[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

Two requests:

1: What does the license say about reskins? The stock textures are...not so hot. While I'm going to make a reskin for my own personal use regardless, I want to know if I can share it.

2: Is there a remote chance of improving the deflated envelopes so they're a bit less chunky and so they actually fit stock 1.25 and 2.5m fuselages? A fully remodeled base would be nice, but realistically just making everything thinner and slightly smaller would be good too :P

Two requests:

1: What does the license say about reskins? The stock textures are...not so hot. While I'm going to make a reskin for my own personal use regardless, I want to know if I can share it.

2: Is there a remote chance of improving the deflated envelopes so they're a bit less chunky and so they actually fit stock 1.25 and 2.5m fuselages? A fully remodeled base would be nice, but realistically just making everything thinner and slightly smaller would be good too :P

Once I can get the hang of animating parts I will start trying to make new airship parts that will fit better with both stock and KW sized parts.

As for the reskin I would prefer that you not share it until I can get a look but there is nothing in the license that would stop you.

I'd obviously check with you first (and make sure the HL octopus is somewhere on each of the reskins :P). I'd love to help out with textures since it's one of the few useful things I'm good at--I have a draft texture for the probe envelope at this point though it still needs some tweaking.

Some more questions:

-The Una and Ray envelopes use .mbm textures, yes? Is there a way (on my end) to change them to accept .pngs or .tgas?

-Is there anything in particular I can do to help out with textures (after you've seen my work, obviously)?

I'd obviously check with you first (and make sure the HL octopus is somewhere on each of the reskins :P). I'd love to help out with textures since it's one of the few useful things I'm good at--I have a draft texture for the probe envelope at this point though it still needs some tweaking.

Some more questions:

-The Una and Ray envelopes use .mbm textures, yes? Is there a way (on my end) to change them to accept .pngs or .tgas?

-Is there anything in particular I can do to help out with textures (after you've seen my work, obviously)?

Sadly the textures are set in Unity so I would have to remake the parts to have them accept .pngs (I think. You can try though)

Just a silly idea, but I thought I'd let it go and see if it floats. Is it possible to apply a 3D thrust vector to the balloon, loosely based on current coordinates (like Kethane's hexagonal grid) and later on, balloon altitude?

This would provide a simulation of the wind blowing us around, up and down. Nice breeze coming from the west over KSC, great up draft over the desert, etc. We could use a different dataset for each planet with an atmosphere, I am sure Eve would get much more interesting.

Just a silly idea, but I thought I'd let it go and see if it floats. Is it possible to apply a 3D thrust vector to the balloon, loosely based on current coordinates (like Kethane's hexagonal grid) and later on, balloon altitude?

This would provide a simulation of the wind blowing us around, up and down. Nice breeze coming from the west over KSC, great up draft over the desert, etc. We could use a different dataset for each planet with an atmosphere, I am sure Eve would get much more interesting.

That may be possible but it would require a rewrite of the code base and that is FAR beyond my level. So I will keep that idea in mind but for now code changes are not going to be done.

@RussianIvan

That's one of my very old airships (you can tell by the old 88-88 dish on the back). If I remember correctly, I used:

• B9 - most structural components
  • Firespitter - folding electric propellers on the back
  • The Sunbeam laser - for navigation, believe it or not - I tend not to bother with it any more
  • Navlights - no longer needed due to expansion of B9 light systems
  • KSPX - now pretty much defunct due to the new SAS system and the addition of parts to the stock game
  • HL -obviously

Here's some of my more recent crafts built with my most recent mod selection

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: Regarding the discussion over texturing

Sadly the textures are set in Unity so I would have to remake the parts to have them accept .pngs (I think. You can try though)

It's possible to change the textures detailed in the .mu with a simple Hex editor

Some more questions:

There's a few texture converter utilities knocking about on the forums to convert the existing textures into something easier to work with, and regarding changing those parts to accept other textures, what I suggested to JewelShisen above would work.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by SufficientAnonymity

@RussianIvan

KSPX - now pretty much defunct due to the new SAS system and the addition of parts to the stock game

I use KSPX quite a lot. The last release dropped some parts which had been added to the stock game, but other items such as the smaller reaction wheels are still very useful.

@RussianIvan

That's one of my very old airships (you can tell by the old 88-88 dish on the back). If I remember correctly, I used:

• B9 - most structural components
  • Firespitter - folding electric propellers on the back
  • The Sunbeam laser - for navigation, believe it or not - I tend not to bother with it any more
  • Navlights - no longer needed due to expansion of B9 light systems
  • KSPX - now pretty much defunct due to the new SAS system and the addition of parts to the stock game
  • HL -obviously

Here's some of my more recent crafts built with my most recent mod selection

http://imgur.com/a/Hptdc

http://imgur.com/a/PtVYZ

EDIT: Regarding the discussion over texturing

It's possible to change the textures detailed in the .mu with a simple Hex editor

There's a few texture converter utilities knocking about on the forums to convert the existing textures into something easier to work with, and regarding changing those parts to accept other textures, what I suggested to JewelShisen above would work.

Hope that helps :)

Do the quantum struts work in 0.23??

Not yet. This is a test case at the moment and once I can get it to work it will be replacing the Una and Ray parts.

Awesome. Can't wait to start using HL stuff in my youtube series (episode 1 is uploading now, but Youtube is being slow)

Certainly. I'll probably find some strange way to use it though (Like a primary launch stage made up of octo envelopes)

Alright. I mostly need help setting the node and then getting the lift set right. I'll PM you a link to the part once I have that done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.