hitch hiker, that allows you do to science on them to get research points. IVA view with exercise bike and zero G treadmill for bonus points (and FTW).

Stupid question, I haven't unlocked any of the original science parts yet (All of tier 3 unlocked I think and just energy on tier 4)...but do they allow you to do real science now? Or are the original science parts (Gavioli, thermometer, etc) just decoration?

If they allow you to do real science I feel like it means probes are still rather useful. If not...well, okay, that is kind of a problem.

They are of use now. But the rule of "1 result per device" applies to them .. :(

3DMHzc0.png

Here is a science ship with the parts you mention. It looks fine. It's only through my own stupidity that it didn't have fuel enough to get to Munar orbit. And had to shed the engines and be pushed into orbit. Also, pushed back to Kerbin.

It took five hours.

you know, most people would just say 'Oh well' and revert flight. You inspire me, Whack.

They are of use now. But the rule of "1 result per device" applies to them .. :(

Sad face.

Oh, well. Still good though that it means probes can be of real use. I am a bit saddened though with the progress of the tech tree. I think it mostly makes sense, but where I am right now, I don't have real access to probe parts, but I have exhausted most of the science around Kerbin...so it is to the Mun/Minimus next...but I feel like it would be more fun/authentic to be able to send probes there first instead of manned capsules, but I don't have the parts for it yet (I have almost unlocked the first solar panel, I do have the first probe core, but I have no probe body/engine/fuel tanks yet).

Oh well. First Kerbin problems.

Hate to disagree but I want a 2.5m sized experments lab or some such. The currebt parts are good for small ships (thermometor, gravioli, etc) and medium ships (goo and science lab jr) but no love for larfer parts.

well looking at the name it dose say science bay jr. so that sugest that there will be a larger version

3DMHzc0.png

Here is a science ship with the parts you mention. It looks fine. It's only through my own stupidity that it didn't have fuel enough to get to Munar orbit. And had to shed the engines and be pushed into orbit. Also, pushed back to Kerbin.

It took five hours.

You have inspired my next (and very likely many subsequent to come) ship design. I want you to know that, sir. Very nice!!

I have to agree with seems like everyone else -- I don't think the current ones are too big, and if you really want smaller ones a) use the previous science parts, and/or B) mod in some smaller ones for yourself using the rescaleFactor (or whatever it is) in the parts' .cfg file.

I, for one, would love to see a Science Sr. part for larger ships, which can do bigger science!

After I am done doing suborbital and orbital science around Kerbin, I am probably going to bombard Mun with probes to get some nice Science points.

You can get results from high and low solar (Kerbol) orbit as well. Low orbit is under 1,000,000 km I think. I don't remember what the payout was, but it was nice.

I, for one, would love to see a Science Sr. part for larger ships, which can do bigger science!

A science lab which has to have Kerbals in it to work, and generates lots of science over a long period of time, would be awesome. We need a reason to build space stations and or spacecraft with larger crews.

Another idea would be a stock version of the ISA or kethane mappers. Generate science based on how much of the planet they have mapped. Would be really nice if they could make progress while the ship was on rails so you could leave a satellite in orbit and do other things while it maps.

NEED MORE SCIENCE!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.