[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

Ok so I am going to go on and put this part out there. I will warn you that it is not finished, needs texturing, and may have some issues but I want to know what people think of it. I have rescaled it to fit onto 1.25m parts (I hope).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gzjx9xzo9neslp/HL%20Prototype%20Testing%20V1.2.zip

Again this is still a prototype and needs testing!

Ok so I am going to go on and put this part out there. I will warn you that it is not finished, needs texturing, and may have some issues but I want to know what people think of it. I have rescaled it to fit onto 1.25m parts (I hope).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gzjx9xzo9neslp/HL%20Prototype%20Testing%20V1.2.zip

Again this is still a prototype and needs testing!

Hey Jewel, I tried the Drone Airship v1.1 and I was getting texture errors and it caused the game to hault loading at your drone parts. I didn't think to screenshot the error but it was a texture reference error which produced a null result. I don't know if anyone else has had the issue but if you need more information let me know.

Hey Jewel, I tried the Drone Airship v1.1 and I was getting texture errors and it caused the game to hault loading at your drone parts. I didn't think to screenshot the error but it was a texture reference error which produced a null result. I don't know if anyone else has had the issue but if you need more information let me know.

Can you replicate the error? If so, giving that info will help alot. (because then more of us could try to replicate it and possibly get even more info on what's broken/not working)

I can confirm the issue bulletrhli is having, it fails to load on the part DroneEngine, Relevant log entries as follows:

[LOG 00:29:47.253] FSCoolant not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

[EXC 00:29:47.257] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I can confirm the issue bulletrhli is having, it fails to load on the part DroneEngine, Relevant log entries as follows:

[LOG 00:29:47.253] FSCoolant not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

[EXC 00:29:47.257] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Ah ok then I know what is going on there. That FSCoolant is not my mod per se. It's from Firespitter and it is required because you can't make an engine run off JUST electricity.

Used the new prototype drone nose balloon. Love the animation and the folding cap for it, though I'm not sure if it's just because the lift ratio is so high or what the issue is, but if you attach 4 or so of them to an orange tank with some girders and crank the slider to 100% on launch, the inflating animation will loop, causing the g forces to apply strangely. The animation goes inflate, frame skip to fully closed, inflate again. This will loop until either the unit reaches a stable altitude or if you tell it to only increase height by a sensible number of m/s.

I'm thinking this is likely due to the fact that for it's size it has insane-o prototype lift, and I've never seen this happen because i've never tried to cram 6 rays on to the top of a single orange tank. If you'd like I can test some more or get you a video. I doubt it will be an issue with normal lift params, but thought u might want to know. All in all, its going to come in rather handy on my eve missions :D

Something like one of those 6S Tubes with a balloon that comes out the side would be a nice part to have. Would make my Eve lander better looking instead of having six rays stuck around it on radial decouplers.

Edit: Double sided ones would also be good, perhaps 3 or 4 popping out of a Rockomax size one.

Used the new prototype drone nose balloon. Love the animation and the folding cap for it, though I'm not sure if it's just because the lift ratio is so high or what the issue is, but if you attach 4 or so of them to an orange tank with some girders and crank the slider to 100% on launch, the inflating animation will loop, causing the g forces to apply strangely. The animation goes inflate, frame skip to fully closed, inflate again. This will loop until either the unit reaches a stable altitude or if you tell it to only increase height by a sensible number of m/s.

I'm thinking this is likely due to the fact that for it's size it has insane-o prototype lift, and I've never seen this happen because i've never tried to cram 6 rays on to the top of a single orange tank. If you'd like I can test some more or get you a video. I doubt it will be an issue with normal lift params, but thought u might want to know. All in all, its going to come in rather handy on my eve missions :D

Unlikely as these lift settings are cloned right from the cirrus envelopes.

Something like one of those 6S Tubes with a balloon that comes out the side would be a nice part to have. Would make my Eve lander better looking instead of having six rays stuck around it on radial decouplers.

Edit: Double sided ones would also be good, perhaps 3 or 4 popping out of a Rockomax size one.

That is an eventual plan once i can alter the plugin to allow for multiple lift points to be defined in unity when making the part.

I'm having some issues with the submarine parts. I built this:

st2NeUT.png

BHcsYb9.png

Unfortunately the second it hit the water (via parachute) it went into a steep dive, got up to over 50m/s and exploded once it hit a depth of 600m. I have no idea what happened. I hadn't hit the bouyancy control at all. The CG is dead center of the buoyancy part.

I'm having some issues with the submarine parts. I built this:

http://i.imgur.com/st2NeUT.png

http://i.imgur.com/BHcsYb9.png

Unfortunately the second it hit the water (via parachute) it went into a steep dive, got up to over 50m/s and exploded once it hit a depth of 600m. I have no idea what happened. I hadn't hit the bouyancy control at all. The CG is dead center of the buoyancy part.

Ok so the sub parts act a little different. The parts work to cancel out your mass so you may just need to add a few more ballast tanks.

jdmgto: Welcome to buoyancy-101. For an object to float, it must displace sufficient fluid that the displaced fluid's mass equals the object's mass. For floating in water, this means the object must have a density <= 1t/m3. Unfortunately, the last time I used the sub mod, only the displacement tanks actually had any volume, though that does make it a little easier: for every ton of vessel, add sufficient displacement tanks such that the total displacement in m3 is greater than the mass of the vessel in tons.

jdmgto: Welcome to buoyancy-101. For an object to float, it must displace sufficient fluid that the displaced fluid's mass equals the object's mass. For floating in water, this means the object must have a density <= 1t/m3. Unfortunately, the last time I used the sub mod, only the displacement tanks actually had any volume, though that does make it a little easier: for every ton of vessel, add sufficient displacement tanks such that the total displacement in m3 is greater than the mass of the vessel in tons.

Actually all parts do. However all non crew parts are treated as being filled with water.

Ok so the sub parts act a little different. The parts work to cancel out your mass so you may just need to add a few more ballast tanks.

That's the problem, without the ballast tank this thing floats easily.

Actually all parts do. However all non crew parts are treated as being filled with water.

Wait, why would it flood everything instead of just letting it remain positively buoyant and having the part from the mod negatively affect buoyancy until you sink?

That's the problem, without the ballast tank this thing floats easily.

Wait, why would it flood everything instead of just letting it remain positively buoyant and having the part from the mod negatively affect buoyancy until you sink?

It floats fine without the ballasts because without them they follow stock float code.

Also they 'flood' the other parts because normal fuel tanks do not float.

I don't understand the ballast tank logic

in real world, ballast tank push the submarine down

but mod's tank seem to lift the submarine up

not enough tank should unable to sink the submarine, not crash to seabed

In the real world the submarine is almost fully hollow and air filled. In KSP it is not.

I found that if EVA Kerbal nearby loaded craft have ballast tank, the kerbal will follow the mod float code. Even the kerbal come out from craft that don't have the ballast tank

That was intentional. It allows you to EVA from a submarine without having your kerbals die from being shot out of the water due to the stock float code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.