Veto Aerospace Sunbird

RedDwarfIV

The Veto Aerospace Sunbird is an orbital insertion launch vehicle, designed to send satellites and space laborotories, or even potentially space stations, into orbit. It has successfully proved capable of delivering a Starlab research station to an orbit of Apoapsis 1460 Km, Periapsis 1314 Km.

lk6lz.png

The Sunbird, with all stages bar takeoff SRBs, beginning orbital burn.

RNKKl.png

The Starlab in orbit, a few minutes following the capsule detachment.

Unfortunately, VA made another highly problematic design flaw, though this time perhaps not wholly their fault. The specifications provided asked that the Starlab be manned. As such, the Capsule would remain attached, though with a decoupler fitted so the the capsule might act as a lifeboat. However, it had not been fitted with thrusters or RCS, and during a testing drill it was detatched, and drifted away, leaving the Sunbird crew stranded on the Starlab.

An interesting design, however because it is not re-usable; I don\'t see much advantage over the regular rocket.

Less stages required. The last propellant stage isn\'t even nescersary, and will be replaced. Its also incredibly stable, if hard to maneuvre.

An interesting design, however because it is not re-usable; I don\'t see much advantage over the regular rocket.

That\'s what I was thinking. Possibly if the triangular wing design was flipped upright, landing gear could be added. And if it is just for rocketry purposes I wouldnt advertise speed and/or longevity of fuel since they are cheat parts.

That\'s what I was thinking. Possibly if the triangular wing design was flipped upright, landing gear could be added. And if it is just for rocketry purposes I wouldnt advertise speed and/or longevity of fuel since they are cheat parts.

I use it as an ascent stage. Its biggest attraction is its stability. I don\'t so much care about the speed or longevity so long as it gets the craft up to 35Km, at which point they are jetissonned and the centre collumn takes over. A lot of that isn\'t used in the orbital burn anyway.

I use it as an ascent stage. Its biggest attraction is its stability. I don\'t so much care about the speed or longevity so long as it gets the craft up to 35Km, at which point they are jetissonned and the centre collumn takes over. A lot of that isn\'t used in the orbital burn anyway.

No no I meant if it was going to do a conventional rockets job and nothing efficient within the airspace, then make it a shuttle type using balanced parts.

No no I meant if it was going to do a conventional rockets job and nothing efficient within the airspace, then make it a shuttle type using balanced parts.

Efficiency isn\'t the point. Stability is. I like my rockets/spaceplanes not to skiff out all over the place.

C7 parts also happen to look neat as boosters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.