A dropship for the working man (or woman)...

The Pixies pretty much ready to go, the only thing I gotta fix is the fuel lines which keep getting munched by the subassembly saver, I'll try and get it posted ASAP. :)

In other news after a long and torturous development process Cupcake Landers new ultra long range cruiser can finally be unveiled. This super-yacht of the stars has the range and power to do return trips to Laythe! Coming soon.... :wink:

Wow... that cruiser looks very cool - now I want that one too!

A lot of very cool designs coming out of the dealership :)

EDIT: I wonder if the problem you're having with the fuel lines is the same as with the old subassembly mod. It might be related to order objects are listed in the craft file when they get saved by the subassembly saver, with fuel lines being loaded before the object they are supposed to be attached to, etc... Have a nosey at the second post in Temstar's Zenith thread. I hope it helps! :)

Amazing work cupcake and awesome video, i don't even want to image the number of takes it took to get through the gap in the research center.

...and not once, but twice! :D

Edited by The14th

Amazing work cupcake and awesome video, i don't even want to image the number of takes it took to get through the gap in the research center.

Cheers! It took a few takes to get through there but not as many I thought it would. :)

Wow... that cruiser looks very cool - now I want that one too!

A lot of very cool designs coming out of the dealership :)

EDIT: I wonder if the problem you're having with the fuel lines is the same as with the old subassembly mod. It might be related to order objects are listed in the craft file when they get saved by the subassembly saver, with fuel lines being loaded before the object they are supposed to be attached to, etc... Have a nosey at the second post in Temstar's Zenith thread. I hope it helps! :)

...and not once, but twice! :D

Thanks for that, the fuel line issue has been fixed now, they were just mounted in quite an awkward place to begin with. :rolleyes: So yeah, I'll get the Pixie ready for release for tonight, the long range cruiser is also ready to go, I just want to shoot a little video for it first. :wink:

Cupcake...

Cheers! It took a few takes to get through there but not as many I thought it would. :)

Hehe it seems that doing it while recording is always harder. I just did it my latest video and it took me a few tries as well :D

Hehe it seems that doing it while recording is always harder. I just did it my latest video and it took me a few tries as well :D

I've done so many bloody videos now I don't really notice anymore, but I remember being incredibly self conscience when I first started making them, it felt like there was somebody standing behind me watching my every move! I'll have to have a look at your new video, the more tunnel stunts the merrier! :)

Cupcake...

I was wondering, did you Spam the air intake ? Cause they're few, it should be hard to reach LKO, especially without wing surfaces ! :o

Intake spam? Most definitely! :) I just mounted them inside the fuel tanks where possible. As a rough rule of thumb I try to have enough intakes for my drop-ships to reach at least 30,000m at full throttle, with 4 engines to feed that translates into a lot of intakes. I do draw the line at using debug mode clipping to stuff multiple intakes onto the same attachment point though. Oddly enough I've never felt the lack of wings has held my designs back, perhaps even the opposite. :wink:

Cupcake...

Man, this thing is just gorgeous. I am most envious. Might have to try making one of my own. :D

Please do, if there's one thing KSP needs it's more dropships! :)

So functional :)

It has to be really, it's certainly not going to get by on it's looks. :D

Cupcake...

what a great little ship! BTW whats the name of the song playing in the video, has a pretty catchy tune to it! :)

That would be 2080 by Yeasayer, rather odd looking bunch but they put out some good tunes. :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

That would be 2080 by Yeasayer, rather odd looking bunch but they put out some good tunes. :)

Cupcake...

Hey Thanks for the link, i appreciate it! Lol something a bit silly if your just killing time, mute the video but let it play at the beginning and watch the main singer... Reminds me of a crazy person or someone tripping heavily on drugs.

But love this song, surprised i haven't heard of them before.

Edited by Sigma52

Hey Thanks for the link, i appreciate it! Lol something a bit silly if your just killing time, mute the video but let it play at the beginning and watch the main singer... Reminds me of a crazy person or someone tripping heavily on drugs.

But love this song, surprised i haven't heard of them before.

Happy to help. :) And yes, I think the drugs would explain a great deal. Drugs are bad.

Cupcake...

:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0: Feeling faint, must sit down... How... Did... What?... That can't be covered by the warranty... I guess ridiculous is a relative term! :D That is just the most insane thing I've seen in a looooooooong time. :cool:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I completely understand, I polished off the first version in .21 blissfully unaware of the landing gear changes in .22. :blush: However with the mk2 version the landing gears been completely overhauled with wheels instead of legs and a much larger landing footprint. If you give the new model a try I'm sure you'll find it a lot easier to land. I also recommend landing with the jets and rockets together as this gets rid of the throttle lag, a joystick and analogue throttle will also be a big help! If you want to practise with parachutes you could add them onto the three docking ports. Anyway, I hope this helps and let me know if you have any trouble. :)

I've had much better luck with mk2 version. I've been using parachutes, but hope to reduce my dependency on them soon. I landed one on the island runway (first successful landing there, thanks a lot!) and then tried to get another there to refuel it. The second time didn't go nearly as well, but I got it there after a while. I wish it didn't have such a big tendency to explode whenever it hits something, but I suppose that's the clipping and the way you made it. :P I'll have to recover one of the dropships though because it's lagging so much, but that was a lot of fun! Thanks a bunch!

I'd like to try out some of your others, which do you think is the most beginner friendly?

Thanks!

TheAwer :)

Oh my, if 3 Bulldogs can lift one orange tank into orbit, I wonder...

What 5 Bulldogs could lift?!

The flex would probably negate any additional lift capacity. The outer Bulldogs would be pointing their engines outward at 30-45 degrees.

5 Bulldogs!? It may look like they're taking off but it's actually Kerbin being pushed backwards. :D

Hey, congratulations on the sticky. :)

Cheers, I miss your Sloth BTW. :)

I've had much better luck with mk2 version. I've been using parachutes, but hope to reduce my dependency on them soon. I landed one on the island runway (first successful landing there, thanks a lot!) and then tried to get another there to refuel it. The second time didn't go nearly as well, but I got it there after a while. I wish it didn't have such a big tendency to explode whenever it hits something, but I suppose that's the clipping and the way you made it. :P I'll have to recover one of the dropships though because it's lagging so much, but that was a lot of fun! Thanks a bunch!

I'd like to try out some of your others, which do you think is the most beginner friendly?

Thanks!

TheAwer :)

That's great! Sounds like you're making real progress. The Bulldog is pretty part heavy so I'd recommend just running one at a time, you can also reduce the physics per frame a bit. I think the more lag you have the more likely it is to go bang when it hits something, although none of my dropships are really designed for hitting stuff! Maybe if you write a nice letter to Santa he can bring you a shiny new joystick in a few months. :wink:

I think you'd do well to try out some of my single engine dropships, they handle great and there's no flame-outs to worry about, I think something like this would be a good progression:

Stratos Model T

Sratos SSTO

Scythe Mk3

Pixie

The Stratos is pretty friendly to fly and has landing gear which makes touch downs easier, the Scythe needs more skill to handle just because it's extremely manoeuvrable, while the Pixie offers the best performance out of all of them but has quite heavy controls. Anyway, try them out and let me know how you get on. :)

Cupcake...

Wow... I love these videos so much. The "mist" reveal, the "camp fire" - just genius! I've just got to tip my hat at how amazingly well this video is edited together - including how well you've synchronised it to the music. Well done!

Looks like another Cupcake Dropship I can't wait to get my hands on!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the vid! I'm not sure which I laughed the hardest at... the skinny... erm.. spacesuit dipping, the campfire or that awesome last outtake! :D:D

Wow... I love these videos so much. The "mist" reveal, the "camp fire" - just genius! I've just got to tip my hat at how amazingly well this video is edited together - including how well you've synchronised it to the music. Well done!

Looks like another Cupcake Dropship I can't wait to get my hands on!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the vid! I'm not sure which I laughed the hardest at... the skinny... erm.. spacesuit dipping, the campfire or that awesome last outtake! :D:D

Spacesuit dipping eh? I can now see a whole erotic subtext that I never noticed before, the splashing, the knowing glances, the single tent!? Bill and Bob cottaging alone on Laythe. Hmmmm.....

Really glad you enjoyed the video BTW. :)

Just upgraded the Bulldog to mine Kethane. Off on a roundabout route to Laythe with a hitchhiker on top to rescue some numpties.

Sounds like a cool mission, hope you get your crew back okay! :) I've always thought the Minnow and Tadpole and would be well suited to Kethene work. The Tadpole makes a great scout while the Minnow would be able to carry around a Kethene mining pod which you'd be able to drop off, pick up and transport multiple times.

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.